NCAA to become involved with NIL policing

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
The introduction of name, image and likeness deals in college sports has brought with it an entirely different set of problems for the NCAA.

On one hand, NIL legislation has given us incredible stories such as the 51 offensive linemen that signed an endorsement deal with Hooters last season.

On the other hand, you wind up with situations like former Florida Gators QB commit Jaden Rashada getting trapped in limbo thanks to a $13 million deal gone wrong.

It’s truly a double-edged sword.

Normally, that would be where the NCAA steps in. But lack of oversight and vague laws have made it difficult to do so thus far. Now that could be about to change.

NCAA Ramping Up Enforcement Of NIL Violations​

Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated reports that the NCAA is preparing to step up its enforcement of NIL rules thanks to a significant change.

The NCAA and enforcement staff will no longer be hamstrung by uncooperative witnesses when it comes to potential name, image and likeness (NIL) violations, thanks to a new bylaw that went into effect Jan. 1.
Investigators can now use circumstantial evidence (like a tip or news story) instead of on-record sourcing to presume a school violated NCAA rules. Schools can disprove the allegation or else be potentially charged. The move strengthens the enforcement staff’s ability to charge schools and allows more leeway for investigators. – via SI.com
Dellenger spoke with NCAA vice president of enforcement Jon Duncan regarding the significant rule change.

“If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s a duck,” Duncan said. “Instead of putting the burden on the enforcement staff to always come up with a smoking gun, which we don’t always have, there is a presumption. It puts the burden on the school. It’s a really powerful tool.”
Duncan did not address any programs specifically. But his comments come at an interesting time. Not only are the Gators dealing with the Rashada fall out, but Michigan and coach Jim Harbaugh could also be in trouble.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I think that’s the way the NCAA needs to enforce it’s rule. Make it so the ones presumed breaking need to prove their innocence rather than prove they’re not guilty. Since the NCAA doesn't have subpoena ability, it makes it nearly impossible to prove a school guilty. If also add if a player misses deadlines to provide documentation and stuff, they sit until the investigation is moving again; no delaying.

Reactions: isutrevman

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Get rid of the immediate eligibility for transfers and I think 90% of the issues go away.
Eh. I think student athletes should be allowed the same mobility their coaches have. There'll be a lot of cases where the Alabamas of the world snatch one of your top commits near the finish line, but maybe a season or two down the road that student athlete is not happy where they're at and wants to bring their remaining eligibility back to the good guys. That's why Iowa fans were stupid for going after Proctor the way they did. If for some reason he doesn't like Alabama, maybe he comes back home. Not if you burn bridges though.

What I don't like is pay-for-play up front. I think NIL money should be EARNED by performance on the field. Donors are gonna get burned by athletes not panning out (Texas A&M). But the blue bloods can afford that. That's where equal opportunity gets lost.

Last edited:

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
NCAA is walking a tight-rope here. They have no leverage because at the p5 level they really do nothing of value. If they try to discipline a blue blood, I could see them giving the ncaa the middle finger and it triggering the power 5 to breakaway.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
NCAA is walking a tight-rope here. They have no leverage because at the p5 level they really do nothing of value. If they try to discipline a blue blood, I could see them giving the ncaa the middle finger and it triggering the power 5 to breakaway.
The NCAA is a member-run organization. If they are changing rules, it's probably being driven by some of the members. It could be that there are some blue bloods that don't like what is going on, and are supporting the rule changes.

Reactions: VeloClone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Eh. I think student athletes should be allowed the same mobility their coaches have. There'll be a lot of cases where the Alabamas of the world snatch one of your top commits near the finish line, but maybe a season or two down the road that student athlete is not happy where they're at and wants to bring their remaining eligibility back to the good guys. That's why Iowa fans were stupid for going after Proctor the way they did. If for some reason he doesn't like Alabama, maybe he comes back home. Not if you burn bridges though.

What I don't like is pay-for-play up front. I think NIL money should be EARNED by performance on the field. Donors are gonna get burned by athletes not panning out (Texas A&M). But the blue bloods can afford that. That's where equal opportunity gets lost.

But we're seeing it the other way much more often. Look at the playoff teams for example. So much of the roster is made up of transfers that it's ending up that teams outside the top 10 are just a nimor league system for the big teams with national sponsorships. No one is saying they can't transfer, they'll just need to sit out a year.

But as far as coaches, I think there should be rules around coaches leaving while under contract. There should be a penalty for breaking that contract.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
But we're seeing it the other way much more often. Look at the playoff teams for example. So much of the roster is made up of transfers that it's ending up that teams outside the top 10 are just a nimor league system for the big teams with national sponsorships. No one is saying they can't transfer, they'll just need to sit out a year.

But as far as coaches, I think there should be rules around coaches leaving while under contract. There should be a penalty for breaking that contract.

I wouldn't consider TCU a blueblood. In twelve months they went from zero to hero which has to give hope to lesser programs as well.

I'm not sure the transfer market is a sure fire make-or-break system yet anyways. We lost no one of real consequence and are only bringing three in. I think there will also be merit in keeping turnover to a minimum.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I wouldn't consider TCU a blueblood. In twelve months they went from zero to hero which has to give hope to lesser programs as well.

I'm not sure the transfer market is a sure fire make-or-break system yet anyways. We lost no one of real consequence and are only bringing three in. I think there will also be merit in keeping turnover to a minimum.
Yeah TCU is only in the playoff becuase of transfers and that performance has givin then a very solid recruiting class now. Think Michigan and OSU had less then 5 transfers combined that got playing time.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Yeah TCU is only in the playoff becuase of transfers and that performance has givin then a very solid recruiting class now. Think Michigan and OSU had less then 5 transfers combined that got playing time.
I wouldn't be surprised if TCU struggles this fall. I think transfer-heavy classes will be a double edged sword. Some years it could be a quick fix; others it could ruin program culture.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
There are several lawyers who are just waiting for this enforcement to happen.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
There are several lawyers who are just waiting for this enforcement to happen.
Agreed. They're just waiting to pounce.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron