Cy-Hawk Dual

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I was too young but don't recall anything like this regarding Harold Nichols or his assistants at a meet. And although Gable carried on, I don't recall it ever to such an extreme.

At a meet, though, what people apparently saw yesterday is just a slightly more extreme version of what has been going on for a long time. Again, Gable engaged in some kinds of this behavior -- but it wasn't to this degree and probably mostly for a good cause -- as in, more directly related to something that happened during the match on the mat.

IMO, this kind of behavior ought to be embarrassing for grown men in their 50s-60s.

Off the mat, there are a lot of stories -- both in Iowa City and in Ames. I'm not old enough or wasn't close enough to know directly ones I've heard regarding Nichols' era. Similarly ones I've heard about the Brands brothers are second hand.

Linked below is the Sports Illustrated article before the 1996 Olympics that talks some about their upbringing in Sheldon. I don't think it talks about it so much in this article, but if I recall, wrestling was a way for them to channel their behavior into something more positive. I am not absolutely positive, but I am almost certain that I met Randy Feekes (pronounced fake-us), who, according to the article, introduced them to the sport. He was younger than me, but older than the Brands, who wouldn't have been wrestling yet. Again, this was a long time ago. But I believe I stayed overnight with a group of wrestlers, with Randy Feekes and his parents, who were really good people, for a freestyle tournament in Sheldon.

For ISU old-timers, Chuck Jean, who won NCAA titles in 1969 and 1970 -- before he was kicked off the team, and apparently out of school -- recently passed away. RIP, Chuck Jean.

In this article from October, they recount his killing a buck at Ledges State Park on a bet:
Nichols would hardly say five words when I attended the meets. One time, Nick did get on Nate Carr, who just kept taking down and letting up one of his opponents. Sometime late in the second period, the crowd got quiet and you could hear nick growl "just pin him Nate." Five seconds later, he got the pin. I really don't remember Gable doing anything extremely unreasonable early on in his coaching career.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
for the media to say that Iowa "dominated" is a complete lie. Winning six matches isn't being dominate. Plus heading into the final match down by five with a chance to win (which became six with the team point taken away), is pretty good for a No. 13 team against a No. 1 team. I think going into the NCAAs, Iowa State could be a top 10 team. And the best indicator Iowa State wrestling is back is the fact that there are 33 pages of posts in Cyclone Fanatic about one wrestling meet.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
for the media to say that Iowa "dominated" is a complete lie. Winning six matches isn't being dominate. Plus heading into the final match down by five with a chance to win (which became six with the team point taken away), is pretty good for a No. 13 team against a No. 1 team. I think going into the NCAAs, Iowa State could be a top 10 team. And the best indicator Iowa State wrestling is back is the fact that there are 33 pages of posts in Cyclone Fanatic about one wrestling meet.
Ehhh state media drools over UI nothing new.

Reactions: wxman1

Sturge34

Oct 28, 2019
Ehhh state media drools over UI nothing new.

Do you blame them when they are the #1 team in a state that loves wrestling.
I loved what I saw from Yonger though. Kid is so quick on his feet, made Warner look like he had concrete in his shoes.

Reactions: Clone83

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'm not defending them. I'm supporting criticism over character attacks based on rumor or innuendo. As far as sideline shenanigans, I think that they distract from the action, but that doesn't mean that the people involved are always terrible people. Decent people can sometimes do dumb things.
But the Brands brothers are actually terrible people

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
Agree. I like the progress the team is making.
Another indicator ISU is back is that the Iowa faithful are in denial/fake ignorance about the Brands bros. and their true character. I believe someone on their board said they had “high moral values” LOL. Also, they are really doubling down on trying to demean our staff.
Very glad we have Kevin Dresser and his staff. Doing a great job.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
But the Brands brothers are actually terrible people
Don't remember which one but I worked in Iowa City for a couple years, and one of the brothers and his wife would stop in somewhat regularly. Acted like he owned the place and walked on water, probably didn't help that my huge Hok fan boss would fawn all over him, too.

• Informative
Reactions: CyTwins

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Unless you have an actual insight into the goings on - supported with at least anecdotal evidence (such as the Marinellis live in a $300,000 condo in University Heights) - I think what you are saying is gossip.
Looks like they bought their house for $240k in 2020. Not bad on one income of only $40 grand.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Rewatched the match, spent the whole time contemplating how ****** in the head their fans have to be to think this is acceptable.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I also just rewatched the match. Kyven Gadson was amazing in his ability to remain cool while being harassed by the Hok knuckleheads. Nobody got in his head even for a moment. His broadcast partner had more trouble than he did.

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Iowa wrestlers and their fans, coaches are some of the worst

Some random history I know from legit knowledge and/or personal experience, or from older Iowa grad friends who lived in the U of IA dorms, or adjacent housing

Gable gave them a long lease outside of wrestling--for years.
If a wrestler was arrested or held by police for horrible behavior at the Ped Mall, (for example), the IC/Campus cops were instructed to call Gable first at home so they could avoid charges and he could pick them up.

At 2am, long standing tradition, hoards of bar-goers congregate outside in Ped Mall bars after last-call--. typically the cocky lower weight wrestlers would grapple on their feet in the middle of the crowd, purposely bumping into people, baiting them to object in order to start a rumble.

Wrestlers destroying their apartments.
Wrestlers hazing younger teammates in the dorms.--Rico Chiparelli in the 80's, physically terrorized and abused some of them in the

Friends even working food service@ Hillcrest dorm---hated the U of Iowa wrestlers

Iowa wrestling hosting an annual summer picnic at a booster's farm, complete with girls and naked volleyball (with appearances by the head coaches.) .~ can you imagine this happening today? LOL

Tom Brands was kicked off the team his senior yr in HS for 'training' a girl w/ his friend....and never had remorse for his actions

just tip of the iceberg. I remember attending a Cael Sanderson meet vs Iowa @ Hilton with reserved ticketed seating

The lowlife Iowa fans entered and just sat whatever they wanted, and looked like idiots as dozens of them were booted from their hijacked seats

• Haha
Reactions: SolarGarlic

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
We won't be able to compete with Iowa in wrestling until we get the funds.

the story goes when Gable was hired in the mid-70's @ Iowa, industrial magnate Roy Carver donated $6 million to the wrestling team. (Like giving $40 million today to the ISU FB team from Gridiron Club)

They also had use of Carver's jet for recruiting

These funds and amenities sent Iowa wrestling into orbit and they never looked back--unfortunately for us

• Informative
Reactions: Cycho1

bobprobert24

Nov 28, 2021
Looks like they bought their house for $240k in 2020. Not bad on one income of only $40 grand.

As a banker in a past life, it’s likely they didn’t buy the house with their own funds (down payment). It’s pretty common amongst millennials and the younger crowd to live in homes purchased with down payments funded largely by their parents or grandparents. I’m sure other income streams exist though.

I have a cousin whose paternal grandfather purchased his 3 bedroom apartment in Manhattan. A prime example of white the privilege and generational wealth that exists in cities like that

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
wasn't Iowa down two guys? Because of that getting close is like fools good. I think the best thing we can take away is our guys fight and attitude toward this meet. For years, that has been missing.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The ability of ToE fans to stick their heads so damn deep in the sand never stop boggling my mind.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron