Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

Spam

May 21, 2008
Exactly....historically, Pollard's negotiations with coaches have taken place around kitchen tables, not in public restaurants

• Agree
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I just saw it then got on here and saw a bunch of the talk being about TJ. so was more or less wondering what was going on.
To answer your question, it’s because a reporter asked TJ his thoughts on the ISU job and he responded with “I don’t have any comment on that.”

• Informative
Reactions: motorcy90

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
To be fair Sig, You usually have about 5 graphs from Bartvic(?) KenPom etc.... to back up most of your thoughts. But really this yr we're just bad :( so there is no reason to.

Yeah, I didn't even do a computer rankings/projections thread this year. There was no point in it.

As to the broader point, to use some Rush lyrics, replace "maples" with "defense" and "oaks" with "offense."

"So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights
'The oaks are just too greedy
We will make them give us light'
Now there's no more oak oppression
For they passed a noble law
And the trees are all kept equal

By hatchet, axe, and saw"

It is easier to bring everybody down to the same level than it is to build everybody up.

All it took for our defense to be better than our offense was, as you said, the worst offense in school history.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
NU is 40 in Kenpom defense.

His style is to force the opponent into a bad shot chart.

The question on Hoiball defense was whether it would become good enough to win a title, not whether it was bad. Only Morgan in 2004-05 and LE in 1999-2000 had defenses tangibly better. Which is impressive given how good his offenses were.

I’d be thrilled to have top-60 defenses with top-10 or top-20 offense again, with a down year being top 125 defense
His "defense" has given up the most points per game in the Big Ten, scoring margin is last by a mile - over 10 pts/game, and his rebounding margin in next to last in the conference.
That's all about effort.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
Anybody see TJs recruiting class for 2021? Two top 50 recruits. UNLV would probably be a favorite to win the MW next year if we don’t hire him.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
His "defense" has given up the most points per game in the Big Ten, scoring margin is last by a mile - over 10 pts/game, and his rebounding margin in next to last in the conference.
That's all about effort.
Points per game is meaningless without being adjusted for tempo.
The scoring margin is due to their offense.

I know it doesn’t fit the narrative, but Hoiball has good (enough) defense.

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
No one is doubting that he’s a fantastic recruiter
Yeah I know. Was just thinking perception of him might change if that’s what would happen. I for one think that I’d rather have Craig Smith or Dennis Gates first but I think TJ would be a solid option because you know what types of players he’d be able to get.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Well, UNLV is up 30 in their opening round game, looks like he’ll be coaching at least thru tomorrow:)

Just beat the mighty Falcons of Air Force (5-20) for the third time. So if we include this as a conference win that would be 9. And of those 9....7 were against teams with combined conference records of 8-46, and overall records of 16-51. Maybe he can get Utah State tomorrow. He did it once this year, so that would be 2 good wins. I imagine if he really gets lucky and they win the conference tourney there will be virtual ticker tape parades on Cyclonefanatic. Which would be odd considering I have been told countless times the last three seasons that things like getting hot during a weekend conference tourney really don't mean much.

Reactions: jsb

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Points per game is meaningless without being adjusted for tempo.
The scoring margin is due to their offense.

I know it doesn’t fit the narrative, but Hoiball has good (enough) defense.

agree, adjusted the defenses were not that bad. And Fred sacrificed some matchups defensively in order to have favorable offensive matchups. That’s the deal to let a talent like George’s create. He can’t guard the KU big man, but the KU big man can’t guard him either... and we will run him off the floor eventually. Then you throw Babb on their best guy and it works, people forget Babb was maybe the best defender we ever had here.

Jul 26, 2020
I've been watching this thread for weeks and just want to add my two cents. I don't think it's going to be Freddie; you can't catch lightning in a bottle twice. I like both DeVries and Ben Jacobson. Why? Both love the state and could recruit top Iowa talent. Don't underestimate the cohesive value of recruiting Iowa talent. Our top AAU programs do VERY WELL in national tournaments. Check out the rosters at UNI and Iowa. LOADED with Iowa talent. Of course, you won't win national championships with only Iowa kids, BUT you will have solid team cores with young men who LOVE their state and school and will STAY FOUR YEARS. Say what you will about Fran, he recruits and plays Iowa talent. Jacobson as well. UNI was down this year but Jacobson's run there has been excellent. `Iowa high school basketball is better than many realize. Year in and year out, ISU has failed in recruiting the top Iowa talent. I believe both the aforementioned coaches would succeed in Ames. After those two, I like Bryce Drew. Yes, he failed at Vanderbilt, but he is a bright ambitious basketball lifer.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I've been watching this thread for weeks and just want to add my two cents. I don't think it's going to be Freddie; you can't catch lightning in a bottle twice. I like both DeVries and Ben Jacobson. Why? Both love the state and could recruit top Iowa talent. Don't underestimate the cohesive value of recruiting Iowa talent. Our top AAU programs do VERY WELL in national tournaments. Check out the rosters at UNI and Iowa. LOADED with Iowa talent. Of course, you won't win national championships with only Iowa kids, BUT you will have solid team cores with young men who LOVE their state and school and will STAY FOUR YEARS. Say what you will about Fran, he recruits and plays Iowa talent. Jacobson as well. UNI was down this year but Jacobson's run there has been excellent. `Iowa high school basketball is better than many realize. Year in and year out, ISU has failed in recruiting the top Iowa talent. I believe both the aforementioned coaches would succeed in Ames. After those two, I like Bryce Drew. Yes, he failed at Vanderbilt, but he is a bright ambitious basketball lifer.

What top Iowa talent?

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron