Williams & Blum Pod: Time to engage

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Blum is fired up about some arrogant UCLA reporters running their mouths about Iowa State. We engage. Hoops recruiting and more.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I haven't listened to the podcast yet, probably will over lunch, but are there any links to these UCLA reporters' comments?

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
That UCLA bit was hilarious!

I've been lucky to live in different parts of the US at different times in my life, and what I will say, is that people from SoCal, midwest, east coast, southeast, etc., nearly all love where they live, and can't understand why anyone would live any place else.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
  • Informative
Reactions: LLCoolCY

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
That UCLA bit was hilarious!

I've been lucky to live in different parts of the US at different times in my life, and what I will say, is that people from SoCal, midwest, east coast, southeast, etc., nearly all love where they live, and can't understand why anyone would live any place else.

Which is why personally I have a hard time getting worked up when people act condescendingly toward Midwesterners as these guys did. We do the same thing in reverse. Looking forward to listening to the pod.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
Since 2011, UCLA has been to the NCAA Tournament 8 times. ISU has been 8 times.

Over that span, UCLA has been to Sweet 16 5 times, ISU has been 3 times. UCLA had a Final 4 appearance in 2021.

Their football team was last relevant in 2013, going 10-3.

Edit: 3 times

Last edited:

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Since 2011, UCLA has been to the NCAA Tournament 8 times. ISU has been 8 times.

Over that span, UCLA has been to Sweet 16 5 times, ISU has been 4 times. UCLA had a Final 4 appearance in 2021.

Their football team was last relevant in 2013, going 10-3.

Three times, not four.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This isn't just a regional thing.

UW is a really good place for all sorts of reasons, but many of their fans act like Iowa State is 'little ol' Iowa State'.

And then there's TOE fans with the 'it's surrounded by corn fields!' angle.

Ames is a sleepy town but maybe some players feel a need for more of a close knit community.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
IMO the California guys are missing that there are fewer distractions here at Iowa State. We have no pro sports. Athletes can thrive in a somewhat protected culture where a committed person has the resources as well as community support in a family type smaller city.

• Agree
Reactions: MiscRiot

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
This isn't just a regional thing.

UW is a really good place for all sorts of reasons, but many of their fans act like Iowa State is 'little ol' Iowa State'.

And then there's TOE fans with the 'it's surrounded by corn fields!' angle.

Ames is a sleepy town but maybe some players feel a need for more of a close knit community.

Fans making fun of other fans for characteristics they have in common is my all-time favorite. You have to be the dumbest person alive to make fun of an ag school in an ag-dominated state.

I'll never forget going to the ISU game at Northern Illinois in 2003. After the tough loss, we trudged back to the parking lot and some drunk NIU fan taunts us with, "Iowa is nothing but cornfields and losers!" Meanwhile, not a couple hundred yards away in three different directions were...you guessed it. (And in a town named Dekalb, no less.)

Dekalb.png

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Fans making fun of other fans for characteristics they have in common is my all-time favorite. You have to be the dumbest person alive to make fun of an ag school in an ag-dominated state.

I'll never forget going to the ISU game at Northern Illinois in 2003. After the tough loss, we trudged back to the parking lot and some drunk NIU fan taunts us with, "Iowa is nothing but cornfields and losers!" Meanwhile, not a couple hundred yards away in three different directions were...you guessed it. (And in a town named Dekalb, no less.)

View attachment 100111

Yep and now do Iowa City or any town in Iowa including Des Moines.

And what's funny is even from Madison, it doesn't take long at all to be out in a rural setting. It's also a town that prides itself on a farmer's market.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Yep and now do Iowa City or any town in Iowa including Des Moines.

And what's funny is even from Madison, it doesn't take long at all to be out in a rural setting. It's also a town that prides itself on a farmer's market.

Hell, kids from the neighboring school district - two rural-ish districts virtually identical to one another in every way and separated by just a few miles - used to make fun of us for being hicks.

Tribalism makes us all really stupid, and all you can do is laugh at it.

Last edited:

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

At the 16 minute mark
I am not surprise Mods from UCLA wouldn't really respect what ISU would offer MM.

I thought it was a worse look that they implied that it was the Parents who where forcing Milian close to home.

First Parents should have some influence to help their child not make snap decisions and take in all the aspects of a school he choses. I am sure MM was impressed with UCLA and So Cal the few days he was getting the VIP recruiting treatment but that is why you don't let him make a decision on the trip. Second if His parents were really only concerned with distance to the point of demanding he not leave the MW, they wouldn't have visited UCLA and UVA. Also UW and Marquette not even in his top 6 shows they aren't only looking at keeping Milan close.

Reactions: brentblum

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa

View attachment 100111
I was there for that game. Yes, there were cornfields everywhere.

Reactions: seadog and Trice

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I am not surprise Mods from UCLA wouldn't really respect what ISU would offer MM.

I thought it was a worse look that they implied that it was the Parents who where forcing Milian close to home.

First Parents should have some influence to help their child not make snap decisions and take in all the aspects of a school he choses. I am sure MM was impressed with UCLA and So Cal the few days he was getting the VIP recruiting treatment but that is why you don't let him make a decision on the trip. Second if His parents were really only concerned with distance to the point of demanding he not leave the MW, they wouldn't have visited UCLA and UVA. Also UW and Marquette not even in his top 6 shows they aren't only looking at keeping Milan close.
making fun of the recruit's parents was a bad look by these UCLA guys.