Hy-Vee's weirdest business decision yet?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
My only explanation is that Hy-Vee's entire board shorted the stock and are getting nervous that the blue hairs keep shopping there despite their best efforts to push people away. Otherwise, I just don't understand their moves lately. They are a grocery chain. You don't need to set it up so that your customers just hang around the place all day. Or maybe I'm wrong and I'm the only one trying to make my grocery shopping experience as short as possible.

On a side note, I guess Wahlburgers is opening in Cedar Falls soon. So there's another reason to avoid the place.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Yeah, this will fall flat. But this begs the question, how many people have actually married someone that they met in a grocery store?

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Yeah, this will fall flat. But this begs the question, how many people have actually married someone that they met in a grocery store?
This is a statistic I’d like to know.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
My only explanation is that Hy-Vee's entire board shorted the stock and are getting nervous that the blue hairs keep shopping there despite their best efforts to push people away. Otherwise, I just don't understand their moves lately. They are a grocery chain. You don't need to set it up so that your customers just hang around the place all day. Or maybe I'm wrong and I'm the only one trying to make my grocery shopping experience as short as possible.

On a side note, I guess Wahlburgers is opening in Cedar Falls soon. So there's another reason to avoid the place.

I mean, I guess I won't fault a company for trying. But I find it interesting that for some businesses, its ok to expand beyond their core product, but for others its not.

For example, McDonalds core product is fast food, mainly burgers, chicken, and fries. Then, I believe in the 90's, and 2000's they started investing and expanding in to other areas, which investors loved. Then investors didn't love the idea and demanded that they had to go back to their core product. I just find the idea of what wall street things a business should do is fascinating as they contradicts themselves a lot.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

Wahlburgers, the megastores which make it impossible to get out of the store in less than an hour, fitness centers, this...there really is a lot to choose from. Here in KC they really overplayed their hand with the megastore they put at 95th and Antioch. They closed 2-3 stores when that happened and people just weren't willing to drive the extra 5-10 minutes one way to get their groceries and simply went elsewhere. Grocery stores are largely convenience driven and they took that away from their customers. And lost them.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Wahlburgers, the megastores which make it impossible to get out of the store in less than an hour, fitness centers, this...there really is a lot to choose from. Here in KC they really overplayed their hand with the megastore they put at 95th and Antioch. They closed 2-3 stores when that happened and people just weren't willing to drive the extra 5-10 minutes one way to get their groceries and simply went elsewhere. Grocery stores are largely convenience driven and they took that away from their customers. And lost them.

It's been a couple years, but that store was very busy and hard to get in and out of regarding vehicle traffic.

Reactions: agentbear

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I mean, I guess I won't fault a company for trying. But I find it interesting that for some businesses, its ok to expand beyond their core product, but for others its not.

For example, McDonalds core product is fast food, mainly burgers, chicken, and fries. Then, I believe in the 90's, and 2000's they started investing and expanding in to other areas, which investors loved. Then investors didn't love the idea and demanded that they had to go back to their core product. I just find the idea of what wall street things a business should do is fascinating as they contradicts themselves a lot.
Did redbox come out of mcdonalds?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
My dad taught adjunct night classes at a college and he always asked if anyone met in his class and ended up getting married to let him know. After 22 years he had 1.

Reactions: Spam and khardbored

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

I think it's OK to expand beyond your core product as long as it doesn't lessen your product. All of these expansions into non-grocery items has taken away from the grocery shopping experience. In order to add the restaurants, the beauty sections, the walk-in clinics, the kitchen tools and pans, or the clothing sections they had to take away space that was dedicated to actual groceries.

I think their expansion into gas and convenience stores was actually executed well. Offer the quick items in a completely separate building to let people get in and out fast by avoiding the main store.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron