Brian Joens needs to be dealt with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The last sentence is 100% a thing. I know people who will NEVER coach or ref again because of people like this. Most of them are doing it to be nice and make sure games get played for the kids, but they don't make enough money to have to put up with the abuse of these parents.

I've coached youth sports for years (up through 6th grade basketball - finally done now though), and you'd be amazed at what you have to put up with.. .and this is a volunteer position as no one else would do it, so i'm doing it just so the kids can even have a team.

I know it's a thing. I'm one of those people. I probably wouldn't be any good at it but I wouldn't mind officiating high school basketball. It was fun doing the rec league in Ames and I never got beat up so I must not have been awful. The problem is I sometimes go to high school basketball games and I'm just not going to put up with that while I all but volunteer an entire weekday night.

I don't know about coaching as you don't see a lot of that but I can't imagine it's much better since that's not for the whole public to see. The thing that really bothers me is I rarely see a kid act out and they're the ones that are supposed to act out and learn the lesson.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
That's a pretty tough call when your father has dominated your life and you are just in your late teens or early twenties. Don't put this on them.

Why not? He's their dad. They're grown up now. Maybe it's time to have a chat with the old man.

Reactions: Drew0311

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Seems like bad taste to discuss this openly here, out of respect for the Joens sisters.

It sucks because the girls seem to be well adjusted and represent ISU well. At the same time this isn’t exactly secret knowledge.

Mods have deleted some posts, so they seem to to have decided how to deem what crosses the line.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Buddy.........
forrest-gump.gif

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
By all accounts the joens girls act and represent the university in an extremely honorable way and they shouldn’t be punished for that and nor can they control what their father does or doesn’t do. Likewise, ISU can’t control what Brian does or doesn’t do at Hawkeyes games (although the U of I most definitely could and sounds like they should based on some of the posts in this thread). They most definitely can control if he is allowed in games if he’s choosing to be a d bag and who actually knows that they aren’t trying to mitigate the issues with him in some form or fashion. I don’t look at this as bill’s responsibility to take on to be honest but more the departments burden.
I don’t envy ISU on this instance but to that point, this isn’t the first difficult parent they’ve had to deal with ever or will ever have to. I’m sure this is much more common than everyone thinks.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I was very aware of him last year, particularly during the post-season, but haven't noticed him this year. And this year, I usually sit about 2/3 of the way up in Section 111. There are a lot of ref-haters near us Section 111, so maybe he just blended in. Last night, we sat in the balcony just above Section 112 and I didn't notice him.

This may sound crazy but I wonder if they don't have a separate area for him to watch the game or something. During the Baylor game where we won he got furious and stormed off during the 1st half. Didn't hear him at all until the end of the game when he came back down to his seats. The Iowa game this year I didn't see or hear him all game until late in the 4th when he would pop in long enough to yell at Bluder.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Why not? He's their dad. They're grown up now. Maybe it's time to have a chat with the old man.

couple thoughts with this is his poor behavior and life mistakes are not their responsibility to manage. That and who’s to say they (and/or ISU) haven’t mentioned anything to him? Just from what I read on here, he doesn’t come off as someone that would give a crap about how his actions affect others.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
How do we know that they haven't had such a conversation with him in the past. His behavior isn't new. As far as having a more forceful conversation than that, it is much easier to deal with a highly volatile parent when you are out on your own not when you are still in college without a job and a home of your own. We have all seen reports of how this guy behaves and how volatile he is. What happens to these girls if it goes poorly and he kicks them out and cuts them off. They have scholarships but where do they go for the summer? There is a lot more to it than bucking up and facing Dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron