U of I approves beer and wine sales at Kinnick, Carver, etc.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I can't even remember. I think it was $8 for a 16 Oz Busch Light, but could be wrong on that. I loved it though. Didn't feel the need to power down a bunch of beer before the game and it was great to have a few beers inside Kinnick. I don't regret my purchases and I didn't see anything different from a fan behavior standpoint inside the stadium or after the game.
I do the same thing, I spent a cringy amount on booze when ISU played FB in Norman, at Creighton this year and don't get me started on the big 12 tourney, that's all day event....I haven't seen anything from fans at booze friendly events than I have dry ones. It's a no brainer, especially with the money getting brought in.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks and iahawks

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I do the same thing, I spent a cringy amount on booze when ISU played FB in Norman, at Creighton this year and don't get me started on the big 12 tourney, that's all day event....I haven't seen anything from fans at booze friendly events than I have dry ones. It's a no brainer, especially with the money getting brought in.

I don’t really care either way, but Iowa’s net was about 1% of ISU AD’s 2022 budget, and that’s before accounting for any increased security or liability. As others have mentioned, making alcohol available for all also takes away some donor benefits. I can absolutely see Pollard saying it doesn’t move the needle enough.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
That million they pulled it probably paid for the entire budget of one or both of their golf programs. It's a no brainer.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Don't let ****** reporting fool you.

For every $8.50 beer, about $2 actually ends up in the UI AD coffers when it's all said and done.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
--------------
From an Aug. 2021 Nebraska Rivals story:
"Iowa will share a 50-50 revenue split with its beer vendor, said Steve Roe, an athletic department spokesman. As far as revenue expectations, Roe said it is “hard to put a number on it” because of initial start-up costs and unforeseen issues.

The athletic department said it will give 30 percent of net revenue to research initiatives developed and supported by the school’s alcohol harm reduction committee."

--------------
From Monday's C.R. Gazette:
About $340,000 of the profits will go toward “research-based initiatives developed and supported by the UI Alcohol Harm Reduction Committee,” according to an athletics department document.
--------------

Based on those statements:
The AD's revenue share figures to $1.5M
They actually cleared around $1.13M
They ended up with a final total of ~$790,000 after the "donation"

So not exactly a cash cow some here make it seem to be.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
How many $5 waters did they not sell because of the beer though?
I have never purchased a bottle of water or any other drink at an Iowa game before, but I bought 3 or 4 beers at the football game I attended last year. I'm sure I'm not the only one that did that.

I honestly don't care if the University makes a dime off of it, even though they did. I'm just glad I have the option to purchase a beer while watching the Hawks.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I have never purchased a bottle of water or any other drink at an Iowa game before, but I bought 3 or 4 beers at the football game I attended last year. I'm sure I'm not the only one that did that.

I honestly don't care if the University makes a dime off of it, even though they did. I'm just glad I have the option to purchase a beer while watching the Hawks.
Exactly this. It's becoming an amenities race to get people to keep coming to games when watching at home is so much easier in every practical way. It doesn't change the atmosphere in any way and gets some more money into the department's hands. I can't believe Pollard is so resistant to it when it's happening everywhere with no issues.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Exactly this. It's becoming an amenities race to get people to keep coming to games when watching at home is so much easier in every practical way. It doesn't change the atmosphere in any way and gets some more money into the department's hands. I can't believe Pollard is so resistant to it when it's happening everywhere with no issues.
It’s also helps cut down the binge drinking studies are showing. Using that data to try to get a state law changed in Michigan to allow booze sales. It’s always been in the boxes so it’s stupid it’s not available for everyone

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I have been pretty critical of Pollard for dragging his feet on alcohol sales, but when I saw the Hok gross numbers earlier this week I had to rethink my position. Their numbers were thoroughly underwhelming.

Reactions: VeloClone

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Next they will install condom machines in the bathroom stalls.
Lol.

What about those roadies. The debotchery was so bad at the metrodome that the goofers moved out shortly after the hawk fan trash defiled the place.

I guess they were concerned that some of it was contagious.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I would just think it is inevitable. JP cannot continue to deny alcohol sales to the masses when many of our peers are allowing it and profiting from it.

Even if it is just $1.0 - $2.0 million net a year, that is a lot of $ we did not have before. And as a SEZ ticket holder, will not piss me off if others can buy beers. There are many additional SEZ amenities (hard liquor, lol) that will not drive SEZ buyers away.

Seriously, it is not as if fans are not pounding extra beers in the tailgate, might as well let them chill and make a couple of bucks. We all enjoy stadium drinks for Big 12 tourney and bowl games. I don't think rowdiness changes at all.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
People will probably be the same amount of inebriated but it increases chances of beer getting spilled all over me, which I really hate. I guess spilling/throwing beer better than Hawk woman who puked all over our row a few years ago.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Even if it is just $1.0 - $2.0 million net a year, that is a lot of $ we did not have before. And as a SEZ ticket holder, will not piss me off if others can buy beers. There are many additional SEZ amenities (hard liquor, lol) that will not drive SEZ buyers away.

Seriously, it is not as if fans are not pounding extra beers in the tailgate, might as well let them chill and make a couple of bucks. We all enjoy stadium drinks for Big 12 tourney and bowl games. I don't think rowdiness changes at all.

$1M net is a stretch. $2M is a pipe dream.

The questions are:
*What's the potential devaluation of premium seating (i.e., how many people get those seats largely for booze access)?
*Selling alcohol would in all likelihood end the re-entry ability. So, how much pushback will there be on a "no re-entry" policy (How many will leave at halftime and never come back? How many won't even come in and just choose to tailgate instead?)
*How much brick-and-mortar and staffing improvements (more expenses) will need to be made to concessions/restroom facilities in order to accommodate additional points of sale and increased use?

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Who cares how much money it brings in? I want the ability to buy beer while watching a game.

Help Support Us

Become a patron