Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I see some people in the neighborhood (Ankeny) cover their lawns with compost. Can anyone explain why that would be something to do?

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I see some people in the neighborhood (Ankeny) cover their lawns with compost. Can anyone explain why that would be something to do?
It is part of a soil improvement program. The city will reimburse for some of the cost. It is because of new construction not leaving the soil in good condition. The builders get rid of most of the good soil and just put the sod on hard clay. It is now a requirement from Ankeny to leave the soil decent for new construction, but for a while it wasn't a requirement. The compost helps add more organic matter to the soil.

• Agree
Reactions: Tri4Cy and BigTurk

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I overseeded my lawn last fall and it it has germinated but the new growth (that was bare patches) is very short but green. I know crabgrass preventer will limit root growth. Should I put pre-emergent crabgrass preventer down or wait a year so my new grass gets some good roots growing?

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Y'all should get rid of your Lawns and plant clover instead.
My back yard was basically almost nothing but clover when we bought the house last year. It's now just a bunch of mud from the dogs, going to try to get something going this year for it though.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Was just in my garden and seeing rhubarb coming through. The ground is pretty cold yet even on tilled dirt. Dig down an inch or two and it’s cold. Not too cold for earth worms though.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I overseeded my lawn last fall and it it has germinated but the new growth (that was bare patches) is very short but green. I know crabgrass preventer will limit root growth. Should I put pre-emergent crabgrass preventer down or wait a year so my new grass gets some good roots growing?
I put crabgrass preventer/fertilizer down last night with the hope it will get rained in today. I guess we will see how it goes. With the warmer temps coming up next week I wanted to get it down before the soil starts to warm up.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
It is part of a soil improvement program. The city will reimburse for some of the cost. It is because of new construction not leaving the soil in good condition. The builders get rid of most of the good soil and just put the sod on hard clay. It is now a requirement from Ankeny to leave the soil decent for new construction, but for a while it wasn't a requirement. The compost helps add more organic matter to the soil.
I had contacted WDM about the same program. Water quality improvements and soil quality are both programs they offer grant money on. You could have played tennis on our yard the day before they laid the sod. Bought an aerator as this is something I'll have to do for some time. Also wanted to do the same with compost to help build up that bio layer.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I thought these were supposed to be applied at 55 degrees soil temp, it's not even up to 45 degrees in central Iowa yet.
You want to apply before that. At around 50 degrees soil temp the crabgrass can germinate. If you put it on after that, it may be too late. With the temps around 70 for a high next week, the temps will be going up.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
You want to apply before that. At around 50 degrees soil temp the crabgrass can germinate. If you put it on after that, it may be too late. With the temps around 70 for a high next week, the temps will be going up.
ISU extension says 55

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I couldn't remember the exact number. 55 degrees is correct. You want to get it down before soil temps hit 55, not after. If it is at 55, some of the crabgrass can already start to germinate. I also wanted to get it down with some rain coming so it will help get watered in.

Reactions: PSYclone22

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
I couldn't remember the exact number. 55 degrees is correct. You want to get it down before soil temps hit 55, not after. If it is at 55, some of the crabgrass can already start to germinate. I also wanted to get it down with some rain coming so it will help get watered in.
What's the best stuff to use for this?

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
What's the best stuff to use for this?
I put down a Fertilizer/Crabgrass preventer by Lesco from Home Depot. I have heard good things about Lesco. Scotts also makes a Turf Builder fertilizer with crabgrass preventer too. There is stand alone Crabgrass preventer from Scotts if you want some other fertilizer or no fertilizer.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
My lawn is small enough that I don't even put down pre-emergents anymore, just lawn food. I've manually pulled any undesirables for the last few years. A quick 15-20 minute walk around my yard every few days is enough keep things cleaned up. Double benefit of getting a little bit of extra exercise and not spreading unnecessary chemicals on my lawn.

Reactions: Turn2 and huntt26

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I put crabgrass preventer/fertilizer down last night with the hope it will get rained in today. I guess we will see how it goes. With the warmer temps coming up next week I wanted to get it down before the soil starts to warm up.
It looks like the forecasted temps are lower next week than predicted a few days ago. If that is the case, maybe I should have waited but not sure.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I love that this is still a thread. No one listens to people who specialize in this.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
The attached photo is from today.

This is new grass as of last Fall (had a rocky soil place, tore out rocks, put down new topsoil & seed in September).

These weeds survived the winter (hoped they would not) and are now growing. What can I spray down to kill the weeds without hurting the VERY immature grass?

(edit - to clarify, there are many hundreds of these weeds. Hand picking would be a chore. I just took a close-up for clarity)
277926166_534128124884677_8780377527140285285_n.jpg