Friday OT #1 - Caught In a Bad Romance

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I was on a date, second date, with a girl in Kansas City, and she slipped that she was also in early stages of dating someone else.
Better than having drinks after a dinner date and she tells you she's been cheating on you.

Reactions: Angie

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I was at Peyton Manning’s last game as a Colt, a playoff loss to (I think) the Jets. There was a cute girl behind me and I had some liquid courage in me so I asked her number and asked her out without knowing anything about her.

Went out for dinner and she talked for 30 straight minutes about the shoe blog she had. I can respect that she had something that she was so passionate about but I was so bored that I’ve never wanted to commit self harm more.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I've been pretty successful in avoiding the rom-coms. Haven't seen The Notebook either.
Honestly, newer rom-coms can be pretty good. Lose a guy in 10 days, Just Friends, The Lovebirds, etc.

Reactions: wxman1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Went on a date, I was 23, and found out she was 19. Had supper and just agreed to go home afterwards, as she wanted to go to HS keggers and as a loan officer, drinking with High Schoolers in town would not have went well.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
One of my exes in college tried getting me to watch How I Met Your Mother, I denied and played GTA 5 instead. She then cheated on me with some frat guy. She said " You were just so nice, and too good for me, I didn't know how to break it off with you, so I cheated so you would have a reason to leave" Ok Psychopath. (Dating a sorority girl as a non greek member is kinda hard)

• Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Too many to count and too much story to tell.

#LoveIsn'tReal

(Hell you could probably search that and find a couple threads by me lol)

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I met a girl online and went to dinner with her, but she was so shy she hardly spoke. I tried to open her up by asking questions but she would respond with one word answers and did nothing to hold her end of the conversation. I'm not personally great at driving a conversation and am a bit introverted myself, but she was introverted to the max. I felt like a jerk but I decided to just finish dinner (which wasn't hard since we didn't waste any time talking), pay the check and get out.

Reactions: Angie

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
No real crazy stories here since I married my HS sweetheart. Did go on a date with one girl before my current wife who couldn't make a decision to save her life. I'd rather argue over what we will do vs. "I don't care you pick"

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
This may be an anti-date story since we never actually went on a date, but my mom has a woman she occasionally works with who has a daughter the same age as me. This woman has been trying to set me and her daughter up on a date for over ten years (including once when she found out I had been broken up with a day or two before). My mom always handles it with tact

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
This may be an anti-date story since we never actually went on a date, but my mom has a woman she occasionally works with who has a daughter the same age as me. This woman has been trying to set me and her daughter up on a date for over ten years (including once when she found out I had been broken up with a day or two before). My mom always handles it with tact

She good looking?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I met a girl online and went to dinner with her, but she was so shy she hardly spoke. I tried to open her up by asking questions but she would respond with one word answers and did nothing to hold her end of the conversation. I'm not personally great at driving a conversation and am a bit introverted myself, but she was introverted to the max. I felt like a jerk but I decided to just finish dinner (which wasn't hard since we didn't waste any time talking), pay the check and get out.

I had a similar instance a couple years ago. I’d ask a question. “Yeah” “No” Conversation would just dead end every time.

Idk if she was just shy or what. I tried my best to keep the conversation going, but I think my frustration was starting to show by the end of it.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I had a similar instance a couple years ago. I’d ask a question. “Yeah” “No” Conversation would just dead end every time.

Idk if she was just shy or what. I tried my best to keep the conversation going, but I think my frustration was starting to show by the end of it.

Makes for a very awkward and uncomfortable first date doesn't it. People like that need to be paired either with somebody who just never stops talking or someone who is just as comfortable as they are by sitting in complete silence and not talking at all.

Reactions: Angie and Cyched

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I volunteered for the ambulance service when I was fresh out of college. Had a woman volunteer try to set me up with her daughter, since she thought i was probably bored and would give me somebody to hang out with. I politely distanced myself from that figuring any woman who had her mom set her up must be one to avoid. Well, after I married my wife, the family came up in conversation and I told her about the mom trying to set me up with the daughter. Wife showed me a photo (turns out she was decent looking) and told me all she ever did with her boyfriend in HS was get busy. Talk about a missed call there.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I had a coworker who was very nice, great guy, just not my type. A mutual really good friend wore me down and convinced me to go out with the coworker once.

We went to dinner - I insisted on paying for myself, as I didn't want to send any signals. We then sat for an hour while he was almost silent, other than one-word answers I pried out of him. I'm not great at super-awkward silences, so I prattled on and joked about whatever, then faked a call from my parents and left. I felt terrible, as I know he was super-shy and a great guy - but it just made it really strange and I don't deal with awkwardness well AT ALL.

• Agree
Reactions: BuffettClone

Help Support Us

Become a patron