Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I'm sure ESPN is going to treat this very fairly and not trash the 8 schools. We won't be downgraded and marginalized to the point we're completely toxic

Just won't happen. The integrity of the Worldwide Leader and such
“Sure, the Iowa State Hawkeyes are undefeated, with wins over Texas and twice over Oklahoma, but are they REALLY deserving of a playoff bid? More after this 30 for 30 episode of Alabama’s epic 9-3 season this year.”

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I think we can all safely assume A&M would be willing to subvert the conference if it ***** over Texas as well. Doubly so since they were kept in the dark while all the discussions happened, in direct violation of a long-standing SEC tradition of giving members veto over in-state additions.
They just voted for expansion, so don’t hold your breath.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
MHver3 on twitter (Don't know credibility)

ESPN tried to get B12 to dissolve to get TXOU out now. Brokering WVU/OkSt to ACC, KU/ISU to B1G, and Baylor/KSU/TCU/TT to AAC .

If so, does todays firestorm help or hurt ISU?

H

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015

Hmmm.....wonder if a few Big 12 AD's, presidents, or other high up staff could lose their jobs. Of course, that could be the least of their worries right now. Bet they're busy rushing through their email from the last 12 months. Sleep well my friends.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
And someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the SEC doesn't have a GOR. So what's stopping the new mega powers from booting the small players sooner rather than later?
You are correct. Any SEC team can leave at any time without penalty.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Hmmm.....wonder if a few Big 12 AD's, presidents, or other high up staff could lose their jobs. Of course, that could be the least of their worries right now. Bet they're busy rushing through their email from the last 12 months. Sleep well my friends.

I think that could be true with the Texas President. He along with the WVU and TT Presidents were part of a small group that worked with a media consulting business hired by the Big12 to approach FOX and ESPN about starting up negotiations for the Big 12's next media contract.

I would think his ethics would come under question as he is working both sides and it allowed him to garner inside information related to FOX's (ESPN's Competitor) thought process on renewal of Big 12 Media Rights.

ESPN & FOX Decline Early Negotiations

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I was just reading an article about AAC expansion and found this nugget extra interesting with the news of the ESPN was "recommending" AAC take 3-5 schools " One league insider said Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and West Virginia would be the most obvious choices if The American went to 16". Coincidence?

The article also noted that if the B12 wanted to be the aggressor and take from the AAC it require 27-month notice and $10 million exit fee. UCONN ended up paying 17 millions to get out in a year.

All the more reason to force UT/OU to stay for at least 2 years. Even if another school would be identified they won't be able to get out of their BOR for a while.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Reactions: cyclonehomer

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I was just reading an article about AAC expansion and found this nugget extra interesting with the news of the ESPN was "recommending" AAC take 3-5 schools " One league insider said Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and West Virginia would be the most obvious choices if The American went to 16". Coincidence?
I think it's good that Iowa State isn't on that list????

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
While this cease and dissest is important. Doesn't change the fact that Oklahoma and Texas are going to the SEC.
True, they are gone, but boy could it make it a lot more costly to ESPN. How stable would the league be with say a billion dollar judgement against ESPN.

Help Support Us

Become a patron