Jamie vs the DMR

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I’m surprised this didn’t get much more discussion in the softball thread. Curious what you guys think about it. I don’t have a problem with him calling out the register on coverage however, I thought it was petty to say this is why I cancelled years ago. They are already struggling enough without Jamie’s negative influence. Just another example of Jamie being thin skinned but don’t tell him that or you’ll be blocked on Twitter.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
He's absolutely right in this case. They ignored a weekend full of historic accomplishments in favor of a story about a program that was cut 20 years ago.

They also consistently run the Press-Citizen stories about SUI's non-revenue sports, but assign nobody from the Ames Trib to do the same -- probably because there is basically nobody left at the Trib other than Travis and whatever stringers they can find to do prep sports.

Plus, the DMR couldn't even identify the women's tennis team accurately when they made NCAAs (called them the men's tennis team).

It's amazing how much worse the DMR has gotten even after the Ames Trib was folded in.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I’m surprised this didn’t get much more discussion in the softball thread. Curious what you guys think about it. I don’t have a problem with him calling out the register on coverage however, I thought it was petty to say this is why I cancelled years ago. They are already struggling enough without Jamie’s negative influence. Just another example of Jamie being thin skinned but don’t tell him that or you’ll be blocked on Twitter.

Part of an AD's job is to increase awareness of their teams...that is accomplished by using social media, print media, and TV/cable. Maybe if the Register actually treated all of the state universities equally their subscription numbers wouldn't be tanking? Now, if the Register wants to ride that Hawk pony into oblivion...go for it. They go tango uniform and the Gazette becomes the sole survivor. But don't feel bad for a company that made a business decision to limit their appeal to a limited number of subscribers...incredibly short-sighted and everyone loses.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Normally I'm all in on JP but he has a point on this one. I also think the 20th anniversary is a good time to write a story about the baseball team being gone. Maybe the day after writing about the softball team would have been a better look though. He's just really touchy about baseball.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
JP has never been a PC guy and that's what I love about him. Let's be honest, there is no love loss between ISU athletics and the DM register.

I do hope the DM Register writes on the 20th anniversary of Iowa swimming & diving and eliminating the programs.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Normally I'm all in on JP but he has a point on this one. I also think the 20th anniversary is a good time to write a story about the baseball team being gone. Maybe the day after writing about the softball team would have been a better look though. He's just really touchy about baseball.

Because it is a simple story that has already been told. Baseball loses money hand-over-fist for most schools and that is even more so when you consider the title 9 implications of it.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
I’m surprised this didn’t get much more discussion in the softball thread. Curious what you guys think about it. I don’t have a problem with him calling out the register on coverage however, I thought it was petty to say this is why I cancelled years ago........

Does Jamie need a subscription to read the Rag on-line?

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
He's absolutely right in this case. They ignored a weekend full of historic accomplishments in favor of a story about a program that was cut 20 years ago.

They also consistently run the Press-Citizen stories about SUI's non-revenue sports, but assign nobody from the Ames Trib to do the same -- probably because there is basically nobody left at the Trib other than Travis and whatever stringers they can find to do prep sports.

Plus, the DMR couldn't even identify the women's tennis team accurately when they made NCAAs (called them the men's tennis team).

It's amazing how much worse the DMR has gotten even after the Ames Trib was folded in.
You make some good points. I do think Birch worked hard on the baseball story and I’m sure Randy accidentally locked himself in a bathroom somewhere but they chose their headline.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron