Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Maybe for Top Golf or group tickets to something but bar tabs we've always just rotate who picks that one up. The only real rule we have is the bachelor doesn't pay a dime
That is tough though. How does that make the guy feel, who drinks $4 Coors tall boys only, and meanwhile there are other guys who want 8-$10 cocktails? Not exactly fair.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
If I or anyone else in my friend group suggested that we do the math ourselves as opposed to having the server take care of it with their computer cash register, that person would be scorned and ridiculed. That is what they are there for. They want a nice tip? Dividing up checks is part of the gig.

And I feel like your chances of someone in the group being a good tipper is higher if you split the bills up. There's usually someone who never tips more than 15%, someone who never tips 15, and someone who always tips more.

Coming up with the tip for a full table bill also leads to the $$$ seeming like a lot of money.

15-20% of a huge full table bill is going to seem like more than 15-20%+ of each individual tab.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
My thought is best man pays for everything and after the weekend figure out tabs amongst themselves.

That's kind of what we did on snowmobile trips for fuel and lodging. One guy paid and tallied it up at the end. Very easy and very fair.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
That is tough though. How does that make the guy feel, who drinks $4 Coors tall boys only, and meanwhile there are other guys who want 8-$10 cocktails? Not exactly fair.

The guy drinking those cocktails is probably going to be the one supplying the entertainment later. Consider it an investment.

Who cares? Start ordering them two at a time I guess? That's the kind of thing that would drive me nuts on a trip. Drink what you want and go with the flow and that's coming from the guy who'd be drinking the Coors.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
And I feel like your chances of someone in the group being a good tipper is higher if you split the bills up. There's usually someone who never tips more than 15%, someone who never tips 15, and someone who always tips more.

Coming up with the tip for a full table bill also leads to the $$$ seeming like a lot of money.

15-20% of a huge full table bill is going to seem like more than 15-20%+ of each individual tab.
Absolutely defines my group. We've got good tippers, average tippers, and at least one fuddy duddy that will never tip no matter what.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The guy drinking those cocktails is probably going to be the one supplying the entertainment later. Consider it an investment.

Who cares? Start ordering them two at a time I guess? That's the kind of thing that would drive me nuts on a trip. Drink what you want and go with the flow and that's coming from the guy who'd be drinking the Coors.
It just seems like everyone paying their own bill would make the problem I outlined and in your 2nd paragraph go away.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

It's a freaking bachelor party. You're not gonna be that far apart on any expense even if someone is drinking $8 cocktails. Buy a bucket if you must. I have some cheap friends but a round where they buy and they get the cheapest drink for themselves is a non-factor.

Exactly. Do whatever you want but don't be the guy that's fretting over $4 vs $8 drinks, that drops the mood.

Reactions: I@ST1 and cycloneG

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Absolutely defines my group. We've got good tippers, average tippers, and at least one fuddy duddy that will never tip no matter what.

This him?

giphy.gif

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It's a freaking bachelor party. You're not gonna be that far apart on any expense even if someone is drinking $8 cocktails. Buy a bucket if you must. I have some cheap friends but a round where they buy and they get the cheapest drink for themselves is a non-factor.

Exactly. Do whatever you want but don't be the guy that's fretting over $4 vs $8 drinks, that drops the mood.

Don't be the guy that complains about the quality of the beer, especially at a bachelor party. On your own, drink whatever you like.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018

My rule of thumb is never order something you wouldn't order if you were buying yourself. Don't be drinking cheap stuff one minute and somebody offers to buy a round and order something way more expensive.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
My rule of thumb is never order something you wouldn't order if you were buying yourself. Don't be drinking cheap stuff one minute and somebody offers to buy a round and order something way more expensive.

Now that is different and I agree.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It just seems like everyone paying their own bill would make the problem I outlined and in your 2nd paragraph go away.

It's also a much bigger pain in the ass when there's a group of 8 especially if it's for only a couple drinks.

"Here, please run 8 different $11 tabs rather than us all throwing in $15 cash and calling it good. Also, bring me change."

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If I or anyone else in my friend group suggested that we do the math ourselves as opposed to having the server take care of it with their computer cash register, that person would be scorned and ridiculed. That is what they are there for. They want a nice tip? Dividing up checks is part of the gig.

I tend to tip based on attitude and competency rather than the amount of needless ******** I put them through.

Reactions: Macloney

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It's also a much bigger pain in the ass when there's a group of 8 especially if it's for only a couple drinks.

"Here, please run 8 different $11 tabs rather than us all throwing in $15 cash and calling it good. Also, bring me change."

I mean they're using a system literally built to handle such things. We are talking a matter of seconds difference. Seems your better choice here if you're concerned with the server would be to not use cash.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I mean they're using a system literally built to handle such things. Seems your better choice here if you're concerned with the server would be to not use cash.

Most servers most places prefer cash.

I'm much more concerned with someone getting me stuck on any sort of trip with some of you guys. I bet we'd spend half our time deciding if the steakhouse was worth it or if we should just have Dominos delivered although we may end up at the steakhouse anyway because I'm not sure Dominos would split the tab.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I'm much more concerned with someone getting me stuck on any sort of trip with some of you guys. I bet we'd spend half our time deciding if the steakhouse was worth it or if we should just have Dominos delivered although we may end up at the steakhouse anyway because I'm not sure Dominos would split the tab.

Delivery is a different animal altogether.

Yours acting like a server has to move mountains to split tabs, when in actuality a lot of the time theyre already recording things by seat anyway and combining the ones who are together at the end. A couple more card swipes isn't a big difference.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

When I worked as a server I preferred people to pay with a card but tip with cash. Breaking a table into 4 orders was easy because I had what everyone got separated anyway. The only thing it adds is a couple extra swipes of a credit card. Literally not a big deal at all.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Who pays on dates now? The guy was always stuck in my day, womens lib wasn’t in big force on dates it seemed.