Bowl Thoughts

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I think we might go to the Peach in that case, just because we went to the Fiesta last year. If it came down to that I could see them wanting to switch us. But that is just a guess.

Lot of season left though to try to guess. I just really hope we are in a position to have a shot at a NY6 at the end of the season.
Pitt in the Peach would be awsome if the Cyclones do not win the Big Xii.

Reactions: 2speedy1

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Semi-hot take: I absolutely want to go to the Sugar. No question. But New Orleans is one of the most overrated tourist towns ever. It’s awful and unless ISU plays there you could not pay me enough to go back to that craphole.

Agree! NO is just nasty; as is a lot of that state.

• Winner
Reactions: 83cy

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
This is just an insanely incorrect take. New Orleans is amazing and an American treasure. I've had some of the best weekends of my life in New Orleans, and it had nothing to do with Bourbon St.

Good for you; I agree (can't believe I wrote that) with JM4CY. Food's the only reason to go to N.O.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Why is first responders not on the list but is listed as Big 12 or ACC here?

It's a Big 12 bowl in odd years (alternating with Armed Forces bowl in even years).

However, the Big 12 has only had enough eligible teams to get down that far in the selection order once since 2014 -- either because two teams got into NY6, or there were only 6 eligible teams to start with.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Question, could we get the Fiesta again as an at large?

Thinking if OU makes the sugar bowl and is denied the playoff again..... isn't that possible? We would bring a gazillion fans to Phoenix obviously.
I would love this as my inlaws are making me be in Phx for New Years.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Alamo Bowl has been Big 12 vs. Pac-12 since 2010. Every game since then has involved those two conferences.

Big 12's pecking order is:

1. Sugar (vs. SEC, New Orleans - Saints stadium)
2. Alamo (Pac-12, San Antonio - Alamodome)
3. Cheez-It (ACC, Orlando - Camping World Stadium)
4. Texas (SEC, Houston - Texans stadium)
5. Liberty (SEC, Memphis)
6. Guaranteed Rate (Big Ten, Phoenix - Diamondbacks stadium)

The Sugar is required to take the winner of the Big 12 championship game, unless that team makes the CFP, in which case the Sugar is required to take the loser of the Big 12 CCG - there is no room for discretion or for the Sugar to make its own choice.

Armed Forces (American/C-USA, Fort Worth - TCU stadium) and First Responder (ACC/American/C-USA, Dallas - SMU stadium) are flex bowls that I understand are required to take a Big 12 team every now and then and would do so when the Big 12 has too many bowl eligible teams.

Iowa State has actually played in all of these bowls or their predecessors in the last 20 or so years, other than the Sugar Bowl:

*Alamo Bowl vs. Washington State
*Cheez-It Bowl vs. Notre Dame when it was Camping World Bowl
*Texas Bowl vs. TCU in 2005 when it was Houston Bowl
*Liberty Bowls vs. Memphis and Tulsa
*Guaranteed Rate Bowl vs. Pitt in 2000 when it was Insight.com Bowl

I'm not a fan of bowls, but all bowl game names should follow one of the following patterns: Sponsor name/name of bowl or just name of bowl. I don't think people realize that changing the name entirely diminishes name recognition of the bowl. For example, if the Insight.com Bowl was the Insight.com Cactus Bowl (or whatever) and then became the Guaranteed Rate Cactus Bowl, most people would immediately recognize it as the bowl game in Phoenix.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Jimmy Kimmel Bowl! Chamber of Commerce Bowls pitting two .500 or less teams are unwatchable. What are their, close to 40 Bowls? Who did ISU play in the Potato Bowl on the Blue carpet in nasty weather? That game and the loss in the Steinbrenner Bowl against Rutgers (?) were both bad ways to end seasons. That’s why I don’t like the lesser bowls, it’s a bummer when the team fights to qualify and then finishes the season with a whimper.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Even if you're not into drinking or debauchery, New Orleans is one of the greatest food cities in the country!

Yeah, if you like eating the stuff they find at the bottom of the chum bucket.
(I am not a shellfish person)

Used to go to Memphis frequently for work. Co-worker said Memphis was like a smaller New Orleans, but without all the human vomit, s*** and p*** flowing down the street.

That said, would love to go to the Sugar bowl; definitely going in with low expectations, would probably have a blast lol.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
If ISU wins out but loses in the CCG they'd be ranked top 12 in the playoff poll I'd assume, and would end up in a NY6 bowl. I think it'd be awesome to play Pitt in the Peach this year if we don't make the Sugar

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If ISU wins out why would there be no chance of a CFP birth? Seems to me a lot of teams outside of GA are likely to lose or lose again…
Georgia and Alabama are all but guaranteed spots. The BIG champ is in. That leaves one spot for maybe Cincinnati, likely another BIG team, or Oregon. They are not taking a two-loss Big 12 champ or any of them.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Bama will be in the playoff. They still could lose at least one more if not two and still get in.

Keep this in mind:
No 2 loss team has ever got in the CFP. Full stop.

Only 4 non conference champs have got in: all had 0 or 1 loss, and all the conf champs NOT selected those years had 2 losses (only exception was 1-loss Ohio St in 2018). This is P5 only, plenty of G5 have been shut out with 0 or 1 loss of course.

For the Clones to make the CFP, there can only be 3 teams with 1 loss or less. It could happen, but it has to fall just perfect to happen. There's currently 13 P5 teams with 0 or 1 loss, plus ND and Cincy. You need 12 of the 15 to lose a game or 2 and not be conf champs. I would estimate there is about a 10% chance of that happening. soyouresayingtheresachance.gif

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Keep this in mind:
No 2 loss team has ever got in the CFP. Full stop.

Only 4 non conference champs have got in: all had 0 or 1 loss, and all the conf champs NOT selected those years had 2 losses (only exception was 1-loss Ohio St in 2018). This is P5 only, plenty of G5 have been shut out with 0 or 1 loss of course.

For the Clones to make the CFP, there can only be 3 teams with 1 loss or less. It could happen, but it has to fall just perfect to happen. There's currently 13 P5 teams with 0 or 1 loss, plus ND and Cincy. You need 12 of the 15 to lose a game or 2 and not be conf champs. I would estimate there is about a 10% chance of that happening. soyouresayingtheresachance.gif
I guarantee you a two-loss Alabama with the other loss being to Georgia in their CCG, if that were to happen, would get in.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Ironically, if OU goes 12-0 and we somehow still get to conference champ game with 2 Conf L's we automatically get the Sugar Bowl win or lose.
If OU wins out and we win out other than OU, we'd be either alone in second or tied for second with Baylor and/or OSU. We have the tiebreaker over OSU and would win the three-way tie with OSU/Baylor. So the only way we wouldn't be in the CCG in this situation is if Baylor only has two conference losses and OSU has more than that.

Help Support Us

Become a patron