***Official St. Louis Cardinals 2021 Season Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
This may be unpopular, and don’t get me wrong, I’ve loved listening to the guy for years but Mike Shannon is almost impossible to listen to this year. I have absolutely no clue what’s going on at any time when he’s announcing. He reacts to a two out single the exact same way as he would to a grand slam. Glad he is getting his victory lap this year but good lord, it should’ve been three years ago.
Maybe dumb question. How are people listening to the radio call in De Moines this year. Seems KXNO isn’t doing the games anymore. Haven’t really been in the car during games a ton though so haven’t really found an alternative.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
Yeah, I’m glad he’s hanging it up too. It seems like he’s gotten really bad this year. He doesn’t have any fire in his voice, almost like he’s bored or not even really knowing what’s going on. He’s always been pretty bad, but at least he was excited and jovial...not this year. He butchers players names, mixes up which players are on which team, and repeats the same stats/jokes multiple times in the same inning.

I actually was researching yesterday if he had a stroke or something. At first I assumed he was just drunk like usual, but he sounds really bad even in the early innings now. I did read that he got COVID and they had to put him in a coma to get through it. So, maybe he’s got some after effects there.

Either way, I’m glad he’s only doing home half innings of home games. I’d much rather listen to the rest of the broadcast team.

Wow. I didn’t know about the covid coma...that does seem to explain some of the way he’s been this year.

Maybe dumb question. How are people listening to the radio call in De Moines this year. Seems KXNO isn’t doing the games anymore. Haven’t really been in the car during games a ton though so haven’t really found an alternative.

I live further East and KCOB in Newton carries them. I’m glad they have been an option even when KXNO did carry the cardinals. It always seemed like KXNO carried random games with no rhyme or reason as to why or why not. They’ve done the same things with the Vikings in the past too. Reached out to them once on it and got no response.

• Informative

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
At night you should be able to pick up KMOX. I don't have too much trouble when I'm driving around Waterloo listening in.

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County

Also, I downloaded the MLB app last year. I think it cost 25 bucks a year and you get every call of every game all season. It's pretty awesome and definitley worth the money in my opinion.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Nice series sweep. On to Shannon, I have loved hearing him for twenty plus years but like others have said its time to walk into the sunset. It was always comical to hear him get really giggly when he was 3/4 in the bag.

Who would take over for him?
They have Horton and Rooney on the radio and I think they do a fine job-better than the TV broadcasters. Horton is the color. I've always liked Shannon's enthusiasm for the game but, yeah, he's 81 years old and has lost some of that which made him good. He doesn't have the energy any more. The only one I know who was still doing well at that age was Vin Sully.

Last edited:
Reactions: throwittoblythe

StevieISU23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
Radio in Des Moines:
1120AM out of St.Louis
95.9 FM (I think) out of Newton

Newton station was coming in better last night, than the St.Louie station.

• Friendly

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
They have Horton and Rooney on the radio and I think they do a fine job-better than the TV broadcasters. Horton is the color. I've always liked Shannon's enthusiasm for the game but, yeah, he's 81 years old and has lost some of that which made him good. He doesn't have the energy any more. The only one I know who was still doing well at that age was Vin Sully.

The guy that does the Yankees is still pretty solid even though a lot of it is way over the top.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Shannon has not worked last night & again tonight. Any statement from the media?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It looks like Carlson and O’Neill may well have ironed things out. I can’t say I have similar hopes for Bader, though. I’d prefer more than just “good defense” in that spot—especially with DeJong’s sporadic offense.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
It looks like Carlson and O’Neill may well have ironed things out. I can’t say I have similar hopes for Bader, though. I’d prefer more than just “good defense” in that spot—especially with DeJong’s sporadic offense.
I can't believe how O'Neill seems to have transformed himself. Putting his bat on the ball (i.e., not striking out every time) and hitting to all fields. He's alway had prodigious power. Hopefully, he can keep this up.