JJ Bass Video

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
The thing that impresses me most is his running back intelligence. I really like how he followed his blockers to gain that extra yard and how he had enough patience to allow things to happen, which is something our RB's have been lacking recently.

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
I was disappointed to see the ball pop out 4 times on the video. Not sure how good the defenses were, but it he was able to turn the corner.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
his stats in 2006 were as follows

Rushing
196 Carries- 1159 Yards- 13 TD 5 100+ rushing yard games

Recieving
20 receptions- 222 Yards- 2 TD

Turnovers

4 fumbles/ 3 Lost.... (not too bad) Had 2 in one game

1381 all purpose yards

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
He runs the corners and dies not juke like Stevie. He does not run up the middle much. Glad to see he can catch the ball.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
The staff does not want tanner because they feel they have some better players than Tanner. He looks good on tape but who is really after him besides us. Looks like Utah might get him. No offense to Utah but who are they? If we were beating out a Michigan State for him and we did not want him I would think something is up. Maybe attitude or something.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
The staff does not want tanner because they feel they have some better players than Tanner. He looks good on tape but who is really after him besides us. Looks like Utah might get him. No offense to Utah but who are they? If we were beating out a Michigan State for him and we did not want him I would think something is up. Maybe attitude or something.

I don't mean to bash you... or stick up for Utah really, but didn't they finish the season in like 6th place when alex smith was there. I also remember him being a heisman finalist. I think I would take that.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com

Ever since Urban Meyer left, they haven't been quite the same...

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
He does not run up the middle much.

I only watched the first three minutes, but I only saw one run up the middle and it was on a draw. This will need to change in the Big 12 when he will not be able to beat everyone to the corner.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

I'm not that impressed by his highlite tape. The 1st thing that jumps out is size - he appears much smaller than his listed ht & wt. The other key issue is he doesn't play very physical. On a highlite tape, you expect to see lots of crushing hits where the WR or RB gets knocked backwards and the ball goes flying. On most of his hits, he avoids direct frontal contact. He usually drags the guy down from behind while giving up extra yardage. The new staff expects the secondary to be much more involved in run support so I don't see him being a good fit.

As far as pass coverage, he played way too soft in 05 with some improvement in 06. At the same time, the QB play in the tapes was very suspect. Most of the picks were on wounded ducks that were simply put up for grab. Don't get fooled by highlite tapes. Remember that coaches evaluate recruits by watching actual game tapes which also expose weaknesses and blown plays.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
This was 2 years ago. I would like to think he has improved since his first year at a juco.

There was an earlier link to Tanner's 05 tape that included lots of 10 yd cushion coverage. As I said above, the 06 tape shows some improvement in that regard. The size & physical play issues still raise a red flag. I'm with Chizik all the way on this one.

billdo00

Apr 13, 2006
Sorry I thought you were talking about Bass still. I agree I think we're better off without him. Enter...Bell.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
also, damilyn is 5'11"...it looks like the db's we are bringing in are a bit taller. GC may have decided we have enough short dbacks.

Most ht & wt listings are a stretch. I think that it was Matt Word who went from a 6-3 recruit to a 5-11 player. Tanner's case might not be that bad, but on tape it looks like he would have trouble topping 5-9 and 160.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
he looks like more of a straight line runner, rather than a shifty one. That's not bad, but it means that our o-line is going to need to open up holes for him. What we really need is a good, broken play runner, who can create for himself when the holes aren't there. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have him on roster, and I think he'll do fine, but I was hoping for a shiftier runner. maybe his style has changed since those tapes were made.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
Yes, everyone take into account that this is his first year in JUCO ball, he has probably improved in size and talent since then. When i talked to Damilyn he said he was actually about 175-180.. Id like to have both of the guys but im excited for JJ.. they just recently added Damilyns 2006 video.. so i expect JJs 06 video to be up soon.

Help Support Us

Become a patron