Cheez-It Bowl in Orlando playing Clemson (Wed., Dec. 29, 4:45 CT Kick)

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Just listened to the Cheez It Bowl press conference. They talked about Campbell coming down to Clemson, but I don't think they said anything about their coaches coming up to Ames to learn about our defense. Seemed odd.

Dabo mentioned it briefly. Talked more about CMC's visit there.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
St. Louis, Nashville, and Atlanta can all be scary on the traffic front depending on when you hit them.

Google Maps says the "straight" version of the route is 20:04 from Des Moines to Orlando assuming you're willing to tolerate the risk those three major cities give you on the way.

Heading south from Nashville to Birmingham, Montgomery, Tallahassee, and then back into the I-75 route says 21:07, so you're adding about an hour to the route in order to avoid Atlanta.

That feels like an even trade. Higher mean traded for lower standard deviation.

I've driven both routes and both suck in their own respective ways. Unreal traffic from Nashville all the way to Orlando. Especially over the holidays. The other route takes you through sketchy areas and back roads of Alabama that I never want to see again. Like a whole different world.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Looking at who might sit out for Clemson, and it's a short list. This class doesn't have many projected top picks (for Clemson standards).

1st round--. Booth, CB
3rd round-- Davis, DT and Ross, WR

Evidently, Clemson's NFL studs are sophomores.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Dabo mentioned it briefly. Talked more about CMC's visit there.

I heard them talk to Campbell and Dabo about his visit down there, but missed any talk about Clemson's visit up here.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I've driven both routes and both suck in their own respective ways. Unreal traffic from Nashville all the way to Orlando. Especially over the holidays. The other route takes you through sketchy areas and back roads of Alabama that I never want to see again. Like a whole different world.

Buh buh bow bow
bow bow
bow bow bowwwwwwwwwwwwww

hawksuck75

Mar 25, 2006
Chicago, IL
Looking at who might sit out for Clemson, and it's a short list. This class doesn't have many projected top picks (for Clemson standards).

1st round--. Booth, CB
3rd round-- Davis, DT and Ross, WR

Evidently, Clemson's NFL studs are sophomores.

They have a Soph DT Bryan Breese from Maryland who was #1 overall recruit in 2020 class. He is a monster.

• Agree
Reactions: Neptune78

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
This is a new one for me and something I almost forgot.... Does anyone know if I'll need an extra ticket for our 8 month old?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
This. Atlanta traffic is straight from hell.
I drive it twice a year. And though I tend to worry more about ATL than others I find it is usually not too bad. If you have more than one person just stay on 75 (don't take the loop/bypass) and get in the diamond lane and go as fast as the person in front of you.

The other thing you should know if you do this is there is a separate diamond lane ramp near downtown that is a breeze to stay on 75. Your Garmin/phone will tell you to get in the right lanes to transition but just stay in that diamond lane and you're golden.

I find Nashville is a bigger PITA normally. Staying on 24 is a continuous "right two lanes" "left two lanes" "right two lanes" adventure, whereas ATL is pretty much keep middle or left and buzz through.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
True Story:

Since the Cyclones were on the road (@ OU), I went back to Alabama from Ames in 1994 for an Auburn-Alabama double header. Thursday Night was Kentucky @ Auburn, and Saturday Night was Georgia @ Alabama. Both the Tigers and the Tide were still undefeated at the time and in the top 10.

Flew in and out of Birmingham with a side trip to Columbus, GA (to visit my brother) before and after the Auburn game. So, on Thursday, I woke up, drove to Auburn (1st and only visit there), enjoyed the day and the game that night. My brother drove after work to meet us at the game. Nice Campus. Nice Town. Fun football environment.

The real fun started on the trip back to Columbus in the pre-google maps days. My brother asked me if I needed directions back to his place - but I figured, how hard can it be? So, I said, not necessary. Therefore, we parted ways after the game to get to our respective cars and planned to meet back at his place.

Now, Auburn is in a really remote part of Alabama equally distant from everywhere. It was easy enough to get there during the day, so like I previously mentioned - how hard could it be to get out? As I found out, it was kind of hard!

I was looking for the sign to get to Columbus, but I didn't see it, and I kept driving on the whatever road I was travelling. I knew I had gone the wrong way down the long, dark tar roads of rural Alabama when I saw the Marion County sign! I was in pitch black rural Alabama with nowhere to turn around for a stretch.

After a bit, I finally was able to turn around and head back to Lee County (where Auburn is). Still no sign to Columbus. Then, I saw a Randolph County sign! I was like WTF! Therefore, I pulled off at a 24 hour gas station and asked the gal behind the counter for directions to Columbus.

She looked at me funny and asked where we were from, and I said from Iowa but down for our first Auburn game. She laughed and said: "What in the world are you doing up here then!" lol. She gave me directions to get back to Columbus via Opelika, and I finally made it back to my brother's at 2 am or so.

What I missed is that instead of looking for a sign to Columbus (closest bigger city), I should have been looking for a sign to Opelika (another small town in Lee County) to take me to Columbus, GA!

Like I said, I've been to Auburn once.

True Story!

Last edited:

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I drive it twice a year. And though I tend to worry more about ATL than others I find it is usually not too bad. If you have more than one person just stay on 75 (don't take the loop/bypass) and get in the diamond lane and go as fast as the person in front of you.

The other thing you should know if you do this is there is a separate diamond lane ramp near downtown that is a breeze to stay on 75. Your Garmin/phone will tell you to get in the right lanes to transition but just stay in that diamond lane and you're golden.

I find Nashville is a bigger PITA normally. Staying on 24 is a continuous "right two lanes" "left two lanes" "right two lanes" adventure, whereas ATL is pretty much keep middle or left and buzz through.
Nashville takes more context on cutting down on time.

ATL is just so expansive, the liability of getting behind a wreck or backup high, but sometimes it is nothing for being a larger city. Worst case, that way is equal to the others, best case, it's 2 hours faster from my experience (two round trips a year).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron