SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Harden
Beal
Booker
Mitchell
McCollum
I don’t count Paul George as an sg FYI. I know he’s playing sg for clippers, but I think he’s more of a three and it’s just situational.

Don’t forget about Jaylen Brown. Dude is straight balling right now. Has to be up there. Playing better than Booker or Mitchell this year for sure so far.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I think he is more of an sf, but if we’re considering him at sg he’s definitely 2 or 3.

Considering Tatum plays SF for them I would put him at SG. He can play and guard small forwards absolutely but he is pretty much a shooting guard on that team and around the league. Honestly the definitions for 2-4 are getting a little blurry. Lebron is a prototypical SF but he has been more point recently than anything. He can also classify as a PF if need be.

Cycl0nepower

Apr 4, 2020
Ohio
Considering Tatum plays SF for them I would put him at SG. He can play and guard small forwards absolutely but he is pretty much a shooting guard on that team and around the league. Honestly the definitions for 2-4 are getting a little blurry. Lebron is a prototypical SF but he has been more point recently than anything. He can also classify as a PF if need be.
Nba teams love positonless players nowadays. About 5 or 6 years ago those type of players who didn’t fit a specific position were called tweeners, who were borderline Nba prospects. The game has changed a lot.

Reactions: Peter

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Nba teams love positonless players nowadays. About 5 or 6 years ago those type of players who didn’t fit a specific position were called tweeners, who were borderline Nba prospects. The game has changed a lot.

It really has and I love it. Rigid positions make zero sense to me. Ben Simmons is a point guard who happens to be 6’11”. Find guys who can play ball and figure it out from there.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycl0nepower

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Speaking of versatile players, there are a bunch that used to play in Ames, Iowa that were in action last night. Some nice surprises this AM while scrolling through the box score.

Talen Horton-Tucker got a lot of quality minutes in the Lakers' win in his hometown. Good to see THT back on the court; I notice he didn't chuck any 3's, where he's been struggling to hit a good percentage: 21 MIN, 10 PT, 3-6 FG, 0-0 3PT, 4-4 FT, 2 REB, 1 STL, 2 TO and +3.

This time it took TWO overtimes for Denver (9-7) to get past the Suns (8-7) and Abdel Nader had some (really) good in his line - the minutes - and some not-so-good looking. Still, if M. Williams played him this much, he must have liked something in his play such as match-ups against the Nuggets small-ball lineups (and some injuries). Dooley's line: 30 MIN, 6 PT, 2-7 FG, 1-2 3PT, 1-3 FT, 4 REB, 2 AST, 0 TO and -21.

Monte was his usual productive and consistent self in the win over Phoenix: 36 MIN, 13 PT, 5-12 FG, 3-5 3PT, 4 REB, 1 AST, 1 BLK, 1 TO and +13 (Yes, he just had the same number of blocks and turnovers as assists).

Georges had another game with a lot of turnovers and fouls though this time he wasn't guarding Zion Williamson. The Jazz crushed Golden State in the first half and held on for a big win. His line: 18 MIN, 7 PT, 3-7 FG, 1-2 3PT, 4 REB, 1 STL, 4 TO, 4 PF and -13.

I don't know enough to argue cause and effect but the Jazz have won 8 in a row and it roughly corresponds with an increase in Georges' playing time. He has his scoring average up to 4.6, much closer to the 6 that he had last year.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
This is a good read on Matt Thomas' situation and whether the "experiment" with him is over. Ultimately, Stanley Johnson won the rotation spot with his defense https://www.raptorshq.com/2021/1/21...-thomas-experiment-dnp-cd-nick-nurse-rotation

Matty Ice got in for almost a minute tonight vs. the Pacers, at the end of the 3rd quarter (due to his teammates fouling shooters, he ended with a -6). The game before, he was in for under a minute at the end of the 2nd quarter; not sure if that was due to someone's foul trouble or if they wanted a shooter in. Not exactly rotation minutes for the Ice Man.

After winning the last 2, the Raptors are getting up close to .500, at 7-9.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I bet Thomas is on another team next year - too bad. Nurse just threw in the towel on him - never seen anything like it. His defense isn't perfect, but Matt has been the fall guy. Hopefully he can get another nba contract on another team.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I bet Thomas is on another team next year - too bad. Nurse just threw in the towel on him - never seen anything like it. His defense isn't perfect, but Matt has been the fall guy. Hopefully he can get another nba contract on another team.

I genuinely think he looks the part for scoring off the bench. It wasn't a fluke when he torched the summer league for the Lakers.

I wouldn't have thought it either, where plenty of our other guys like Monte, Nader, Shayok, BDJ, Hali, etc I could see an NBA player right away as someone who doesn't really watch college ball outside of ISU. I think Matt can really play at this level for a while barring injury.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Georges had another game with a lot of turnovers and fouls though this time he wasn't guarding Zion Williamson. The Jazz crushed Golden State in the first half and held on for a big win. His line: 18 MIN, 7 PT, 3-7 FG, 1-2 3PT, 4 REB, 1 STL, 4 TO, 4 PF and -13.

I don't know enough to argue cause and effect but the Jazz have won 8 in a row and it roughly corresponds with an increase in Georges' playing time. He has his scoring average up to 4.6, much closer to the 6 that he had last year.

Georges had a stretch of really efficient games before this one. Think he just started year with a bit of a slump.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
siap, nice write-up on THT and his contract potential of $82 million.

That's an interesting read. Since he'll only have 2 years in the league, THT getting a big payday wasn't even on my radar. The Lakers have some tough decisions to make with so much money tied up in their stars. He'll probably end the season largely unproved since his minutes will be limited so he'll need to find a team willing to gamble on his potential, if he doesn't re-sign with LA.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Short write-up on Georges' surge in scoring lately - says that he's not just scoring as a shooter anymore but is doing more playmaking and creating:

Also, I was bored at breakfast and looked up total points scored by our 6 guys so far this season. These are the totals: Monte - 188, Tyrese - 160, THT - 99, Georges - 73, Matt - 26, and Abdel - 22.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron