Last 8 games..

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Bruce W. is no Bruce Wayne and he is jealous of ISU fans. Bramlage is now known as the Octagon with Room.

Once again, these folks view Des Moines as some sort of gigantic metropolitan area. Where do they come up with this stuff?

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
And that is what? We beat them and they aren’t impressive.

I get that. I don't like Iowa and I severely dislike Bobo. But they have one of the best basketball players in the nation on their team. That team just scored 110 points.............Those 2 stats alone will give them the nod. And if I wasn't so biased, I would say rightfully so.

• Dumb
Reactions: SolarGarlic

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I get that. I don't like Iowa and I severely dislike Bobo. But they have one of the best basketball players in the nation on their team. That team just scored 110 points.............Those 2 stats alone will give them the nod. And if I wasn't so biased, I would say rightfully so.

I am rooting for Iowa to win (beat Sparty for example) to help ISU's rankings, but Maryland is currently 120th in defensive efficiency rankings. The lowest Big 12 team is 38th (K-state by the way), and half the teams are in the top 20 in those defense rankings. ISU is playing in a different league.

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
So one game where their offense went bananas against a bad Maryland team did it for you? They also gave up almost 90 on the flip side. People love offense but it’s the same thing every year with Iowa. Gaudy offense, terrible defense and then runs into a tougher, more athletic team in the tournament and gets hammered.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I am rooting for Iowa to win (beat Sparty for example) to help ISU's rankings, but Maryland is currently 120th in defensive efficiency rankings. The lowest Big 12 team is 38th (K-state by the way), and half the teams are in the top 20 in those defense rankings. ISU is playing in a different league.
Correct. The Big 12 and most of the SEC would grind Iowa down to nothing this deep into the conference season.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

The intensity levels are on completely different planes. Comparing a Big 12 game to that Maryland/Iowa game is laughable. Players jog up and down the court, float into wide open shots, and generally play at a less urgent pace. The rim isn't protected. The low-level Big 10 games are pathetic, and I'm not sure I've ever seen that. It has an AAU feel to it some nights.

Iowa will be fine against any defense that isn't physical or aggressive. Murray is really good and thrives on beating lazy defenses.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big 10 flame out again in the tourney based on their style of play. It isn't as tough/defensive as it used to be.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
So one game where their offense went bananas against a bad Maryland team did it for you? They also gave up almost 90 on the flip side. People love offense but it’s the same thing every year with Iowa. Gaudy offense, terrible defense and then runs into a tougher, more athletic team in the tournament and gets hammered.

Again, I get it. I really do. But RIGHT NOW, the committee sees a bubble team who has one of the best players on the team and recently scored 100 points. Yes I fully understand it was against a miserable Maryland team. But 100 points is 100 points. Meanwhile Iowa State is struggling to score points in the most difficult conference in the nation. Do I hope Politics and Public Perception dont come into play in the committees decision? Absolutely! If you had your choice of which 2 teams get the last spot: Which team will cause the most TV's to turn on? Right Now? A team that recently scored 100 or a team that recently scored 47? I get it, The Big 10 is inflated, but do unbiased people care?

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones1969

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
The intensity levels are on completely different planes. Comparing a Big 12 game to that Maryland/Iowa game is laughable. Players jog up and down the court, float into wide open shots, and generally play at a less urgent pace. The rim isn't protected. The low-level Big 10 games are pathetic, and I'm not sure I've ever seen that. It has an AAU feel to it some nights.

Iowa will be fine against any defense that isn't physical or aggressive. Murray is really good and thrives on beating lazy defenses.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big 10 flame out again in the tourney based on their style of play. It isn't as tough/defensive as it used to be.

I agree 100% But the average viewer come mid march doesnt know that nor do they care. Everyone knows the Big 12 is 4 times as tough as the Big 10. Everyone knows it............ but the average outsider isnt smart enough to realize that West Virginia would probably be a front runner in the Big 10 right now. The computer spitting out rankings and stats doesnt have eyeballs and it cant smell.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I agree 100% But the average viewer come mid march doesnt know that nor do they care. Everyone knows the Big 12 is 4 times as tough as the Big 10. Everyone knows it............ but the average outsider isnt smart enough to realize that West Virginia would probably be a front runner in the Big 10 right now. The computer spitting out rankings and stats doesnt have eyeballs and it cant smell.

The selection committee does not care about conference records, and they haven't since a 5-9 ISU team made it (deservedly so), which some of us old a-holes remember well as Orr was on ESPN's coverage...

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Again, I get it. I really do. But RIGHT NOW, the committee sees a bubble team who has one of the best players on the team and recently scored 100 points. Yes I fully understand it was against a miserable Maryland team. But 100 points is 100 points. Meanwhile Iowa State is struggling to score points in the most difficult conference in the nation. Do I hope Politics and Public Perception dont come into play in the committees decision? Absolutely! If you had your choice of which 2 teams get the last spot: Which team will cause the most TV's to turn on? Right Now? A team that recently scored 100 or a team that recently scored 47? I get it, The Big 10 is inflated, but do unbiased people care?
Whoa you have gone way too far down the path of overthinking and analyzing what the committee does for selecting teams IMO. I don’t know exactly either but I guarantee none of what you said plays into it. Ben Simmons was a massive name and they left that LSU team out of the tournament if I recall.

Unless your name is Duke or Kentucky (something like that) not a single school is moving any needle for that decision to be made the way you laid it out. Nobody outside of Iowa gives two ***** about Iowa or Iowa State.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Whoa you have gone way too far down the path of overthinking and analyzing what the committee does for selecting teams IMO. I don’t know exactly either but I guarantee none of what you said plays into it. Ben Simmons was a massive name and they left that LSU team out of the tournament if I recall.

Unless your name is Duke or Kentucky (something like that) not a single school is moving any needle for that decision to be made the way you laid it out. Nobody outside of Iowa gives two ***** about Iowa or Iowa State.
They're also not looking at points scored. They're looking at records and efficiency numbers, that's it. They don't have time to go team by team and look at individual games. Oh and by the way, they're not watching all these games either.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I put a unit on K-State money line for the game ISU is favored by 5.5. if we win, great, if not I'll get paid a little.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Bruce W. is no Bruce Wayne and he is jealous of ISU fans. Bramlage is now known as the Octagon with Room.

I have made the journey to KState for a couple of football games and I have to tell you that its not an easy drive from Central Iowa ....I know its disheartening for Bruce Weber to see a FULL HILTON COLISEUM and an Near Empty Bramlege but WINNING is imperative if you want a full house in most college venues!!

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Dude, our net is already 32 and it’s about to fall another 4-5 spots tomorrow. It’s been in free fall and we are already in bubble territory if the season ended today.
Show me who has us in “bubble territory”

everything I’ve seen were still firmly in on the 7 through 10 line. 4-4 and we are easily i safely

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

We say this alot and it rarely happens. While I hope they all lose first round, I wouldn't be surprised to see them perform as good or better than the B12 and SEC. It's a complete coin flip in the tournament IMO.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
We say this alot and it rarely happens. While I hope they all lose first round, I wouldn't be surprised to see them perform as good or better than the B12 and SEC. It's a complete coin flip in the tournament IMO.

It happened last year.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Last year almost shouldn't count given the weird covid season, but I get it.

The Big 10 historically has been an extremely physical league, but with 14 teams and a lot of new coaches, it's not nearly as physical or intense as it used to be.

It's watered down. Only 5 teams are in the top 50 in defensive efficiency. Michigan State, which is usually known for its physical play and hard-nosed defense, is 50th. Purdue, thought to be the most serious national title contender in the league, is 128th!

I also tire of ISU fans constantly talking down about the Big 10 when it's proved to be one of the top conferences, but I think there is something to their new style of play and its watered down schedule not having them ready for tournament play.

We never really know, and that's the beauty of college basketball, but I know if we make it to the tournament, I'll be happy to play someone outside our conference.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The Big 10 historically has been an extremely physical league, but with 14 teams and a lot of new coaches, it's not nearly as physical or intense as it used to be.

It's watered down. Only 5 teams are in the top 50 in defensive efficiency. Michigan State, which is usually known for its physical play and hard-nosed defense, is 50th. Purdue, thought to be the most serious national title contender in the league, is 128th!

I also tire of ISU fans constantly talking down about the Big 10 when it's proved to be one of the top conferences, but I think there is something to their new style of play and its watered down schedule not having them ready for tournament play.

We never really know, and that's the beauty of college basketball, but I know if we make it to the tournament, I'll be happy to play someone outside our conference.

Nah they'll stick with the 'beat up on each other' mantra like always even though that has nothing to do with the tournament just like how football season has nothing to do with a bowl game a month later.

The Big 12 has good defenses but I won't be surprised to see some teams get run out of the NCAA tourney.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron