****Official Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread****

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Is the assumption that one of our end of the bench guys is leaving scholarship is full?

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Anybody else concerned with size becoming a factor next year? We are already a short team 1-3, but we are adding two 6'3'' guards and a 6'6'' wing who seems to project more as a stretch 4. I know Tre King will arrive but at a generous 6'8'' is he expected to man the 5? It just seems like we are gonna be primed to get pushed around and scored on in the paint a lot.
I think Conditt is back next year. So is Jones. Add in 6’8” King and 6’8” Watson and we’re actually adding more size down low than we’re losing. (Kunc)

Lipsey is more like 6’1-6’2 and King is 6’3”. Only place we’ll truly lose size is Brockerington’s spot, but we’re likely going to dip into the transfer market to find a scoring wing with size.

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
I think Conditt is back next year. So is Jones. Add in 6’8” King and 6’8” Watson and we’re actually adding more size down low than we’re losing. (Kunc)

Lipsey is more like 6’1-6’2 and King is 6’3”. Only place we’ll truly lose size is Brockerington’s spot, but we’re likely going to dip into the transfer market to find a scoring wing with size.

Is the assumption that Kunc is leaving? I thought that he has a covid year of eligibility left.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Is the assumption that Kunc is leaving? I thought that he has a covid year of eligibility left.
If Kunc is returning and Watson is a legit 6'8'' I will rescind my concern and worry.

Conditt returning for a 5th year would be huge, but are we sure he will?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That’s just my personal assumption but I have no knowledge of anything. He could come back if he wanted to, same as Izaiah.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Before the year it was rumored that Kunc, Kalcheur, and Jones were planning on staying next year when they committed. Brockington was planning on his next step though. That was a couple of months ago and as we all know plans can change especially with college aged players.

mgordon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 25, 2006
Kearney, Missouri
Why, cause he is white? What are you seeing in his film that you think he isn't athletic? He is very athletic. To be a Division 1 wide receiver takes a tremendous amount of speed and athleticism. Especially at a school like Notre Dame. That's a bad take.

Getting an offer to play WR doesn’t mean he’s an elite athlete for a D1 WR, let alone mean an elite D1 basketball athlete. ND has WRs on their current roster that no one would say are elite athletes for WR at this level. M

King is an elite athlete for high school, which will slide down to “good” level in the Big 12. Like Grill, his skills will need to develop, as having success via just being a superior (elite) athlete won’t work well in the Big 12. No reason to think they won’t once he focuses on basketball like players do at this level

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Why, cause he is white? What are you seeing in his film that you think he isn't athletic? He is very athletic. To be a Division 1 wide receiver takes a tremendous amount of speed and athleticism. Especially at a school like Notre Dame. That's a bad take.
He never said he wasn't athletic. Elite is a word that is interpreted differently by different people. I personally reserve it for a very small percentage of student-athletes. Some are more liberal with their definition.
I have no clue why you brought race into it. I tend to skim, however, and may have missed something.

mgordon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 25, 2006
Kearney, Missouri
What brought race into it is the fact that he said he isn't an elite athlete. I'm not sure how anyone who has watched his film, has seen him play in person, or saw his offers in not one but two sports (high major offers) can say he is not elite. And cause I have seen it happen on many occasions on the AAU circuit.

He never said he wasn't athletic. Elite is a word that is interpreted differently by different people. I personally reserve it for a very small percentage of student-athletes. Some are more liberal with their definition.
I have no clue why you brought race into it. I tend to skim, however, and may have missed something.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Anybody else concerned with size becoming a factor next year? We are already a short team 1-3, but we are adding two 6'3'' guards and a 6'6'' wing who seems to project more as a stretch 4. I know Tre King will arrive but at a generous 6'8'' is he expected to man the 5? It just seems like we are gonna be primed to get pushed around and scored on in the paint a lot.

Tech mostly plays 6'7"-6'8" forwards. Wingspan, athleticism and strength matter more

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'm hoping Tre King being a 3 level scorer can play some 3 giving us a more formidable front line next year. Jones' recent upturn seems its possible to slip TK into IB's slot and go. Personally, I don't see Grill as a starter but when confident a very strong bench piece. Eli King will likely push for time as well.
I was also impressed with Walker in garbage time. Left me wondering if he'd help at the 3. Thinking he'll likely get some quality minutes in the near future.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I'm hoping Tre King being a 3 level scorer can play some 3 giving us a more formidable front line next year. Jones' recent upturn seems its possible to slip TK into IB's slot and go. Personally, I don't see Grill as a starter but when confident a very strong bench piece. Eli King will likely push for time as well.
I was also impressed with Walker in garbage time. Left me wondering if he'd help at the 3. Thinking he'll likely get some quality minutes in the near future.

We shouldn't expect any of the 3 freshman to contribute immediately. Hunter has played at a high level through some up's and down but he was a top 40 player. TJ's trio will be very good 4 year players for ISU but I'm doubt the plan is for any of them come in and be more than the 2nd/3rd off the bench. If they do play above that it would be awesome just not predicting it. I would expect due to size, muli-position and defensive potential Watson will be the first to get minutes but we shall see.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
We shouldn't expect any of the 3 freshman to contribute immediately. Hunter has played at a high level through some up's and down but he was a top 40 player. TJ's trio will be very good 4 year players for ISU but I'm doubt the plan is for any of them come in and be more than the 2nd/3rd off the bench. If they do play above that it would be awesome just not predicting it. I would expect due to size, muli-position and defensive potential Watson will be the first to get minutes but we shall see.
Interesting you chose one add on line to the first paragraph to cherry pick. When the freshmen get on campus the pecking order will be determined. I'm betting on King and you got Watson.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Tech mostly plays 6'7"-6'8" forwards. Wingspan, athleticism and strength matter more

Some of the best ISU teams had wings in that 6'5"-6'7" range, so "big guards/athletic forwards" For old timers, that includes some of the following. You can go with less bigs if you have guards that can rebound like Brockington gives us.
-Mark Baugh
-Jeff Grayer
-Barry Stevens
-Eli Parker
-Elmer Robinson
-Robert Johnson
-Howard Eaton
-Morgan Wheat
-Kenny Pratt
-Shawn Bankhead
-Richard Evans
-Tyray Pearson
-Adam Haluska (don't shoot me!)
-Rashon Clark
-Wes Johnson
-Marquis Gilstrap
-Melvin Ejim
-Will Clyburn
-Chris Babb
-Dustin Hogue
-Abdel Nader
-Nick Weiler-Babb

Reactions: GoldCy

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Getting an offer to play WR doesn’t mean he’s an elite athlete for a D1 WR, let alone mean an elite D1 basketball athlete. ND has WRs on their current roster that no one would say are elite athletes for WR at this level. M

King is an elite athlete for high school, which will slide down to “good” level in the Big 12. Like Grill, his skills will need to develop, as having success via just being a superior (elite) athlete won’t work well in the Big 12. No reason to think they won’t once he focuses on basketball like players do at this level
Eli KIng seems elite enough to me, athlete-wise. Whether or not that will translate into an elite level of college BB player I think is what we might be talking about?

I mean if he were projected in the "elite" level as a college BB recruit he'd probably be rated in the 97-99 range? As it is both he and Watson are rated at around 92 iirc.

I am excited to see if both E. King and Watson can exceed this expectation in college. I guess it will be similar to ISU football presently and in the near past, developing strong 3 star recruits, developing them and instilling 'your' culture. Hunter for reference was rated around 98, almost a 5 star. Of course he is turning out 5 star for us already!

Eli King could definitely be a diamond in the rough (although not too rough at all!). He has enough athleticism to be an extremely good college BB player. I'm excited to see what he can do.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
What brought race into it is the fact that he said he isn't an elite athlete. I'm not sure how anyone who has watched his film, has seen him play in person, or saw his offers in not one but two sports (high major offers) can say he is not elite. And cause I have seen it happen on many occasions on the AAU circuit.
Just say YOU brought race into it and we can move on.

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Just say YOU brought race into it and we can move on.

This is a non-issue in the thread IMO. However, it's been a running joke that white guys are heady, scrappy, coaches on the floor, while Black guys are freakishly athletic. Yet Grill is pretty athletic, Tre Jackson, not so much. Regardless, let's not have this discussion of the incoming class get derailed.

Which reminds me of a pet peeve. There just can't be that many "freak" athletes!

Reactions: t-noah

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I see the exact opposite, I don't know how anyone who watches his film can say he IS an elite athlete for a college basketball high major. I'm very excited about his future at Iowa state as a 3 or 4 year player, but he won't be on the floor because his is blowing by defenders and finishing at the rim like he does now. He will have to adapt.