Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The attached photo is from today.

This is new grass as of last Fall (had a rocky soil place, tore out rocks, put down new topsoil & seed in September).

These weeds survived the winter (hoped they would not) and are now growing. What can I spray down to kill the weeds without hurting the VERY immature grass?

(edit - to clarify, there are many hundreds of these weeds. Hand picking would be a chore. I just took a close-up for clarity)
View attachment 97768

Get some Trimec

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Get some Trimec
I'll assume the Trimec concentrate you mix in a pump sprayer is safe for the lawn grass? Like Roundup product, "kills weeds but not the lawn?" I've had decent success with Roundup but its expensive, and I still have a tough time with some weeds. Takes multiple application. Thanks!

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
The attached photo is from today.

This is new grass as of last Fall (had a rocky soil place, tore out rocks, put down new topsoil & seed in September).

These weeds survived the winter (hoped they would not) and are now growing. What can I spray down to kill the weeds without hurting the VERY immature grass?

(edit - to clarify, there are many hundreds of these weeds. Hand picking would be a chore. I just took a close-up for clarity)
View attachment 97768

Trimec works well (as has been mentioned).

I've also had success with this. You can find it at Home Depot and Lowes.

Looks like you had pretty good results from your seeding last fall!

If you are worried about the immature grass, you can always wait a couple weeks before tackling the weeds. Good luck!

Reactions: khardbored

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'll assume the Trimec concentrate you mix in a pump sprayer is safe for the lawn grass? Like Roundup product, "kills weeds but not the lawn?" I've had decent success with Roundup but its expensive, and I still have a tough time with some weeds. Takes multiple application. Thanks!

Yes, you will be fine. It will only kill broadleaves.

Reactions: FallOf81

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Ya try that.

I have a similar thing in my patch of new grass. I lost a bunch of sod in the drought last year and seeded last fall as well as a week ago. Just yesterday, I had hundreds of what look like little succulents pop up. I got home late so didn't get a great look but would like to attack it this weekend. That Trimec says to use it on "established" lawns so I'm guessing I shouldn't use it if I recently seeded? I put down a "weed n' feed" that was safe for new seeds when I seeded but it clearly didn't work against this stuff.

On the top of our hill we had a REALLY bad weed problem (first place to dry and therefore die in the drought) and it looks like most of them survived the winter and are now growing like crazy. Other than going scorched earth I'm not sure what to do. I'm afraid to spray as it may prevent the seeds from germinating. Would it make sense to just keep mowing the weeds down to keep them from at least blocking the light?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I have a similar thing in my patch of new grass. I lost a bunch of sod in the drought last year and seeded last fall as well as a week ago. Just yesterday, I had hundreds of what look like little succulents pop up. I got home late so didn't get a great look but would like to attack it this weekend. That Trimec says to use it on "established" lawns so I'm guessing I shouldn't use it if I recently seeded? I put down a "weed n' feed" that was safe for new seeds when I seeded but it clearly didn't work against this stuff.

On the top of our hill we had a REALLY bad weed problem (first place to dry and therefore die in the drought) and it looks like most of them survived the winter and are now growing like crazy. Other than going scorched earth I'm not sure what to do. I'm afraid to spray as it may prevent the seeds from germinating. Would it make sense to just keep mowing the weeds down to keep them from at least blocking the light?

Established doesnt mean in terms of years or months. It mean when you have a viable stand of grass, not little seedlings just emerging.

Reactions: khardbored

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
Please follow the instructions/label closely. Don't spray when it is very windy or really hot. Trimec contains one chemical (dicamba) that loves to move around and damage non-weedy broadleaves.

mkadlmkadl

Dec 5, 2017
It will stunt or almost kill bluegrass if the weather is hot dry and the grass is stressed. I have done it.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
So when is everyone setting their "First Mow" holiday this year? Crack a cold one on a cold day and tackle it this Saturday before we get an inch of snow...or wait it out through the midweek moisture next week to get a 70 degree mow in?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
So when is everyone setting their "First Mow" holiday this year? Crack a cold one on a cold day and tackle it this Saturday before we get an inch of snow...or wait it out through the midweek moisture next week to get a 70 degree mow in?

Mine has greened up a ton since putting down the weed and feed Monday but I’m nowhere close to mowing.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
I put starter fertilizer down on April 4th and expected to have first mow early next week. However, I think the cold weather has slowed growth down. The lawn is greening up but not really growing yet. I’m guessing next weekend or early the following week now - maybe around the 25th-ish.

• Agree
Reactions: tim_redd

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I’m sure my neighbor will have his mowed twice before I do mine once, but then again he keeps his about the height of a putting green.