KXNO Sports Fanatics

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
When the show first started and she was off for a long time and it was Sean and a fill-in and the producer Caleb wasn’t part of the show, I thought it’d be good. Now it’s pretty much unlistenable with 3 people talking, laughing at each other’s ’jokes’, and the constant “Oh we should ask 5-0 about that” , “Should I call 5-0?”, “OMG 5-0 and I ate there last night!” Judas. Just kill me.
I hear you on all of that. Someone should keep a daily and weekly tally of how many times the name "5-O" gets mentioned and then present it to them. Might make them take pause but probably not.

Their show is basically the same thing every day. Sure there are little things that change but it isnt much.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
It makes me wonder if they have any way of understanding what works and doesn't work with their audience. I can't fathom the number of listeners who like the 5-0 segment can outweigh the ones who change the dial when he's on. Maybe I'm wrong. But I'd love to know who is continuing to allow him to have that much time on air.
They’ve also cut way back on the actual sports content too. I get it, they’re the third local sports show in a row, but I can’t believe what they’re doing now is working.

Reactions: CyCrazy

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If you have a sports show where talking to a cop is a big part of it, it isn't going to be a very good show. I don't understand it. I don't like Heather as a sports talk show host and it has nothing to do with gender, it is just that she isn't good.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
They’ve also cut way back on the actual sports content too. I get it, they’re the third local sports show in a row, but I can’t believe what they’re doing now is working.
It worked for them on the Morning Rush.

I thought the Sports Fanatics was a really nice show for a metro like Des Moines. They talked about sports, had well thought out thoughts about sports, and their discussions were about sports. When they got off topic, they had fun with it and then would eventually get back on track. Ross and Chris had good chemistry and the show felt pretty natural.

I don't get any of those things from "The Drive". I've tried to tune back in a few times, but now podcasts fill my ride to and from work.

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
It'd sure be nice if there was a local sports radio show on a sports radio channel that actually talked about sports.
This. Im in the area of wanting around 75% sports talked about. I understand that we have no pro teams and the hosts think we want to talk about other things. Most of us dont. There are other radio shows that have the BS every day life talking points.

I think we have a pretty decent sized hockey crowd that would enjoy more of that from the Wild and Bucs or even what is going on in the pros. There are 4 NFL teams that surround us they could talk more about. Always the college teams. Just because a previous program talked about it that morning doesnt mean it was heard by the majority of listeners.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don't think it has anything to do with other shows already hitting on subjects. I mean that's kind of sports media in general, same ****, different takes and personalities.

I used to watch like Jalen and Jacoby, Highly Question, PTI, and sometimes Around the horn, and it didn't get stale hearing the same **** over and over.

I don't listen to that show because the host don't do it for me, but being last in the lineup is far from their problem.

Side not. When I did hear the 50-0 segment I kind of liked it, but I heard it like once a month. Even after a few times it just gets so stale and repetitive.

Reactions: Acylum

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I tuned into the morning show today figuring I'd give them another try to see if they were actually talking about sports. No joke, when I switched over, the very first thing I heard was Travis asking Ross and their producer "when did you see your first boob?" Immediately shut it down.

There are plenty of sports topics to keep these shows busy but the morning show is still mostly just sophomoric humor, and the afternoon show seems to just be a discombobulated mess of topics and has no flow.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I don't think it has anything to do with other shows already hitting on subjects. I mean that's kind of sports media in general, same ****, different takes and personalities.

I used to watch like Jalen and Jacoby, Highly Question, PTI, and sometimes Around the horn, and it didn't get stale hearing the same **** over and over.

I don't listen to that show because the host don't do it for me, but being last in the lineup is far from their problem.

Side not. When I did hear the 50-0 segment I kind of liked it, but I heard it like once a month. Even after a few times it just gets so stale and repetitive.
I’m like you, I want to hear different people’s opinions of the same story. Especially if it’s breaking news. I was just saying I’d understand if they shy away from that.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
If you have a sports show where talking to a cop is a big part of it, it isn't going to be a very good show. I don't understand it. I don't like Heather as a sports talk show host and it has nothing to do with gender, it is just that she isn't good.

Agree...seems most her takes are essentially avg fan Twitter takes or, honestly, message board takes. Seems like she sometimes is reporting back based on what the reads on here.

I think Sean has really developed, but he also tends to fall into the "sup" character too much....or cliche d-bag takes "that's my guy, baby" or just dropping the "primetime, baby" "that's what's up"

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
Agree...seems most her takes are essentially avg fan Twitter takes or, honestly, message board takes. Seems like she sometimes she's reporting back based on what the reads on here.

I think Sean has really developed, but he also tends to fall into the "sup" character too much....or cliche d-bag takes "that's my guy, baby" or just dropping the "primetime, baby" "that's what's up"

This is spot on. Heather seems really unprepared and almost like she is trying to catch up or read about a topic as she talks about it. Her takes are definitely regurgitated from social media. I feel like Sean is still searching for that radio personality that he wants to be.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
This is spot on. Heather seems really unprepared and almost like she is trying to catch up or read about a topic as she talks about it. Her takes are definitely regurgitated from social media. I feel like Sean is still searching for that radio personality that he wants to be.
She literally just reads messages to KXNO on twitter during the show...

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I stopped listening to KXNO in the afternoon. I didn't think Heather was horrible in the morning, but it's not working for her in the afternoon. I liked it better when Sean had Zamora or Stansbury on with him.

• Agree

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Agree...seems most her takes are essentially avg fan Twitter takes or, honestly, message board takes. Seems like she sometimes is reporting back based on what the reads on here.

Listening now, literally just shared a take straight from the thread "I heard a rumor Manning given the option to be demoted"

We need a secret code word to post fake info and see what makes the air lol

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

I don't think she is very intelligent. Being honest.

Help Support Us

Become a patron