Caleb Grill is Returning to Iowa State

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I think you’re confused.. He’s 100% coming to Iowa State. He might have to sit out next year (at Iowa State). He’d be a practice player for us, would be fully enrolled at Iowa State, will be on the bench in Hilton, but he wouldn’t be able to suit up and play.

Hasn’t he sat out before? Isn’t ISU, some Dakota school, and UNLV all places he went? Or is everyone on JorBo plan with Covid? How old is he at this point?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Hasn’t he sat out before? Isn’t ISU, some Dakota school, and UNLV all places he went? Or is everyone on JorBo plan with Covid? How old is he at this point?

No. He hasn't sat.

2019-2020 = (freshman) eligible for Iowa State
2020-2021 = (sophomore) eligible for UNLV after wavier
2021-2022 = ???

He "should" be a junior next season by academic class.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
He was a freshman two years ago with Jackson. Played last year at UNLV. So I don’t think so.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

CascadiaClone

FKA BoredInKildee
Sep 26, 2012
Portland, Ore
Lol, last year was his second year in college. He’s only 20 years old. He was committed to TJ and SDSU, then got out of his LOI to come to ISU for his freshman season. He was immediately eligible last year after transferring to UNLV for soph year.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He has not. And he never went to SDSU. That’s why he may have to sit out this time because he already used a free transfer.

And he’ll be a junior who has 3 years to play if he’s eligible to play.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
No. He hasn't sat.

2019-2020 = (freshman) eligible for Iowa State
2020-2021 = (sophomore) eligible for UNLV after wavier
2021-2022 = ???

He "should" be a junior next season by academic class.

Given his combo of three school choices, don’t think he’s too concerned about academic standing other than eligibility I guess.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I thought you could transfer back to your old school with no sit out year. Thought I read that in the Tyler Harris back to Memphis thread

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
Given his combo of three school choices, don’t think he’s too concerned about academic standing other than eligibility I guess.
What the hell are you taking about. He’s only ever been enrolled at 2 schools. And transferring from one school to another is no indication on whether he cares about his academic standing

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I thought you could transfer back to your old school with no sit out year. Thought I read that in the Tyler Harris back to Memphis thread
Yeah I’m guessing both are able to play right away.

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Don't get me wrong because I want to win every game next year and I'd rather have him than not but I don't really have any expectations for next year, if Grill has to sit, he is a nice piece coming in to a team that I think I would expect to compete for a tourney bid. '22 looks decent if the right guys stick around/develop.

It would also not only free up a lot of minutes for a transfer but it could set up a nice opportunity for Jackson, Walker and Johnson to earn minutes.

It wouldn't be ideal but Grill having to sit has some silver linings.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Fred seemed to have a formula for helping sit out transfers accelerate their development during the sit out year. Let's hope TJ has that formula and puts it to use on Grill. Becoming even stronger and working on his handle, his quickness and his outside shot could make him a valuable piece in 2022 and beyond.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I think TJ thinks that Grill is a critical player for us. TJ needs someone who: practices and plays extremely hard - all the time, puts the team and school in everything that he does - all the time, and is at least good enough to put stress on the opponent's defensive and offensive plans - all the time. This type of player may not get all or many headlines but is reliable and the essential connector in the structure of a team. This allows TJ to focus on the other players and opens up opportunities for them and the team to be the best they it can be.

Think Nick Weiler-Babb. Nick may not have been as athletic or dangerous as Wigginton but Nick was reliable and trustworthy. Both the coach and the players can trust this type of player and, therefore, be free to do what they are supposed to do.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
That whole line of thinking got started because someone misinterpreted the rules and then everyone started repeating it like it was fact. That’s only a rule if you didn’t play a certain amount of days at the school you transferred to or something along those lines. Because Grill and Harris played the entire season at UNLV and ISU, that rule doesn’t apply to them.

That being said, I still think both will be immediately eligible due to covid, coaching changes, etc.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

This is oddly misplaced frustration. His only 2 transfers occurred because the coach he really wanted to play for was at another job. Came to Iowa State thinking it was his dream, realized he wanted to play for TJ and then follows TJ to his new job.

Help Support Us

Become a patron