Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ahhh you guys all bring me joy....

Just 14 months ago, we had a situation where Iowa was poised to make an E8 or F4 run with Garza, Murray, Joe W ect ect....and ISU was as low as we've ever been with a lame duck coach.

I can't decide which is more surprising: how fast ISU rose from the ashes or how quickly Iowa fell.
Were they that high actually though?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Fran can't recruit period. He's gotten incredibly lucky with Garza and the Murrays just to name a few.

Getting lucky is part of it. He's recruited quite well at this point. He would have made 4 straight tournaments had it not been for COVID which is pretty good for that program.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 0u812

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Getting lucky is part of it. He's recruited quite well at this point. He would have made 4 straight tournaments had it not been for COVID which is pretty good for that program.
Having Jorbo put Fran's recruiting over the top....

• Haha
Reactions: 0u812

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

It's a little misleading though when you're just feasting on crap Big 10 teams....hence why they get exposed in the dance each time.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
It's a little misleading though when you're just feasting on crap Big 10 teams....hence why they get exposed in the dance each time.

Absolutely agree, Fran is so bad. Poor guard recruiter, poor transfer recruiter, poor in game coach, has poor composure leading to a poor relationship with refs. It leads to the same in his players.

His constant ******** to the refs matters because I doubt he commands any of their respect. Not even the biggest hothead coaches have chased one down in the hall and harassed them. But Fran has. He is a ******* loser.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
So you’re saying Fran is a terrible coach?

That’s interesting, because it really flips the script on the hawk fan narrative that he’s a good coach, who can’t recruit.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
So you’re saying Fran is a terrible coach?

That’s interesting, because it really flips the script on the hawk fan narrative that he’s a good coach, who can’t recruit.

I think he's the quintessential high floor low ceiling coach. He'll get you to the tourney but never do anything special. He got the BTT last year and good for him. I think he's a great offensive coach. I think he gets the most out of his talent.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron