Where Will ISU End Up if the Big 12 Implodes?

Where Will ISU End Up If the Big 12 Implodes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The point is that it helps recruiting for schools that are not Ohio State or Michigan or Penn State. It is assumed that a university is going to bring in the best players they possibly can. Whether they are starters or all conference is irrelevant. It isn't complicated.

Still waiting on that list. I don’t even care include starters for UM and tOSU even though I know they have a handful between them. Transfers don’t count though.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
And this makes it even easier. Same as being in the SEC is going to make it easier for OU and Texas to go to places like Georgia and Florida. They have even said this.
But it also allows Rutgers to keep those kids themselves. Stay home and play for the state school of NJ and still be able to play in the Big 10

Again UT is not moving to the SEC to try and recruit those states, its more to keep the Texas kids at home playing for them as opposed to going to the SEC schools because that is where the future pros play. Looking at their roster for this year I see one kid from Georgia and 2 from Louisiana. They had 3 from St. Louis and about 5 from California, 1 from Utah, 1 from Colorado and the rest are from Texas.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
But it also allow Rutgers to keep those kids themselves. Stay home and play for the state school of NJ and sit be able to play in the Big 10

Im mad at myself for even going down this road. It’s meaningless at this point. This isn’t the previous realignment. This is a war now.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
But it also allow Rutgers to keep those kids themselves. Stay home and play for the state school of NJ and sit be able to play in the Big 10
Exactly which would should have made Rutgers better and in turn the Big 10 products. Obviously they had some bad coaching hires but Schiano is cleaning up out there right now. I think that was the general idea it just didn't work from the beginning.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Hard to say…..

honestly, I am not sure why the pac12 seems like a likely landing spot since to me they need another brand name… I guess geographically the remaining B12 teams will be the closest and best options for them. But, the revenue is bad now and not sure if adding the teams that are available will increase per team distributions (hope I am wrong).

no idea why b10 would expand (again hope I am wrong). But would per team revenue increase or even stay the same if they added any of the remaining teams?

to me the conferences that expansion makes sense for are the ones that get the brand names: OU, ND, TX. If two go to one conference that only leaves one “partner” school. In this case it’s ND to the ACC +1 partner…. That would be the most logical landing spot for one of the teams on the outside looking in. For others…. I think they would need the sec deal to fall apart and for OU and Tex to go to different conferences or to the pac where others could go with them…

only other would be b10 poaching a team and needing a partner…. Like adding clemson and needing a partner.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan

Wisconsin Badgers perspective with nice things to say about a Kansas and ISU add to the Big 10

I've seen similar articles coming from Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State media, all saying that ISU would be a good fit for the B1G. If this all goes down, then I think we are in a good position to jump.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
SEC will take 4 big 12 teams to help the conference dissolve thereby making it much cleaner for UT and OU to move on. So My guess is that 2 of 3 from OSU, ISU, and WVU end up in the SEC along with UT and OU.
If this happens, it won’t be us or WV. It will be Oklahoma State and Texas Tech.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Exactly which would should have made Rutgers better and in turn the Big 10 products. Obviously they had some bad coaching hires but Schiano is cleaning up out there right now. I think that was the general idea it just didn't work from the beginning.
You are really all over the place, so now its a good thing for Rutgers, I thought you were selling that being getting into Georgia that it would help the Big 10 recruiting there. Now it will also improve the recruiting of Georgia Tech?

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
What also helped tremendously in the war was our huge advantage in resources. After the NIL ruling and with this move to the SEC by OU and UT........who do you think has that advantage?

The Big Ten has like 10 of the 15 largest alumni bases in the country. Wealthy ones at that. They have plenty of resources. Dont confuse that with success and name brand on the football field.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
You are really all over the place, so now its a good thing for Rutgers, I thought you were selling that being getting into Georgia that it would help the Big 10 recruiting there. Now it will also improve the recruiting of Georgia Tech?
Yeah being in the Big 10 is good for Rutgers football recruiting. It's also better for Big 10 schools who recruit in New Jersey. Not sure what the overall advantage would be in terms of instate recruiting for say Georgia Tech, but it would definitely make it easier for Big 10 schools to recruit in Georgia if Tech was in the Big 10.

• Dumb
Reactions: 2speedy1

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Hard to say…..

honestly, I am not sure why the pac12 seems like a likely landing spot since to me they need another brand name… I guess geographically the remaining B12 teams will be the closest and best options for them. But, the revenue is bad now and not sure if adding the teams that are available will increase per team distributions (hope I am wrong).

no idea why b10 would expand (again hope I am wrong). But would per team revenue increase or even stay the same if they added any of the remaining teams?

to me the conferences that expansion makes sense for are the ones that get the brand names: OU, ND, TX. If two go to one conference that only leaves one “partner” school. In this case it’s ND to the ACC +1 partner…. That would be the most logical landing spot for one of the teams on the outside looking in. For others…. I think they would need the sec deal to fall apart and for OU and Tex to go to different conferences or to the pac where others could go with them…

only other would be b10 poaching a team and needing a partner…. Like adding clemson and needing a partner.
I look at it like this, its an opportunity for a redo for their conference. They fired their comish last year, they have the only network fully owned by the league without a partner such as Fox or Espn. Maybe they are thinking if we can pull this off, we have basically all the football from the Missouri River to the Pacific, not counting Nebraska of course.

Rebadge the league, gives them teams in that 11:00 window instead of forcing schools on the West Coast to start a game at 9:00 local time, and try to move up from number 5 P5 league to maybe number 2 or 3.

Last edited:

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
The term "non-profit" is a misnomer. There isn't a non-profit in the country that doesn't try to make money. They all try to maximize revenues to either be able to further their mission and of course load their own pockets in the process.
Load their own pockets?!? For what, other than their mission?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Hard to say…..

If the Pac added TT, OSU, KSU and ISU, they would add 4 major state universities in 4 states in the Central Time Zone and stretch from the Pacific Ocean to the Mississippi River, That's a lot of TVs and decent TV markets without too much wear and tear travel with the 4 new teams, Colorado, Utah and the Arizona Schools in the Eastern Division and the old Pac-8 in the Western Division. It makes a lot of sense actually.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
ForeverIowan, I like your spirit.

Programs that match UT and OU’s brands are not coming available anytime soon for the B1G or Pac 12. Why not be opportunistic and pick up some solid programs while they are available at a “bargain price”?
THIS! The idea that the B1G would wait until the equivalent of UT and OU are looking for a new home would be completely idiotic! That may never happen again ever.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I look at it like this, its an opportunity for a redo for their conference. They fired their comish last year, they have the only network fully owned by the league without a partner such as Fox or Espn. Maybe they are thinking if we can pull this off, we have basically all the football from the Missouri River to the Pacific, not counting Nebraska of course.

Rebadge the league, gives them teams in that 11:00 window instead of forcing schools on the West Coast to start a game at 9:00 local time, and try to move up from number 5 P5 league to maybe number 2 or 3.
[/QUOT

I just don’t see that adding to the pac 12 conference helps them. I do hope I am wrong… but I am trying to understand how adding 2-4 schools changes the story for them. If there is no brand name to come with the others I just think it is a hard sell.

if I am the pac 12 I leverage my geographic isolation to my advantage, stay at 12, with the brands I have, region I represent, I keep my place at the table. As revenues start to grow I will distribute more per team with 12 than if I add a group with limited brand value. This is not a knock on ISU…. ISU may be more attentive than many other teams currently in power conferences. But there is not an option to reset from square one.

my hope is that the ACC convinces ND to join and we beat UConn/wvu for the final spot there.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
It's not even about saving college football, it's about saving and establishing some kind of order in college athletics in the first place.

The problem has always been athletic is "non-proftit" in name, but ran as a "for-profit" entity where greed overrides common sense. Conference should be based around school size, alumni, and geographic footprint. Moreover, limitations on AD, coaches, et al salaries should have established long ago. Players not getting paid wasn't the problem, is was the fact guys like Saban et al were making millions selling kids lies only to bolt for greener pastures later. There's a lot wrong with that.

I really thought the government should have stepped in a long time ago to mitigate senseless travel, the expenses that go with it, and the insanity that college sports has become. If it really is ALL about the money, just get rid of all of the women's sports, and all men's sports outside of college football and basketball. But, if that happens, what's left? What made college athletics into what it was will be completely gone. It's already on it's way there with this NIL deals, which have essentially paved the way for boosters to pump in a ton of money to attract recruits. Soon the Texas's of the world will be able to buy all of their players. Then what? Allow them to be on the team without taking classes.

The entire system is completely broken. The irony is I can see these things leading to college football's demise. If you take away everything that made it great people will quit watching.
Thank you for that, I think. I agree with your assessment but of course am not thankful for the way college football or college athletics is going.

I guess it is too much to ask for the government to step in, if they haven't up to now. But this feels much different to me. They need to now. The NIL is probably a good place to start. Did everyone see this as it seems to be turning in to? Start with the NIL and place some limits so the bigger schools can't get an unfair advantage. Giving financial reward to the athletes is fine but the way this is looking is too much and an immediate red light.

Apart from that, someone needs to step in to fix what is left before it is all too late. I guess we have to wait a little to see how crazy it gets. Already the TX, OK, And all the other State legislators from the Big 12 step children will be on alert and may soon be working overtime.