White Sox v. Yankees at Field of Dreams

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
This makes so much sense which means it’ll likely never happen.

Reactions: Die4Cy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

I love the sentiment, but it costs millions to host two big league teams for something like this. They might try to leverage an event like this on occasion with a ton of pre-planning, but it won't ever be a regular deal for all the teams.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016

I get what they are saying, but it would kind of equate to each team playing a home series at their AAA fields. That wouldn't be as meaningful as last night. This is a unique thing, not because of it harkening back to the movie, but the feeling that the movie/baseball brings in it's purest form.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I get what they are saying, but it would kind of equate to each team playing a home series at their AAA fields. That wouldn't be as meaningful as last night. This is a unique thing, not because of it harkening back to the movie, but the feeling that the movie/baseball brings in it's purest form.

The NHL teams playing their outdoor games is probably the closest thing I can think of.

• Agree
Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
One of the Athletic guys suggested hosting a game at one of the old Negro League stadiums. Which I think would be a pretty cool follow-up to this game.

A game at Rickwood Field in Birmingham, AL, home of the old Birmingham Black Barons, would be a great nod to some of the greats of baseball pre-integration. It would also bring pro baseball to an area that doesn't usually play host to it, similar to Dyersville.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL

Between this game, and the buzz in Buffalo when the Blue Jays where there, I would hope that the MLB sees how much these game mean to the local areas.

The League needs to find ways to get professional baseball into underserved areas! (And figure out the black-out situation)

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I don’t think there can be anything as meaningful as last night, but that’s not the point. Growing the game should be MLB’s biggest priority right now because their main viewers are older folks that aren’t going to be much help with streaming in the future. Bringing the game to places that don’t normally have it is a great idea and something that I don’t think would be all that tough to do.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
One of the Athletic guys suggested hosting a game at one of the old Negro League stadiums. Which I think would be a pretty cool follow-up to this game.

A game at Rickwood Field in Birmingham, AL, home of the old Birmingham Black Barons, would be a great nod to some of the greats of baseball pre-integration. It would also bring pro baseball to an area that doesn't usually play host to it, similar to Dyersville.
This would be cool. I wonder how many of those stadiums are still standing.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
I don’t think there can be anything as meaningful as last night, but that’s not the point. Growing the game should be MLB’s biggest priority right now because their main viewers are older folks that aren’t going to be much help with streaming in the future. Bringing the game to places that don’t normally have it is a great idea and something that I don’t think would be all that tough to do.

There is only one time for the first time. If this is still going 200 years from now, last night will still be the first time.

I was in IShitty for the 1977 football game, :mad:.

It was the 25th game of the series.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This would be cool but do people in Alabama give two sh*ts about Major League Baseball?