Marcus Fizer Jr.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Did abdul-aziz predate the 3 point line? I wonder if he would have averaged significantly more if so. Like didn't someone do the math on pistol pete and he would have been at like 50 ppg or some ****.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Did abdul-aziz predate the 3 point line? I wonder if he would have averaged significantly more if so. Like didn't someone do the math on pistol pete and he would have been at like 50 ppg or some ****.

Ya pretty sure he did.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

1982 or 1983 is the first time I think I remember the 3 point line. The one I remember was the ACC at 17'9" with Terry Gannon firing away all the time.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Yes, Don Smith (Abdul-Aziz) was late 60's. It was illegal to dunk during that period.

• Agree
Reactions: IsUaClone2

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Jeff hornacek only got two years with a three point line if I remember right. Not only that but very few plays were designed for a three point shot at that point

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Jeff hornacek only got two years with a three point line if I remember right. Not only that but very few plays were designed for a three point shot at that point

the 3 point line was instituted the year after he graduated. Elmer was the only guy on that 86-87 team that was a threat. Thompkins worked his ass off and made himself a 3pt threat the next year

Reactions: brett108

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Over the past few years I keep hearing a ton about how passionate Marcus Fizer (Sr.) was/is about Iowa State. I think he even mentioned wanting to be a coach here. I am not sure about his coaching abilities, but an interesting consideration if an opening presents itself for an assistant job. It would be really cool if his son develops into a power 5 level player and came here.
Him and Tinsley both coach now if I’m not mistaken

HTOWN Cyclone

May 27, 2018
Man! I wonder how many more games we would have won with a 3 pt line when Hornacek, Barry Stevens, and Ron Virgil played. They made a ton of shots way beyond the arch

HTOWN Cyclone

May 27, 2018
Oh boy, some rarified air here. Don Smith (Abdul-Aziz), Jeff Grayer, Marcus Fizer!!! To me 3 of the top 6 to ever play at ISU. One could make an argument that these 3 were the top 3 ever!

Gary Thompson needs to be in there

Known as the "Roland Rocket", Gary Thompson came to Iowa State University from the small town of Roland, Iowa to become one of the Cyclones' first cage stars. A 5'10 guard, Thompson was the first Iowa State player to score more than 1,000 points and the first player in school history to tally 40 points in a game. As a senior in 1956–57, Thompson earned consensus second team All-American honors, first team All-America status from the Associated Press, and was named Big Seven Conference player of the year, beating out Kansas star Wilt Chamberlain. Thompson excelled in a second sport as well, leading Iowa State to the 1957 College World Series as a star shortstop.[1]

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Gary Thompson needs to be in there

Known as the "Roland Rocket", Gary Thompson came to Iowa State University from the small town of Roland, Iowa to become one of the Cyclones' first cage stars. A 5'10 guard, Thompson was the first Iowa State player to score more than 1,000 points and the first player in school history to tally 40 points in a game. As a senior in 1956–57, Thompson earned consensus second team All-American honors, first team All-America status from the Associated Press, and was named Big Seven Conference player of the year, beating out Kansas star Wilt Chamberlain. Thompson excelled in a second sport as well, leading Iowa State to the 1957 College World Series as a star shortstop.[1]

I have to imagine this season has been pretty hard for Gary to witness.

• Sad
Reactions: NENick

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
the 3 point line was instituted the year after he graduated. Elmer was the only guy on that 86-87 team that was a threat. Thompkins worked his ass off and made himself a 3pt threat the next year

Yeah, if you look back at his game winning shot against Miami (Ohio), that would have been a three if there had been a line

Reactions: Cat Stevens

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006

I have not followed this kid at all, and have no idea if he'd be a take,, but love the question at the end if this interview.

Q: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

A: Hopefully playing at Iowa State.

From the article:
Q: "Do you have a dream school?"
MF:
I guess I would say Iowa State, but I think second would be Kentucky or Duke. As long as I’m playing that’s good, if I get to that next level that’s fine by me.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I remember they had hornacek come out to Johnny Orr’s basketball camp and he was messing around shooting half court shots on the courts at lied. He was draining them, rarely missed.