Electric Lawnmowers - Pros and Cons

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
Our lawnmower is 12 years old, the blade is shot and it probably needs a new wheel, and the model is discontinued. Probably not going to cost much more to buy new than it would to repair the existing one.
Considering electric due to rising cost of gas, and ability to fold up and store some of them easier, but worried about the engine having enough power, and about the battery charge lasting long enough to mow our yard, just a little under an acre.
Any experience or suggestions? We aren't going to splurge and buy top of the line, just something that will get the job done and last for hopefully as long as our old one did...
Thanks in advance!

h-man64

Oct 18, 2006
West Des Moines
Our lawnmower is 12 years old, the blade is shot and it probably needs a new wheel, and the model is discontinued. Probably not going to cost much more to buy new than it would to repair the existing one.
Considering electric due to rising cost of gas, and ability to fold up and store some of them easier, but worried about the engine having enough power, and about the battery charge lasting long enough to mow our yard, just a little under an acre.
Any experience or suggestions? We aren't going to splurge and buy top of the line, just something that will get the job done and last for hopefully as long as our old one did...
Thanks in advance!
Not an expert, but I dont think an electric mower will come close to mowing that large of a yard. I have a Toro Personal Pace that I like.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
I have used a corded electric mower for 37 years. On my third.

No maintenance, no gas, no oil. Replaced 150' of extension cord once. Also have an electric snow blower(90' of driveway), electric trimmer and hedge trimmer.

Again,......no maintenance for any.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The latest generation of electric mowers are better than has in every way, in my opinion. I have a Greenworks 60V and I have a couple batteries and 4 different tools now (the trimmer is especially nice).

From what I’ve read the E-GO ones are probably the best, but they are all pretty similar.

Mine has slots for 2 batteries and with a yard your size you’d probably need both. But even if two didn’t work, swapping batteries is still easier than filling up with gas.

If your lawn is thick or gets long, go up to the 80V, but I’ve never had any problems with this mower. I had an earlier version from ~8 years ago and that didn’t cut as well if it was long or thick, but the new ones do.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
The people I know with battery mowers typically don't make it all the way though their average yards with 2 batteries. If you have almost an acre, good luck. I don't go through that much gas with my honda push, 330 deere rider and gas trimmer/edger. I have .6 acre. I fill up my 5 gal can twice? A year?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The people I know with battery mowers typically don't make it all the way though their average yards with 2 batteries. If you have almost an acre, good luck. I don't go through that much gas with my honda push, 330 deere rider and gas trimmer/edger. I have .6 acre. I fill up my 5 gal can twice? A year?
I have an EGo and mine gets through an average size yard just fine. I have a quarter acre lot and mine always makes it. No way it would make it an acre though. I'm guess you would need 3 batteries or be willing to wait through 2 charges.

Reactions: wxman1

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
We have a small yard and decided to go cordless after trying a corded and hating it. Ours is this Greenworks.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Huge lawn guy here. I would have advised against battery mowers but not anymore. The higher end battery mowers are more than capable of mowing an average suburban backyard.

Milwaukee just released a semi pro model that's fantastic but too pricy. The ego model or Toro electric is very good.

My biggest complaint is they are pretty light and so bounce a bit when on a bumpy lawn, impacting cut quality. I still wouldn't go with the lower cost battery mowers, so would recommend gas if you're spending under $400 .

isucally

Mar 21, 2006
Omaha, NE
Thanks in advance!
I bought one last year used it once and took it back. If you are ok with mowing twice a week and using multiple batteries for an average size yard it might be ok. I would say my yard is average and I could barely make it through with two fully charged batteries, and if your yard is long you’re really screwed. I’m not anti-electric either I have a battery powered string trimmer and I freaking love that thing.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Thanks in advance!

It's a bit of a pain this time of year. No matter how quickly I push that thing it will not get the job done with one charge. Not a huge yard either

No gas trips and dealing with all that is great, but after 35-40 minutes the mower is cutting off no matter where I'm at.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Neighbor has an EGO and actually sells them locally. I was beyond skeptical but used it one day. I will be getting one when my current one craps out on me. I was shocked at the power they have and honestly probably has more than the current mower I have. Sounds like they have a good warranty as well.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Neighbor has an EGO and actually sells them locally. I was beyond skeptical but used it one day. I will be getting one when my current one craps out on me. I was shocked at the power they have and honestly probably has more than the current mower I have. Sounds like they have a good warranty as well.
My father in law bought my wife one before we met. Not sure I would have bought it myself, but now that I've used it for several years it's awesome. Works great for a typical yard. Low maintenance and you don't have to mess around with gas cans any more. Bonus, it's quiet. Bought EGO weed trimmer and snowblower and have been happy with those as well. You will pay a premium though.

Reactions: JM4CY and bawbie

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
My father in law bought my wife one before we met. Not sure I would have bought it myself, but now that I've used it for several years it's awesome. Works great for a typical yard. Low maintenance and you don't have to mess around with gas cans any more. Bonus, it's quiet. Bought EGO weed trimmer and snowblower and have been happy with those as well. You will pay a premium though.
Yeah the price sucks but the way I think about it is I will use the damn thing like crazy over time it will be worth it. I might end up getting their whole outdoor tool line over time as long as those batteries all interchange.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I have a Dewalt electric and it's perfect for the size of my yard. The battery won't do my entire yard though, but I don't mind taking a break for an hour or so while it charges.

That being said, to my knowledge an acre is a little smaller than a football field so I assume you are wanting a riding mower? There's no way an electric push mower would be able to handle that size of a yard.

I've seen electric riding mowers at Lowes before but have no experience with them so cant really give you much advice except to stay away from electric push mowers for that size yard.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I’m here to advise against the Snow Joe/Sun Joe brand. The snow blower is weak, batteries last only 30 minutes, and the machine has been replaced 3 times under warranty. They did stand by the warranty but I’m sure when it expires it will soon end up the landfill.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
1/3 acre lot here. Got one of the 60V Toro walk behind mowers. Can get through the whole yard on one battery just fine in normal conditions. If it gets long and could basically bale it I can get through about 2/3 of the yard on one battery. Have two batteries, the trimmer, and snow blower. Love all of them, can’t ever see myself going back to gas.

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks in advance!
I went electric 2 years ago with everything, including 2-stage snow blower. I’d do it all over again without hesitation. I went with Ego, as they were one of only two manufacturers with a 2-stage snow blower. I’ve been extremely happy with them. There are many more options available today. And it’s very satisfying to just go park the lawnmower or snowblower in the corner at the end of the season, while neighbors have their equipment out running in the driveway to get ride of gas. Or hearing them having trouble starting their equipment at the start of a season, and I just put a battery in and go. As for your about being able to more on a single charge, for Ego, you’d be fine with 2 batteries and a rapid charger. I initially bought the mower and backpack leaf blower, which each can with a battery.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Thanks in advance!
At just under an acre I'm surprised you don't have a riding mower honestly. A zero turn would cut your time in half at least easily.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Would like to know what electrics run compared to gas cost wise? My Personal Pace Toro has been hard to beat over the last few years. I never run my mower or snowblower empty, as I put a shut off valve on them. My mower still gets used in November yet to mulch leaves and it like it doesn't sit 6 months to a year. But then again, I am mechanically inclined and love tinkering with things.

In know the big thing with batteries is the longevity for use and for holding a charge. I don't know if these have been on the market long enough to get read on this yet or not. TIA!!