I want a young coordinator!!!

2tonewilly69

Aug 16, 2006
There have been several posts asking for young energetic coordinators, and I can not agree more. I'm not sold on a guy that has had great stats at a major power such as Auburn or Texas. Those programs have the best talent and it's just a matter not screwing it up(like the Yankees). I would love to hire someone from a mid-major that has had great success with far less talent.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Don't disagree. It's a crap shoot with whoever we hire though so might as well support it until there is reason not to.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I would rather have both coordinators of the 2004 Auburn Tigers.

Auburn has talent.. but its not like they weren't playing against any. Its all relative, good sir.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
I would love to hire someone from a mid-major that has had great success with far less talent.
Ideally, I want someone who has succeeded in a major conference, with less talent, not just someone who has succeeded with less talent throughout the whole conference.

Also, there is so much more to the game than just the level of talent you have on the field. Look at Notre Dame...top level talent, .500 record.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Wow, since when did Auburn become a "powerhouse"? Al Borges would be great. Auburn was winning 9+ games a year with Brandon Cox at QB. He'd love Austen Arnaud, you know, someone with talent.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It is a gamble to hire a young guy at this point. If this hire doesnt pan out Chizik is problay done at ISU. He needs someone with a OC resume. He had huge issues with the playcalling and slowness getting plays in, he wants someone who has proven they can do those things.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
It is a gamble to hire a young guy at this point. If this hire doesnt pan out Chizik is problay done at ISU. He needs someone with a OC resume. He had huge issues with the playcalling and slowness getting plays in, he wants someone who has proven they can do those things.

Totally agree. Chizik can't afford to take chances on some unproven, young buck. Should he have done that two years ago? Maybe but at this point we need a guy who's been there, done that.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
There have been several posts asking for young energetic coordinators, and I can not agree more. I'm not sold on a guy that has had great stats at a major power such as Auburn or Texas. Those programs have the best talent and it's just a matter not screwing it up(like the Yankees). I would love to hire someone from a mid-major that has had great success with far less talent.

No one cares what you want, unless you're Gene Chizik

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Wow, since when did Auburn become a "powerhouse"? Al Borges would be great. Auburn was winning 9+ games a year with Brandon Cox at QB. He'd love Austen Arnaud, you know, someone with talent.

Great point. ISU seems to have pretty good talent on the offensive side of the ball. If Borges can bring in a little more creativity, that could help us in the redzone. I'm tired of seeing our kicker among the Top 10 in the nation in FG attempts. We need to score touchdowns to win in the Big 12.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA

Something that you're not looking at is that the OC will have a hand at recruiting. You want someone who will call plays that fit the talent we have, but you also need someone with recruiting ties to get good talent.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I wish I was taller.

I wish I was a baller.

SkeeLo.jpg

clonefan_80

May 28, 2007
Ames
Jimmy was here once with Johnny Majors

I'm sure he's itching to get back to good ole Ames then :wink:

I think Borges would be a perfect hire for OC. We can take a young flier on an up and coming DC, especially if Chizik basically takes over that role.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

You seem like, what...10? Maybe 12? Why not apply...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I hope we get one soon. It will take a lot of work to coordinate, recruit, and plan for sopring ball

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
I want Jimmy Johnson as our offensive coordinator.

Jimmy probably still has nightmares about how the cold Iowa wind messed up his hair on gamedays. Some people think he was happiest in Dallas because of the Super Bowls - I think it was because he pretty much played indoors at home and didn't have to worry about his precisely parted hair-do getting messed up. :wink:

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
Wow, way to be mature about the comment.

Totallybeat me to it, that was the first thing I thought of when I read that as well.

"I wish I had a girl who looked good and I call her", or something like that.

Count me in--

"I wish I had a rabbit in a hat and a 6-4 Impala".

First thing I thought of.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron