Williams & Blum Pod: Time to engage

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Fans making fun of other fans for characteristics they have in common is my all-time favorite. You have to be the dumbest person alive to make fun of an ag school in an ag-dominated state.

I'll never forget going to the ISU game at Northern Illinois in 2003. After the tough loss, we trudged back to the parking lot and some drunk NIU fan taunts us with, "Iowa is nothing but cornfields and losers!" Meanwhile, not a couple hundred yards away in three different directions were...you guessed it. (And in a town named Dekalb, no less.)

View attachment 100111
I went to that game too, brutal. I remember 3 things, getting harassed, Berryman, and Turner "the Burner".

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I went to that game too, brutal. I remember 3 things, getting harassed, Berryman, and Turner "the Burner".

The trashiest fans I've ever met were UConn fans (all four of them) in Hartford.

Almost got in a fight walking out, minding my own business... lucked out a few cops were nearby and saw what was brewing and broke it up before anything unseemly could go down.

Reactions: MugNight

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Someone needs to put an end to that insanity. That's far too many Bowling Greens.
Don't forget Bowling Green, MO. North of St. Louis (just south of Hannibal). Right on Hwy 61 so cruised through many times (look out for the speed trap in that zone too).

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
How would you like it if Jack Trice Stadium was in Ankeny? That's about how far the Rose Bowl is from the UCLA campus (and with LA traffic).

Although the Rose Bowl is iconic and Pasadena is nice, I would hate having our football stadium 25 miles from campus.

There seems to be a lot of trashing other places here including all of LA. Glad to see some love for Pasadena. My kids at this point have lived lots of places but enjoyed the time the oldest was in Pasadena.

I loved Ames when I was in school and now too but the crime in Ames is also on the rise. Was shook to the core when CBA was murdered and now the women gunned down outside the church. When my second oldest was at ISU, there was a string of armed apartment robberies in broad daylight also.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Re: UCLA segment: Maybe I'm getting old & lazy, but I'm not that riled-up about it.

I certainly don't think it demonstrates (paraphrasing) "how divided we are as a country," as CW mentioned several times.

Perhaps I went overboard with that. Looking back, more of what I meant (I think, very complex) is how somebody on the coast really has zero clue as to what we are all about. We don't get them either. It's like we are on two different planets. Having said that, I do believe that there are simpler folks in the midwest who will hear that and automatically make it political - coastal elites, leftists, (insert buzzword) etc., looking down on our way of life. Guaranteed.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Re: UCLA segment: Maybe I'm getting old & lazy, but I'm not that riled-up about it.

I certainly don't think it demonstrates (paraphrasing) "how divided we are as a country," as CW mentioned several times.
The dude literally said it would be TRAGIC if he picked ISU over UCLA. There are a lot of tragic things going on this country, this certainly ain’t one of them.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
The dude literally said it would be TRAGIC if he picked ISU over UCLA. There are a lot of tragic things going on this country, this certainly ain’t one of them.

Right at the start of the clip they sounded pretty lukewarm about how his official visit went. It seemed clear to me that they know they're unlikely to get him, which explains why they felt comfortable openly insulting one of his other top choices and condescending to his family the way they did. I think it was mostly just a case of sour grapes.

Reactions: Cjreimer

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
they obviously came off pretty pompous and arrogant from what I heard. Also, not sure why you would drag the parents the way they did. At the same time this is just two guys on a podcast so I don’t think it’s a big deal. I agree I think they are frustrated he isn’t considering them stronger.

Reactions: Jayshellberg

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Everyone thinks their place is a great place to live. California is a fine place to visit and vacation, but personally I would never want to live there. I'll enjoy my clean air and 2000 square foot house that has a mortgage less than an LA studio apartment. To each their own; I certainly won't argue anyone preferring LA.

• Agree
Reactions: beentherebefore

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Perhaps I went overboard with that. Looking back, more of what I meant (I think, very complex) is how somebody on the coast really has zero clue as to what we are all about. We don't get them either. It's like we are on two different planets. Having said that, I do believe that there are simpler folks in the midwest who will hear that and automatically make it political - coastal elites, leftists, (insert buzzword) etc., looking down on our way of life. Guaranteed.
When I lived in L.A., I 'happened' to fall upon WACCO (Western Association of Crazy Chicagoans and Others) thus truly revealing just how many Midwesterners actually make up what we call the west coast.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Cool - I get your gist more accurately now.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
The fact that those West Coast knuckleheads can't imagine why he wouldn't trip over himself to go to UCLA really proves our point.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I may be in the minority here but if I am a top 35 caliber player in the country and likely a 2 and done type of prospect I could care less if I was playing in Fargo, ND or Malibu, CA. Get me to the school and coaching staff that will maximize my likelihood of an NBA career. The fewer distractions the better for those two years.

mark82

Jun 19, 2006
Which is why personally I have a hard time getting worked up when people act condescendingly toward Midwesterners as these guys did. We do the same thing in reverse. Looking forward to listening to the pod.
I agree with Trice. Blum's "elitist" comments are no better than the comments from bozos from BROCast. Both betray a lack of understanding. But Blum injects a bit of anger bordering on more negative emotions.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Illinois and Iowa look very similar once you get outside of Chicago and it's suburbs.

All of these states/regions in states --

the northwest 2/3rds of Ohio
southern Michigan
northwestern Kentucky abutting the Ohio River
Indiana
Illinois
southern Wisconsin and Minnesota before they turn into northern Ontario forests
Iowa
Missouri north of I-70
a few counties into Kansas and Nebraska on the west bank of the Missouri River

...look about the same outside of cities.

Just corn and soy as far as the eye can see. Plop somebody down outside Columbus or outside Des Moines and they'd have a hard time figuring out how to tell the difference between the two.