In memoriam of Brian Ferentz as Iowa's OC

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Just like 95% of other head coaches, the offense is Kirk's and it doesn't matter who's actually calling the plays. If McNamara is decent, the offense will be better, if he's as bad as Petras it will look the exact same.

The thing I don't understand is Hawk fans thinking that somehow this offense is holding them back from being some annual 11 win juggernaut. They massively overachieve relevant to talent to get where they're at....

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Great news!
LOVE IT.

Honestly, someone do a FOIA to see how many folks emailed the AD with terms like "cancelling season tickets" and see if the numbers check out. Someone needs to go troll their board and "check receipts" for people that said they would cancel and see if they do. I still feel the draw for many to put on their tattered Tim Dwight jersey and yell "go hawks" to each other down Melrose will be too strong to follow through with their threat....because i'm not sure if you knew, but their new QB is a lock for the Heisman....and they have a few good "boos" left in the event Petras has to come in for a play or two.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Just like 95% of other head coaches, the offense is Kirk's and it doesn't matter who's actually calling the plays. If McNamara is decent, the offense will be better, if he's as bad as Petras it will look the exact same.

The thing I don't understand is Hawk fans thinking that somehow this offense is holding them back from being some annual 11 win juggernaut. They massively overachieve relevant to talent to get where they're at....
I think more of it hangs on the OL. I know that 2020 was a fluke season with COVID and such, but Petras with a solid OL did a lot better as did the offense as a whole in 2020.

• Dumb
Reactions: Lineup

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009

Don't we all think the offense is holding them back? Maybe not 11 wins annually but I think 9 to 11 would be pretty frequent with just say a mediocre offense

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Don't we all think the offense is holding them back? Maybe not 11 wins annually but I think 9 to 11 would be pretty frequent with just say a mediocre offense
It is but I'm not sure it's coaching. You can only get so much talent to Iowa City. Maybe I'm wrong but it certainly feels more like a 'they've hit their recruiting ceiling' issue more than anything else and they're just in a period where they picked the wrong quarterback.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
It is but I'm not sure it's coaching. You can only get so much talent to Iowa City. Maybe I'm wrong but it certainly feels more like a 'they've hit their recruiting ceiling' issue more than anything else and they're just in a period where they picked the wrong quarterback.
This year I agree and you saw how bad it could truly be. The talent was very bare and you had the same basic predictable scheme as previous 20 years. 2021-22 though you had LaPorta, Linderbaum, Goodson, Keegan Johnson, Charlie Jones and few other talented players. There's no reason that couldn't be like a top 75 offense with brighter minds

Last edited:
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
You can pretty much bet that season ticket sales are going to plummet. I know a fair amount of people that were waiting on seeing if there is going to be any coaching changes before renewing.

• Informative
Reactions: Statefan10

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
It's not like Iowa needs the money, given the Big 10's obscene TV contract, but I'm confident the news about Brian being retained as Offensive Coordinator is going to contribute to a drop in season ticket sales for next year. Gonna be some empty seats in Kinnick next year.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Why is Brian still the OC lololololol.
I think the Ferentz family plan is still to eventually hand off the head coach position to Brian, or at least try to do it. Cade McNamara is their last gasp desperation hope for turning the offense around with Brian running it to sell that plan to the fanbase.

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
I think the Ferentz family plan is still to eventually hand off the head coach position to Brian, or at least try to do it. Cade McNamara is their last gasp desperation hope for turning the offense around with Brian running it to sell that plan to the fanbase.
Never say never, but I would be absolutely shocked if he is the next head coach. Then again, we have the only Athletic Director in major college football dumb enough to potentially do this.