Last 8 games..

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Did you see George fight for three offensive rebounds & miss all three put backs? Our 4 “Bigs” can not score in the paint & our 3pt shooting is atrocious excluding Grill. IB can’t/won’t go right & Hunter can drive but is inconsistent. This team has shooting flaws & the B12 knows it. Doesn’t help any that they really work D which may affect the shooting (FT%). I am not going to rip on this team. They are way better than the Prohm embarrassment & they BEAT the HELL out of Iowa which makes it a great year!

You had me until the bolded.

That was a satisfying win but that's about it.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
You had me until the bolded.

That was a satisfying win but that's about it.
To each his own. My father was a letterman @ ISU & I tell folks I had no choice, I was conceived a Cyclone and know no better. I actually have no ill will toward the Iowa athletes, it’s their ignorant arrogant obnoxious ahole fans that trip my trigger. And Texas is a close 2nd.

Reactions: CyBobby and NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
To each his own. My father was a letterman @ ISU & I tell folks I had no choice, I was conceived a Cyclone and know no better. I actually have no ill will toward the Iowa athletes, it’s their ignorant arrogant obnoxious ahole fans that trip my trigger. And Texas is a close 2nd.

Yeah I grew up an ISU fan too but when it comes to basketball, Big 8 and Big 12 are far and above anything Iowa by quite a large margin.

That win was actually good this time BECAUSE of their players' behaviors over the years.

• Love
Reactions: CyBobby

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Does it seem like the half court offense passes a lot, but always to someone running and facing away from the basket? Thus no threat to shoot OR drive, and the defender can play super aggressive because the guy catching the ball is just going to stop and have to regroup before he can do anything. Not to mention if allows them to try and jump the pass, but if they miss they have time to recover.

It's just a scheme that is trying to be "safe" and prevent turnovers, but it actuality it's non-threatening to the defense and allows them to be aggressive and overplay. The result has been worse looks and more live ball turnovers leading to run outs.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
These stats are incredible...and I meant that in a not good definition...

I am really not trying to pick on Gabe but single him out to prove an overall three point shooting issue.

Since the loss @ Texas Tech...
  • Gabe is 4-35 from three for a stunning 11%
  • Our TEAM is 40 for 160 from three for 25%
  • We are averaging shooting 23 three pointers per game
  • WHY ARE WE SHOOTING THAT MANY THREES WHEN WE AREN'T A THREE POINT SHOOTING TEAM

Because our offensive structure is a cluster F and we have to jack up a 3 before the shot clock runs out

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and 67CY

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Does it seem like the half court offense passes a lot, but always to someone running and facing away from the basket? Thus no threat to shoot OR drive, and the defender can play super aggressive because the guy catching the ball is just going to stop and have to regroup before he can do anything. Not to mention if allows them to try and jump the pass, but if they miss they have time to recover.

It's just a scheme that is trying to be "safe" and prevent turnovers, but it actuality it's non-threatening to the defense and allows them to be aggressive and overplay. The result has been worse looks and more live ball turnovers leading to run outs.
I really agree with this. I think there's a part of it that is the staff wanting to use the shot clock a bit and minimize the amount of possessions in the game, which I don't agree with but can understand why they would maybe do that. However, the offense is clearly hurt by the lack of urgency to get anything going to the basket IMO. Not even just recorded turnovers and run outs, but how many times a game do they end up having to force a bad shot because the shot clock is running out?

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
I really agree with this. I think there's a part of it that is the staff wanting to use the shot clock a bit and minimize the amount of possessions in the game, which I don't agree with but can understand why they would maybe do that. However, the offense is clearly hurt by the lack of urgency to get anything going to the basket IMO. Not even just recorded turnovers and run outs, but how many times a game do they end up having to force a bad shot because the shot clock is running out?
I am glad to see the passing and motion from this offense, vs. last year when we had no passing or motion and we depended on a player trying to dribble penetrate at the end of the shot clock.

This team over performed in non-conference play...probably performing where they should right now in conference play.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I've been sitting here thinking all along that Kansas State at home will be our easiest remaining game. After looking at their schedule, I sadly am predicting a loss in Hilton.

Their record is not good at 12-10 but look at their close games and who they've beaten...
  • Lost to Marquette by 1
  • Lost @ Oklahoma by 2
  • Lost @ West Virginia by 3
  • Lost to TCU by 3
  • Won vs Texas Tech by 11
  • Won @ Texas by 1
  • Lost to KU by 3 (after being up 16 at half)
  • Won vs Oklahoma State by 3
  • Won @ TCU by 12
They are literally a bounce here or a three pointer there away from being 8-2 in the league. Gulp.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
While I agree the team is trending poorly, I still think they will find 3-4 more wins. Might have to tell some guys on the team to step it up on defense, and a few guys not to shoot unless it is a layup or a dunk.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Does anyone know if this is the offense TJ ran at SD and UNLV?
If it was run at SD, I don't think it was wise to try to run it here. A player like Mike Daum would not only be a better fit, but especially at that level that kind of player can cover a lot of issues with specific schemes.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
My Brother in Law who is an Iowa State Alum, Who Lives around Austin TX will tell you that Texas Fans are FAR WORSE THAN IOWA FANS...MORE ENTITLED...MORE BRAGGERTS WHEN WINNING...AND JUST DOWN RIGHT POOR ASS PEOPLE ....

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
4-4 would get Iowa State in but that is a talk task for how this team is playing right now.
Not convinced 7-11 is going to get ISU in the NCAA Tournament. That would likely move ISU out of the Big12 Tournament Wednesday opener to play KU, Baylor or TT in the first round. Not really optimistic we could beat those teams, so a 7-12 record against Big12 opponents.

I know the analytics folks love to cite Quad 1 wins but remember the selection committee is made up of reps from other conferences. So putting ISU in after going 7-12 the last 2 months of the season, means one fewer team for another P6 conference.

That said, our upcoming 6 game window is against teams we can beat:

K-State - 2x
OU, OSU, WVU in Hilton
TCU on the road

IMO if we can't go 5-1 against that group, we don't deserve to be an NCAA Tournament team.

Reactions: CyBobby

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not convinced 7-11 is going to get ISU in the NCAA Tournament. That would likely move ISU out of the Big12 Tournament Wednesday opener to play KU, Baylor or TT in the first round. Not really optimistic we could beat those teams, so a 7-12 record against Big12 opponents.

I know the analytics folks love to cite Quad 1 wins but remember the selection committee is made up of reps from other conferences. So putting ISU in after going 7-12 the last 2 months of the season, means one fewer team for another P6 conference.

That said, our upcoming 6 game window is against teams we can beat:

K-State - 2x
OU, OSU, WVU in Hilton
TCU on the road

IMO if we can't go 5-1 against that group, we don't deserve to be an NCAA Tournament team.

Other P6 conferences suck pretty bad this year though. One year the Pac 12 only got one team.

Help Support Us

Become a patron