Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I am intrigued. Give me the gist....
Essentially Iowa fans saying if Iowa State continues to play basketball the way we are, we're going to lose fans. Which is hilarious to say considering their football program plays a similar style but in a different sport.

The Iowa State fan over there even said he wouldn't watch it if it wasn't Iowa State. Then there were arguments about who has been more successful (which is just asinine) considering they were going 30-50 years back, and then of course they brought up 2-22 Prohm because why not right? He's certainly our head coach right now.

Either way, it was just awful.

Reactions: mj4cy

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I laughed when Herkyfan kept using football in his argument about basketball. He can't even get his sports correct.
They think bringing up our football history is such a big "gotcha" as if we don't realize how awful our football program has been historically haha

My other favorite is how they've started bringing up Total Sweet 16 appearances, since Iowa has 8 and ISU "only" has 6.
Ignore the fact that Iowa's last S16 was 1999, while ISU has been there 4 times since then (2000, 2014, 2016, 2022)

Lol - the mental gymnastics are entertaining to watch

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Essentially Iowa fans saying if Iowa State continues to play basketball the way we are, we're going to lose fans. Which is hilarious to say considering their football program plays a similar style but in a different sport.

The Iowa State fan over there even said he wouldn't watch it if it wasn't Iowa State. Then there were arguments about who has been more successful (which is just asinine) considering they were going 30-50 years back, and then of course they brought up 2-22 Prohm because why not right? He's certainly our head coach right now.

So the theory is fun to watch, mediocre basketball is the way to go.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

That was me and I meant it 100%. No way I'd watch the ISU team last year if it didn't have Cyclones on the jersey.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

So basically they are butthurt af and grabbing at straws.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That was me and I meant it 100%. No way I'd watch the ISU team last year if it didn't have Cyclones on the jersey.
Oh I'm in agreement! I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to watch them.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
I think he's the quintessential high floor low ceiling coach. He'll get you to the tourney but never do anything special. He got the BTT last year and good for him. I think he's a great offensive coach. I think he gets the most out of his talent.
I think the problem that they run into with him being a mediocre to average is with all of his antics and tantrums. There is a law of diminishing returns there

I mean how many other schools would put up with a guy that has won as little as he really has, chasing refs down the hallway?

But it’s Iowa, they will let their coaches do anything

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So basically they are butthurt af and grabbing at straws.
Yep 100%. The news of not even being an option for the Kentucky transfer while also not landing a single transfer and then the possibility of Kris not coming back is starting to weigh on them.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I don't disagree with this, but couldn't you say this applies to something like 90% of college sports fans?
Most fans are largely only watching their team, regardless of style play.

If style of play is so important, then why aren't Grinnell basketball games sold out and broadcast on ESPN?

I will disagree that if TJ continues to run a defense heavy style, and ISU wins, goes to Sweet 16s, etc, that ISU fans will suddenly stop watching. Hilton will still be sold out. Fans will travel in waves to KC, NCAA sites, etc.

Winning is biggest (maybe only?) factor for fans.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Wanna make a hawk fan squirm?

richmond-spiders.jpeg

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
I don't disagree with this, but couldn't you say this applies to something like 90% of college sports fans?
Most fans are largely only watching their team, regardless of style play.

If style of play is so important, then why aren't Grinnell basketball games sold out and broadcast on ESPN?

I will disagree that if TJ continues to run a defense heavy style, and ISU wins, goes to Sweet 16s, etc, that ISU fans will suddenly stop watching. Hilton will still be sold out. Fans will travel in waves to KC, NCAA sites, etc.

Winning is biggest (maybe only?) factor for fans.
How many college teams have casual fans?