IKEA

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
100%. I think a fielded a version of every one of these when I was a kid. My favorite is the unanswerable statement... These days it's "It said on the website that it was in the store"... as if A) it couldn't have sold out between now and then, B) no errors ever occur, or C) the staff is hiding it from you?

I like the video and agree with these A, B, C, reasons but I am glad for the web inventory note and don't feel bad asking because I have experienced numerous times where the stores did have it but it was (a) dual located on an endcap or special display, as well as the normal aisle spot, or (b) they did "find some in the back", even though I am aware stores have less of a backroom now with a "truck" that comes a couple times a week.

"A" can happen but usually it means the computer inventory is correct - "it is here somewhere", and staff has educated guesses about the somewhere, where before you would just give up.

st8cydr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
This video has made the rounds in the office where I work. It's retail financial services, so it was a big hit. We've jokingly suggested charging a "dumbass" fee for some of the stunts people try to pull. One of my favorite lines I hear is "well I worked in a bank 20 years ago and that's not how it's done..." Um, ok...

And I agree with cyclones500-everyone should have to do some time working in retail.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The thread is talking about how horrible customers are in a humorous manner and I'm bringing up the other end of the encounter to show that it's not always the customer being a jerk.

I guess I'm not 'joking around' I'm having a discussion, but I'm not angry or upset.

Le%27veon+-+Sarcastic+Thumbs+Up.gif

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Customers are always going to be bigger jerks than employees from the law of averages.

100% of the people working retail or food service are working to pay the bills.

Less than 100% of customers can say the same so there will naturally be a higher rate of entitled a-holes.

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
As has been pointed out the app could be behind on inventory status. I recently went to my regular store(part of a chain) to get ink for my printer, store was out but was told store 10 miles away had some. Went there guess what they were out but another store 5 moles away had some. Went there and they had some so I bought double of what I had planned. Drove about 25 moles that day but computer said each store had inventory

PS spent 32 years with a retail chain designing/building stores and have heard all the stories.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The only store I physically go in to on a regular basis these days is Von Maur. IKEA has been a nightmare during the pandemic. A couple weekends ago we tried to go and because of their restrictions on capacity the line was wrapping around the building.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
As has been pointed out the app could be behind on inventory status. I recently went to my regular store(part of a chain) to get ink for my printer, store was out but was told store 10 miles away had some. Went there guess what they were out but another store 5 moles away had some. Went there and they had some so I bought double of what I had planned. Drove about 25 moles that day but computer said each store had inventory

PS spent 32 years with a retail chain designing/building stores and have heard all the stories.

That's when you call the second store, have someone there find it, and put it behind the counter for you.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I thought the video was funny

with that said, shopping in stores can be downright painful. I try to shop locally, butgetting the IDGAF high school kid to help you isn’t worthgoing in a lot of the time

Jeff Bezos wins again

Reactions: davegilbertson

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Why are we rewarding this though?
Why do next-to-minimum wage workers have to get punished by the Karen's of the world, when in reality most of the high dollar earners in retail are the 1% that never have to even talk to a customer face to face if they choose not to? Working retail and/or service industry blows and is a broken system.

I can remember working at Hy-vee one night and had a boomer-aged gentleman absolutely lose his sh** on me when I refused to return an item that he didn't buy at our store. Dropped several F-Bombs and gave me his sob story about how I was a great example at what was wrong with my generation, no respect for customers or making sure the customer is always right, blah blah blah. Yeah, I was making about 15 bucks an hour at the time, and he was screaming at me over $7.68. I was hopeful for a career with Hy-Vee at that point so I ended up bending over for him, but in hindsight if I could go back and do it again, I would tell him GFY. Jobs like that, and there are millions like it in retail, just simply aren't worth taking that kind of guff.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Why do next-to-minimum wage workers have to get punished by the Karen's of the world, when in reality most of the high dollar earners in retail are the 1% that never have to even talk to a customer face to face if they choose not to? Working retail and/or service industry blows and is a broken system.

I can remember working at Hy-vee one night and had a boomer-aged gentleman absolutely lose his sh** on me when I refused to return an item that he didn't buy at our store. Dropped several F-Bombs and gave me his sob story about how I was a great example at what was wrong with my generation, no respect for customers or making sure the customer is always right, blah blah blah. Yeah, I was making about 15 bucks an hour at the time, and he was screaming at me over $7.68. I was hopeful for a career with Hy-Vee at that point so I ended up bending over for him, but in hindsight if I could go back and do it again, I would tell him GFY. Jobs like that, and there are millions like it in retail, just simply aren't worth taking that kind of guff.

I'm not excusing anyone being disrespectful or rude. I've been on the receiving end of those encounters, and unfortunately that's not my time, and I'm a representative of the company. If I don't like that arrangement I can choose to quit or say GFY and deal w/ consequences.

That said, I've been on the receiving end of customer service folks who really DGAS and it's apparent even though I'm not shouting at them about my rights as a customer.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone