Bowl Thoughts

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
This is just an insanely incorrect take. New Orleans is amazing and an American treasure. I've had some of the best weekends of my life in New Orleans, and it had nothing to do with Bourbon St.
We've been there for vacation and had a good time. The WWII museum, plantation tours and bourbon street were all fun and interesting. That said probably only go back for the Sugar bowl.

IndyClone15

Jan 28, 2019
Metropolis
If ISU wins out why would there be no chance of a CFP birth? Seems to me a lot of teams outside of GA are likely to lose or lose again…
Georgia [LOCK] - has no tough opponents left on their schedule and will get in the playoff even with an SEC Championship loss.

Cincinnati [LOCK] - Has only SMU in their way. They will beat them.

Bama's only tough opponent left is Auburn; Bama will make the SEC Championship. Win and they're in along with UGA.

Big Ten - There's a very good chance that there will be two Big Ten East teams with 1 or less losses. Whoever is on top of the BIG East will go on to win the conference title because the BIG West sucks. The BIG conference champ and the other 1 loss BIG East team (that didn't make the CCG) will be chosen over us because the CFP doesn't like two-loss teams.

Not to mention Ole Miss possibly running the table and finishing with 1 loss (since they didn't make the CCG).

It won't happen unfortunately.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Bama will be in the playoff. They still could lose atleast one more if not two and still get in.

They can't lose 2 and still get in. Losing 1 they might get in, but maybe not.

I am assuming that Georgia and Cincinnati win out and get 2 spots.

If the Big 10 champ wins out, they will be in over a 2 loss Alabama. That includes Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State or Iowa.

An undefeated Oklahoma gets in over a 2 loss Alabama. Maybe even a 1 loss Oklahoma. I don't think Oklahoma does this though, I think they get at least 2 losses this year. A 2 loss Alabama probably gets in over a 1 loss Oklahoma State or Baylor, most likely. Not guarenteed, though.

A 1 loss Oregon might get in over a 2 loss Alabama.

A 2 loss Alabama gets in over a 1 loss Notre Dame.

Now lets talk a 2 loss Alabama and a 2 loss Iowa State. I think a lot would have to go right for Iowa State here. First off, we'd want 2 wins against Oklahoma (making them 11-2). That would make Oklahoma State 10-2. We'd also want Iowa to win out, but lose to Ohio State (finishing 11-2). Baylor would lose to Oklahoma and finish 10-2. Texas would finish 7-5. Kansas State would finish 7-5.

If that all happened, Oklahoma is still probably Top 10 and Okla State, Baylor and Iowa would all be top 15. No one else on Iowa States schedule is Top 25.

That makes Iowa State 4-2 against the playoff Top 15 and Top 25.

At best, Alabama has a win against an 8-4 unranked Florida (they would have beaten nobody good), a Top 15 Ole MIss, an 8-4 Top 25 Auburn.

That makes Alabama 1-2 against the Top 15 and 2-2 against the Top 25.

They still probably put Alabama in, but even ESPNs preditor only gives Alabama a 59% playoff probability versus 41% for Iowa State.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Georgia [LOCK] - has no tough opponents left on their schedule and will get in the playoff even with an SEC Championship loss.

Cincinnati [LOCK] - Has only SMU in their way. They will beat them.

Bama's only tough opponent left is Auburn; Bama will make the SEC Championship. Win and they're in along with UGA.

Big Ten - There's a very good chance that there will be two Big Ten East teams with 1 or less losses. Whoever is on top of the BIG East will go on to win the conference title because the BIG West sucks. The BIG conference champ and the other 1 loss BIG East team (that didn't make the CCG) will be chosen over us because the CFP doesn't like two-loss teams.

Not to mention Ole Miss possibly running the table and finishing with 1 loss (since they didn't make the CCG).

It won't happen unfortunately.

You are probably right about the Big 10, although there is a decent chance the Big 10 east chews themselves up.

It would be another interesting situation with weather good wins or good losses are more important. None of those teams would be able to complete with Iowa State's 4 Top 15 wins in that scenario. Ole Miss would have 2 Top 15 wins. Michigan would have 1 Top 15 win. Michigan State would have 1 Top 15 win. Also have to consider a 1 loss Oregon, a 1 loss Pitt and a 1 loss Notre Dame.

Iowa State (11-2): 4-2 against Top 15, conference champ.
Oregon (12-1): 1-0 against Top 15, beat a playoff team, conference champ, 1 bad loss
Pitt (12-1): 1-0 against Top 15, 1 bad loss
or
Wake Forrest (13-0): 1-0 against Top 15
Notre Dame (11-1): 0-1 against Top 15
Michigan(11-1): 1-1 against Top 15
or Michigan State (11-1): 1-1 against Top 15
or Ohio State (10-2): 1-2 against Top 15
Alabama (10-2): 2-2 against Top 15
Ole Miss (11-1): 1-1 against Top 15

Top 25 of the ranking is too hard for me to predict. Iowa STate would be 4-2 agains the Top 25, but some of the other teams could have just as good of a Top 25 record.

If Iowa and Iowa State win out, there is a decent shot of both Iowa and Iowa State both making the playoffs.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
You are probably right about the Big 10, although there is a decent chance the Big 10 east chews themselves up.

It would be another interesting situation with weather good wins or good losses are more important. None of those teams would be able to complete with Iowa State's 4 Top 15 wins in that scenario. Ole Miss would have 2 Top 15 wins. Michigan would have 1 Top 15 win. Michigan State would have 1 Top 15 win. Also have to consider a 1 loss Oregon, a 1 loss Pitt and a 1 loss Notre Dame.

Iowa State (11-2): 4-2 against Top 15, conference champ.
Oregon (12-1): 1-0 against Top 15, beat a playoff team, conference champ, 1 bad loss
Pitt (12-1): 1-0 against Top 15, 1 bad loss
or
Wake Forrest (13-0): 1-0 against Top 15
Notre Dame (11-1): 0-1 against Top 15
Michigan(11-1): 1-1 against Top 15
or Michigan State (11-1): 1-1 against Top 15
or Ohio State (10-2): 1-2 against Top 15
Alabama (10-2): 2-2 against Top 15
Ole Miss (11-1): 1-1 against Top 15

Top 25 of the ranking is too hard for me to predict. Iowa STate would be 4-2 agains the Top 25, but some of the other teams could have just as good of a Top 25 record.

If Iowa and Iowa State win out, there is a decent shot of both Iowa and Iowa State both making the playoffs.
Iowa yes. Iowa State would need a ton of help. That extra loss hurts a ton. It just does. Until they put a 2-loss team in (especially not from the BIG or SEC) I won’t say there is a path by just winning out.

We would need pure chaos the last month and a half as well as winning out. So cheer for us to win and everybody with 0 or 1 loss to lose.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Semi-hot take: I absolutely want to go to the Sugar. No question. But New Orleans is one of the most overrated tourist towns ever. It’s awful and unless ISU plays there you could not pay me enough to go back to that craphole.
But it's a fun crap hole to spend a couple of days at.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Where do Cyclones stay in Dallas? It doesn't look like a bowl game trip is in the cards for us this year but I did promise the kids if ISU got to the championship game and fans are allowed in 2021 we'd all be there.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Ironically, if OU goes 12-0 and we somehow still get to conference champ game with 2 Conf L's we automatically get the Sugar Bowl win or lose.

I'd rather beat OU in Norman but this would be pretty cool - we would basically know one week early that we are locked in to the Sugar Bowl and would have the jump on whichever SEC fanbase ended up there to make hotel and travel plans.

Reactions: hawksuck75

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Or it's just his opinion, and he had a terrible time when he visited. I've been to New Orleans too, and while it's not awful, I found it to be severely overrated in my opinion too. However, everyone likes different things. You can absolutely love New Orleans, and that's great!

It's not that serious.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
In my heart, I know that a two-loss Bama team (with that 2nd loss being to Georgia in the SEC Championship) will be in the playoffs this year.

BUT, there's no way that a two-loss team can be anything but the 4 seed, right? Are they really going to have a rematch of the SEC Championship as the first game of the playoff?

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
Georgia and Alabama are all but guaranteed spots. The BIG champ is in. That leaves one spot for maybe Cincinnati, likely another BIG team, or Oregon. They are not taking a two-loss Big 12 champ or any of them.

Lots of football left … we will see how many undefeated and one loss teams are left…

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Where do Cyclones stay in Dallas? It doesn't look like a bowl game trip is in the cards for us this year but I did promise the kids if ISU got to the championship game and fans are allowed in 2021 we'd all be there.

There are two higher end hotels right next to the stadium. The Loews Live at Arlington and the Sheraton Arlington. We stayed at the Sheraton last year and the team was not there. Maybe the Loews, but I have already tried to book rooms there and it is sold out for CCG weekend.

• Informative
Reactions: Die4Cy

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I guarantee you a two-loss Alabama with the other loss being to Georgia in their CCG, if that were to happen, would get in.

Agree. Unless that SEC championship game is a blowout. Assuming that SEC CCG is close, they'll probably take a 11-2 Bama over a 13-0 Cincy. You have to consider a 12-1 OU and a 12-1 tOSU as shoe ins as long as they win their CCGs. Even if ISU went 11-2 and won the B12, they are not making it in. We don't have the brand power to do that. Bama does.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Alabama will get in with 2 losses if its to Georgia in the SEC championship. They'll make Cincy the 4 seed to avoid that rematch.

Help Support Us

Become a patron