10. Leo Chenal, Wisconsin

Reactions: cymonw1980

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
If Nate Stanley got drafted, Purdy gets picked up. He has all the makings of an outstanding backup. Leadership, attitude and head knowledge.

Stanley had both NFL "size" and an NFL "arm". Seems like teams will always gamble on tools, even when there is enough game film to show teams they shouldn't.

Here is Purdy's biggest problem. Even for college he plays "small", and by that I mean he rarely gets loft on his throws. This has led to a ton of deflections and at the NFL level that will be 10 times worse.

I used to be really high on Brock. But I think he has to ball out and have a good combine to sneak into the later rounds.

If Ryan Leaf can be a 2nd overall draft pick then anything is possible.

Londo

Apr 22, 2013
Wisconsin
Running backs
1. Breece Hall, Iowa State

Tight ends
5. Charlie Kolar, Iowa State

Defensive tackles
3. Eyioma Uwazurike, Iowa State

Outside linebackers
6. Will McDonald IV, Iowa State

Inside linebackers
7. Mike Rose, Iowa State

Was just going to reference this, thought it would be interesting to compare to last year's draft with some comps and #s of position drafted. Not apples to apples but I think helps to project based on position and current ranking.

EDGE Will McDonald - 32 drafted in 2021 1st- 5, 2nd- 2, 3rd- 6, 4th- 7, 5th- 4, 6th- 2, 7th- 6 with the top 8 EDGE rushers all receiving either 1st or 2nd round grades. Projection- 1st/2nd

RB Breece Hall
- 20 drafted in 2021 1st- 2, 2nd- 1, 3rd- 1, 4th- 4, 5th- 2, 6th- 6, 7th- 4 with only 6 rushers earning higher than a 4th round grade. Projection- 2nd/3rd

ILB Mike Rose
- 24 drafted in 2021 1st- 3, 2nd- 4, 3rd- 5, 4th- 3, 5th- 4, 6th- 3, 7th- 2. Only 6 ILBs received higher than a 3rd round grade. He will blow away the interviews and if healthy, I am most confident in this pick. Projection- 3rd/4th

TE Charlie Kolar
- 12 drafted in 2021 1st- 1, 2nd- 1, 3rd- 3, 4th- 3, 5th- 4 with only 5 TEs earning higher than a 5th round grade. I think Charlie is right on the cusp, he could go as high as 3rd if a team falls in love with him, especially if he tests well. Projection- 4th

WR Xavier Hutchinson
- 34 drafted in 2021 1st- 5, 2nd- 5, 3rd- 5, 4th- 4, 5th- 3, 6th- 7, 7th- 5. I think he compares well to Simi Fehoko/Seth Williams as big bodied, ball dominate, target hogs. If he continues what he has done this year and tests well, he WILL get drafted. You cannot convince me that there are 30+ receivers better than him. Projection- 5th

DT Enyi Uwazurike
- 20 drafted in 2021 1st-2 , 2nd- 2, 3rd- 2, 4th- 4, 5th- 3, 6th- 5, 7th- 2. Reminds me a lot of Johnathan Marshall at Arkansas last year. Older, more traditional DE, explosive, big bodied, team captian. Graded as 6th round, drafted 6th round. Projection- 6th

QB Brock Purdy
- 10 drafted in 2021 1st-5 , 2nd- 1, 3rd- 2, 4th- 1, 6th- 1. Very interesting case study, has been absolutely electric at times (any October) and has struggled at times. Teams will be interested, I am sure that he will be knocked for inconsistencies and some measurables. Funnily enough, I think the closest comparison from last year is Sam Ehlinger. Obviously less of the dual threat but tough, athletic, extends plays, average arm, but a gamer. 6th/7th round grade and taken in the 6th. Projection- 7th/PFA

S Greg Eisworth
- 20 drafted in 2021 1st-2 , 2nd- 2, 3rd- 2, 4th- 4, 5th- 3, 6th- 5, 7th- 2. Comparable to Damar Hamlin at Pitt last year, rSr., leader, tough, intelligent, hard hitting safety. Projected 6th round, drafted 6th round. I think age, injury, and tail off in counting stats hurts him. Projection- 7th/PFA

TE Chase Allen -
I don't think Chase Allen gets drafted but I guarantee a few team's scouts will have him on speed dial after watching his tape and scramble to sign him as a PFA. Similar to Soehner, he will have a few options and if he has a good agent he may get a better deal than most PFAs. Projection- PFA

CB Anthony Johnson -
I will say that I am not good at evaluating CB play, it does speak volumes that teams tend to avoid the side of the field he is on. Closest comparison I could come up with was Camryn Bynum at Cal last year. Not the most athletically gifted but 4 year starter with many all conference honors. Stats are similar, Bynum is a bit taller. 6th rd grade but PFA. Projection- PFA

Also I am assuming that Isheem Young comes back next year.

Obviously a lot of the year left, that along with the combine will certainly influence where our guys end up

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
Particularly the year Lazard wasn't drafted has taught me I know nothing about the NFL draft. Just because someone is good in college does not mean they will be drafted. After the 2nd/3rd round it seems to become wildcard picks with NFL teams.
The NFL looks far deeper than simple production or if a player did a good job in his role. It’s why Kene Nwangu was a 4th round pick, and why Deshaunte Jones never even received a undrafted look by anyone.

The Lazard situation was a one off though. He had no business being Undrafted. Was just one of those cases where a couple flaws dinged him too harshly. Should’ve been a 4th/5th at least.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
Was just going to reference this, thought it would be interesting to compare to last year's draft with some comps and #s of position drafted. Not apples to apples but I think helps to project based on position and current ranking.

EDGE Will McDonald - 32 drafted in 2021 1st- 5, 2nd- 2, 3rd- 6, 4th- 7, 5th- 4, 6th- 2, 7th- 6 with the top 8 EDGE rushers all receiving either 1st or 2nd round grades. Projection- 1st/2nd

RB Breece Hall
- 20 drafted in 2021 1st- 2, 2nd- 1, 3rd- 1, 4th- 4, 5th- 2, 6th- 6, 7th- 4 with only 6 rushers earning higher than a 4th round grade. Projection- 2nd/3rd

ILB Mike Rose
- 24 drafted in 2021 1st- 3, 2nd- 4, 3rd- 5, 4th- 3, 5th- 4, 6th- 3, 7th- 2. Only 6 ILBs received higher than a 3rd round grade. He will blow away the interviews and if healthy, I am most confident in this pick. Projection- 3rd/4th

TE Charlie Kolar
- 12 drafted in 2021 1st- 1, 2nd- 1, 3rd- 3, 4th- 3, 5th- 4 with only 5 TEs earning higher than a 5th round grade. I think Charlie is right on the cusp, he could go as high as 3rd if a team falls in love with him, especially if he tests well. Projection- 4th

WR Xavier Hutchinson
- 34 drafted in 2021 1st- 5, 2nd- 5, 3rd- 5, 4th- 4, 5th- 3, 6th- 7, 7th- 5. I think he compares well to Simi Fehoko/Seth Williams as big bodied, ball dominate, target hogs. If he continues what he has done this year and tests well, he WILL get drafted. You cannot convince me that there are 30+ receivers better than him. Projection- 5th

DT Enyi Uwazurike
- 20 drafted in 2021 1st-2 , 2nd- 2, 3rd- 2, 4th- 4, 5th- 3, 6th- 5, 7th- 2. Reminds me a lot of Johnathan Marshall at Arkansas last year. Older, more traditional DE, explosive, big bodied, team captian. Graded as 6th round, drafted 6th round. Projection- 6th

QB Brock Purdy
- 10 drafted in 2021 1st-5 , 2nd- 1, 3rd- 2, 4th- 1, 6th- 1. Very interesting case study, has been absolutely electric at times (any October) and has struggled at times. Teams will be interested, I am sure that he will be knocked for inconsistencies and some measurables. Funnily enough, I think the closest comparison from last year is Sam Ehlinger. Obviously less of the dual threat but tough, athletic, extends plays, average arm, but a gamer. 6th/7th round grade and taken in the 6th. Projection- 7th/PFA

S Greg Eisworth
- 20 drafted in 2021 1st-2 , 2nd- 2, 3rd- 2, 4th- 4, 5th- 3, 6th- 5, 7th- 2. Comparable to Damar Hamlin at Pitt last year, rSr., leader, tough, intelligent, hard hitting safety. Projected 6th round, drafted 6th round. I think age, injury, and tail off in counting stats hurts him. Projection- 7th/PFA

TE Chase Allen -
I don't think Chase Allen gets drafted but I guarantee a few team's scouts will have him on speed dial after watching his tape and scramble to sign him as a PFA. Similar to Soehner, he will have a few options and if he has a good agent he may get a better deal than most PFAs. Projection- PFA

CB Anthony Johnson -
I will say that I am not good at evaluating CB play, it does speak volumes that teams tend to avoid the side of the field he is on. Closest comparison I could come up with was Camryn Bynum at Cal last year. Not the most athletically gifted but 4 year starter with many all conference honors. Stats are similar, Bynum is a bit taller. 6th rd grade but PFA. Projection- PFA

Also I am assuming that Isheem Young comes back next year.

Obviously a lot of the year left, that along with the combine will certainly influence where our guys end up
Mostly like your list. I would switch Rose and Kolar stocks though. I think the NFL will really like him. Don’t be worried about his production.

Last edited:

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
The NFL looks far deeper than simple production or if a player did a good job in his role. It’s why Kene Nwangu was a 4th round pick, and why Deshaunte Jones never even received a undrafted look by anyone.

The Lazard situation was a one off though. He had no business being Undrafted. Was just one of those cases where a couple flaws dinged him too harshly. Should’ve been a 4th/5th at least.

I think Lazard helps get Hutchinson drafted. AL wasn't drafted b/c of doubts about ISU. He has erased those for all who follow.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I don’t see X running slower than Lazard ran at the combine, which was a 4.55. X will probably time faster. I submit as my evidence that X has shown to be better after the catch than Lazard. Agility is part of that, but so is the straight line speed and burst. I don’t think Lazard runs away from the corner on that slant on Saturday.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
I was shocked to see him that high, but I think Enyi coming back for this year has done wonders for his development.

He's having his best season, I think.
That is crazy though! I thought he maybe worked himself into becoming draftable.

I didn’t see this high or a ranking coming. That would equal out to being a 2nd round pick, maybe even a late 1st projection.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Enyi’s biggest knock will be that he will turn 24 a week after the draft.

Is age that big an issue in the NFL? NBA, sure, but typical NFL careers are much shorter anyway. Seems like an older, more mature (physically and personality) DLman would be an asset.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
Pettway didn't get drafted. Lazard didn't get drafted. Money Reynolds didn't get drafted. Blythe didn't get drafted. Those are all guys with at least comparable skill sets to Hutchinson. Like all of those guys, Hutchinson is missing top end speed. He'll probably run around a 4.55-4.60, which is fine, but not something that will move him up boards. I love that he is able to make tough catches and he basically turns into a RB after the catch. But unless you have an elite ability to get open or elite speed, you are going to be lucky to get drafted. Just my opinion from watching the draft for years.

One thing I'll say about Enyi...his versatility is really going to help him. He can be a 4-3 DT or a 3-4 DE. He's stout inside and can still set the edge and has a motor to get after the QB. I can see him sneaking into the end of the draft. Same thing for Rose. If he was just a middle LB, that is low end draftable. Him playing outside at SAM and succeeding at it has raised his value.
I liked Pettway here. But skill wise him and X are nowhere even close.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
Is age that big an issue in the NFL? NBA, sure, but typical NFL careers are much shorter anyway. Seems like an older, more mature (physically and personality) DLman would be an asset.
Brandon Weeden (remember him?) was a 28 year old QB taken in the first round.

Enyi’s age won’t be a big issue.

Reactions: wheels686

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I think Lazard helps get Hutchinson drafted. AL wasn't drafted b/c of doubts about ISU. He has erased those for all who follow.
GMs don’t give a **** about what school someone went to, unless it’s a gimmick offense like the old Hawaii Offense or a triple option or some ****. People thinking that Al didn’t get drafted because he went to ISU are crazy. GMs truly don’t care.

Help Support Us

Become a patron