Electric Lawnmowers - Pros and Cons

franzrinkleff

Apr 4, 2006
Do you use the self propel the whole time? What mower are you using?
this is my mower, greenworks pro 60v: https://www.greenworkstools.com/col.../pro-60v-brushless-25-inch-lawn-mower-2531502

i am able to use the self propel on this mower, most of the time, with about .5 acre. my previous mowers had smaller batteries and had trouble doing the entire yard despite being push mowers. when i got this one i only used the self propel when i needed it but soon realized it had extra capacity so now i use often. i often don't use it if pushing downhill, but definitely use it up hills. this mower has 2 batteries. it uses 1 at a time.

my previous 3 mowers were all black and decker mowers. i acquired additional batteries for the last one so i did not have to stop and charge if i could not finish my lawn. which would happen if the grass was really long or wet.

franzrinkleff

Apr 4, 2006
another benefit of electric mowers, is they are really quiet, my neighbors have mentioned a few times how much they appreciate how quiet it is, i never thought it was that quiet while using it, however a few of my neighbors now have them, and they are definitely a lot quieter.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
another benefit of electric mowers, is they are really quiet, my neighbors have mentioned a few times how much they appreciate how quiet it is, i never thought it was that quiet while using it, however a few of my neighbors now have them, and they are definitely a lot quieter.
It is wonderful. I used to try and wear earbuds to listen to stuff while I mowed but the gas mower was just too loud and the earbuds I was using couldn't block it out enough. Now if I used my ANR headset for flying it would have worked wonderfully (actually did this a few years ago on my grandfathers OLD Toro rider). Now I can wear the earbuds and listen at a very comfortable volume.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Contemplating getting this electric rider. $4,000 isn't too bad especially considering maintenance is going to be absolutely minimal. Anyone have experience with these?

I think Greenworks makes a decent product and they were early in the battery electric mower market. Personally though I'm waiting for a garden tractor style electric rider and I have enough side hill mowing that my gas zero turn is tearing some spots up in my yard.

Reactions: Stewo

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Contemplating getting this electric rider. $4,000 isn't too bad especially considering maintenance is going to be absolutely minimal. Anyone have experience with these?

Serious question. If you are going to drop that much coin why not opt for a robot mower?

• Creative
Reactions: nrg4isu

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois

I'd be very interested to hear what others thing of riding electric mowers. I'm all-in on my Greenworks 80v push mower and all of the other lawn tools (trimmers, blower, etc) and love them.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
I think Greenworks makes a decent product and they were early in the battery electric mower market. Personally though I'm waiting for a garden tractor style electric rider and I have enough side hill mowing that my gas zero turn is tearing some spots up in my yard.
Cub Cadet and Ryobi offer those.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
My only contribution is that my neighbor has a small electric riding mower and its been nothing but problems. I will say I think he made a mistake getting it two to three years ago, instead of waiting a little while longer.

He sold himself on the no maintenance aspect and he has spend at least 2x the time on repairs, replacement parts, or other fixes than he would have spent on traditional mower maintenance. Each year it is something new, this spring it was that something had chewed through the charge cable. If you don't leave it plugged in over the winter and the batteries completely deplete it was a major pain to get it charging again even after replacing the charge cable.

I won't name the brand, other than to say it was one of the major brands, because I don't think you can buy that model anymore. We are just getting to the point in development where I would consider it. From my experience and talking with people, they have the electric push mowers in a pretty good place and the riders are getting closer.

Last edited:

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Serious question. If you are going to drop that much coin why not opt for a robot mower?
I've contemplated those as well, but I'd much rather have something I can control directly. Plus, I think it's a bit early in that space to invest that kind of money (for me). I do like the idea of a lawn mower that takes care of things on it's own, though. Would be a nice time saver.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I'd be very interested to hear what others thing of riding electric mowers. I'm all-in on my Greenworks 80v push mower and all of the other lawn tools (trimmers, blower, etc) and love them.
I'm at the point of wanting to switch over to electric completely, so I need to find a good brand and stick with it. I'm also going to need a 2-stage snow blower this winter.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I'm at the point of wanting to switch over to electric completely, so I need to find a good brand and stick with it. I'm also going to need a 2-stage snow blower this winter.

I have been getting the greenworks 80v series at Costco. So far the weedwhacker and blower are awesome. Thinking about the snow blower this winter to replace a 20 year old gas/oil mix.

Reactions: Stewo

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Cub Cadet and Ryobi offer those.

I forgot about that Cub Cadet one but I'm still going to hold out a bit. I'm waiting on the Deere version to get released. That electric zero turn Deere has coming out soonish should share a lot of the same mowing components and I'll let the turf guys get that figured out on that zero turn before I get my tractor.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm at the point where I refuse to buy anything new that I won't use when I retire. So my 18 year old snowblower and 8 year old mower need to hang on for 7 more seasons. Once I move out of Iowa, I hope to never mow lawn or snowblow again in my life. It's too bad because I'd really like to have an electric mower. Actually, I'd really like a smart mower that would mow for me.

Reactions: cycloner29

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'm going to have to use my gas mower on my neighbor's yard this fall to mulch his sycamore leaves. He has an EGO brand mower he got from Ace Hardware. It has two blades but it just doesn't have the pulverizing(mulching) power my single blade Toro Personal Pace mower does.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron