The Fran fade

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Iowa will be like a wounded animal coming into Hilton, fresh off of 2 straight losses. And we'll be the opposite, riding an 8 game winning streak and undefeated season. I don't like that.

I also don't like the fact that we have 1 Iowan (a walk-in) on our roster, while they have 7 Iowans on their roster. Regardless of what some say, that's significant in a bitter in-state rivalry game.

All that said, I love how much TJ preaches physicality, toughness, and relentless defense. It gives us a decent chance to win this game.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Iowa will be like a wounded animal coming into Hilton, fresh off of 2 straight losses. And we'll be the opposite, riding an 8 game winning streak and undefeated season. I don't like that.

I also don't like the fact that we have 1 Iowan (a walk-in) on our roster, while they have 7 Iowans on their roster. Regardless of what some say, that's significant in a bitter in-state rivalry game.

All that said, I love how much TJ preaches physicality, toughness, and relentless defense. It gives us a decent chance to win this game.
Oh wow, another post "rationalizing" a home loss to Iowa, so if it happens it isn't so "painful."
Never mind we're ranked and they're not.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Oh wow, another post "rationalizing" a home loss to Iowa, so if it happens it isn't so "painful."
Never mind we're ranked and they're not.
Wow, lighten up Francis. I made two factual observations that work against us, and I said we still have a decent chance to win.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)

i think Grill is an honorary Iowan at this point. i expect he will go off, just like he did on Saturday. i'd like to see him matched up on the IceCubeMan at some point.

Reactions: Statefan10

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019

We have two big 10 transfers that I’m sure wanna beat the piss out of Iowa and a coach that cares.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Two points I would make. Native Iowan or not, I'm not sure anyone will be as fired up for this game as Conditt. Whether or not that's a good thing I'm not sure, but he seems to be the emotional leader for this team so I don't think that's a problem. Plus these guys just seem to bring it all the time.

2nd, while I normally agree I don't want to face a team that just lost, under Mad Fran the losses tend to snowball, so I'm not as worried about that either. I think it's going to be a tough game, but I’m not worried about motivation or Iowa coming off a loss at all.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Will need Hunter to show off his passing ability to get past the Iowa press. If he can do that it forces them into an entirely new defensive scheme and allows us to get a lead early. Illinois was without their starting PG and their other ball handlers seemed like they had idea how to get past the half court line in a full court press.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Two points I would make. Native Iowan or not, I'm not sure anyone will be as fired up for this game as Conditt. Whether or not that's a good thing I'm not sure, but he seems to be the emotional leader for this team so I don't think that's a problem. Plus these guys just seem to bring it all the time.

2nd, while I normally agree I don't want to face a team that just lost, under Mad Fran the losses tend to snowball, so I'm not as worried about that either. I think it's going to be a tough game, but I’m not worried about motivation or Iowa coming off a loss at all.
Fran is going to assign a hit man to go out and spend time getting Conditt fouls early. That’s his M O. I hope conditt has the patience.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Will need Hunter to show off his passing ability to get past the Iowa press. If he can do that it forces them into an entirely new defensive scheme and allows us to get a lead early. Illinois was without their starting PG and their other ball handlers seemed like they had idea how to get past the half court line in a full court press.
Watching Illinois try to beat that press was truly painful. There’s no chance we are that inept. Also they never bothered to attack on the backside. I think they were trying to run clock which was weird with a relatively small lead.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Watch they abandon the press early and pound it inside to Ogundele who just so happens played 2 whole minutes tonight, wth was that? They will feed him until they get Conditt in foul trouble then feed it out to Jordan for Kliff Kingbury 3s all night. Hopefully TJ has the counter.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Watch they abandon the press early and pound it inside to Ogundele who just so happens played 2 whole minutes tonight, wth was that? They will feed him until they get Conditt in foul trouble then feed it out to Jordan for Kliff Kingbury 3s all night. Hopefully TJ has the counter.

Punch them in the mouth (figuratively) early and often; contest every possession and rebound. TJ will have them ready.

Reactions: exCYtable

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

I don’t think you understand the rage of ISU fans in Hilton on Thursday this week. And we’ll see what happens in women’s game Wednesday also