****Official Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread****

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This is a non-issue in the thread IMO. However, it's been a running joke that white guys are heady, scrappy, coaches on the floor, while Black guys are freakishly athletic. Yet Grill is pretty athletic, Tre Jackson, not so much. Regardless, let's not have this discussion of the incoming class get derailed.

Which reminds me of a pet peeve. There just can't be that many "freak" athletes!
I really hate, "well spoken".

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Anybody else concerned with size becoming a factor next year? We are already a short team 1-3, but we are adding two 6'3'' guards and a 6'6'' wing who seems to project more as a stretch 4. I know Tre King will arrive but at a generous 6'8'' is he expected to man the 5? It just seems like we are gonna be primed to get pushed around and scored on in the paint a lot.

If we have Jones, Kunc, Enaruna and King on next year's squad, I have zero issue with the height of our 4/5 players. BTW Tre King is listed at 6'7"/235 on the ISU website. Unless something suddenly changes and Big 12 schools start recruiting traditional posts (6'10"+/ 250 lb.+), the Clones are tall enough.

Heck, just look at the top 10 rebounders on Big12 Teams
  1. Smith (K-State) - Guard
  2. Brockington (ISU) - Guard
  3. Tchamwa (Baylor) - Post 6'8"/245
  4. Miller (TCU) - Forward 6'7" /218
  5. Allen (UT) - Forward 6'6"/ 210
  6. McCormack (KU) - Post 6'10"/ 250
  7. Wilson (KU) - Forward 6'8" /225
  8. HIll (OU) - Forward 6'6" / 218
  9. Braun (KU) - Forward 6'7"/ 218
  10. Groves (OU) - Post 6'10"/ 235
I understand height is important from a post defense/rim protection standpoint- but Jones, King, Enaruna and Kunc should be solid.

Last summer, I was really concerned about our inside players and still think we could use a young post transfer this spring- but that is looking forward to the 2023/24 season.

For next season, I see more urgency to bring in a Brockington/Shayok type transfer who can be a big-time scorer.

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
Really love Demarion’s game. He shut down Carrington, a Minnesota guard commit, in the second half. He was guarding forwards and blocking shots, and guarding smaller players. Tons of intensity and an excellent shot blocker. I was also impressed that he was bringing the ball up the court in the last part of the game. Had a dunk and two clutch three pointers to seal the victory. Park Center had some nice players too. I think we got a steal with Watson. Seems like a do it all type of a player with a great work ethic.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
If we have Jones, Kunc, Enaruna and King on next year's squad, I have zero issue with the height of our 4/5 players. BTW Tre King is listed at 6'7"/235 on the ISU website. Unless something suddenly changes and Big 12 schools start recruiting traditional posts (6'10"+/ 250 lb.+), the Clones are tall enough.

Heck, just look at the top 10 rebounders on Big12 Teams
  1. Smith (K-State) - Guard
  2. Brockington (ISU) - Guard
  3. Tchamwa (Baylor) - Post 6'8"/245
  4. Miller (TCU) - Forward 6'7" /218
  5. Allen (UT) - Forward 6'6"/ 210
  6. McCormack (KU) - Post 6'10"/ 250
  7. Wilson (KU) - Forward 6'8" /225
  8. HIll (OU) - Forward 6'6" / 218
  9. Braun (KU) - Forward 6'7"/ 218
  10. Groves (OU) - Post 6'10"/ 235
I understand height is important from a post defense/rim protection standpoint- but Jones, King, Enaruna and Kunc should be solid.

Last summer, I was really concerned about our inside players and still think we could use a young post transfer this spring- but that is looking forward to the 2023/24 season.

For next season, I see more urgency to bring in a Brockington/Shayok type transfer who can be a big-time scorer.
[/QUOTE)
Dennis Rodman 6'7"
Dennis Rodman 6'7"

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Love Demarion's unselfishness, his perimeter shooting, and his athletic ability. He's an outstanding defender which will fit nicely into TJ's scheme.

Reactions: JVAR

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Good highlights of Tamin!

That pull up game in the lane is something Diante Garrett didn't really develop well until his senior year. Tamin can hit a layup/bunnie--sign him up!! Oh, wait a minute...TJ already did.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
That pull up game in the lane is something Diante Garrett didn't really develop well until his senior year. Tamin can hit a layup/bunnie--sign him up!! Oh, wait a minute...TJ already did.
He has so much Chris Paul in his game its not even funny.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Eli King's is comp is similar to Grill, with a better ability to drive and finish. Prohm ruined Caleb in year 1, so fans shouldn't factor that into their opinion of Caleb

I’m hoping King trends more towards Adam Haluska than Caleb Grill. I’ve got high hopes for him.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
You can just tell Tamin is going to be big time fan favorite. Home town kid who plays with that junkyard dog mentality. Not the biggest or most athletic, but he's going to get after it defensively and be a great lead guard who doesn't need 10-15 shots a game to dictate things.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Good highlights of Tamin!

I have complete faith in TJ to evaluate talent, but boy he doesn't look very explosive in that video. Seems to me alot of the shots he took in that game aren't going to work against bigger, stronger Big 12 competition.

• Dumb
Reactions: Final42b

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I have complete faith in TJ to evaluate talent, but boy he doesn't look very explosive in that video. Seems to me alot of the shots he took in that game aren't going to work against bigger, stronger Big 12 competition.
That’s not a great video to analyze his explosiveness, but he’s pretty damn athletic. He’s not on Tyrese Hunter’s level as far as leaping ability, but he’s stronger than Tyrese was.

He’s going to be crafty. As someone said like a Chris Paul. Chris doesn’t wow anyone with athleticism but his creativity to score and create for others is where he’s great.

Remember Juwan Evans from Oklahoma State? He’d be a good comparison imo. Small, crafty, plays below the rim but can finish well, and was a great passer and teammate.

Reactions: exCYtable