If we go winless in the conference, does Prohm get fired?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I disagree. Do people care more if we go 2-16 or 0-18? I don't think it makes a difference.
I wouldn't be shocked if he lost his job at 2-16 either. ..I'm just simply saying we won't go 0-18 but if we did he wouldn't keep his job. These next few years Jamie is going to have to get every dollar out of the budget he can get so he can hand it over to Campbell. It would take him a phone call or two to come up with the buyout money if he wanted it. Saving the buyout money does no good if the fall in revenue outpaces it. There are donors who don't really give a lick about football but pour money in for MBB.

At this point, you know what you have with Prohm. If the team looks as much like trash in March like they do now, Jamie's hand will be forced. If we start 1-9 and end up 6-12 there's an argument to be made they got better.

This isn't Jamie's decision to make...it's the fund providers of the AD.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't see it that way. KSU doesn't have anyone that can get to the rack and finish like Bolton. It's on Prohm to figure out how to exploit that. I could do that for every player - they have strengths, but you can't see it in this "system".

I really believe Huggy would win 7-9 games with this squad. OK, maybe that's high, but they'd be playing much better/effective basketball.
Something is off with Prohm, and it's not just x's and o's stuff, offense/defense/rebounding flaws etc. It is between the ears of the players. We have seen it for years now. They don't play with intensity or urgency. They aren't hustling after 50/50 balls or skying for rebounds. King McClure said it best last night, a Scott Drew player so it makes sense, something along the lines of K-State was winning/won because they wanted it more. Prohm teams never seem to "want it" more than the other guys. Sometimes they can win just off of sheer talent, see the 18-19 team, but more often than not, this team comes off as lazy or disinterested. That is something you never see from Drew, Huggy, or Bruce Weber teams. Those teams might not always be the most talented, but you are always seeing 110% effort and will-to-win from them. Maybe effort can't be coached, but it's on Prohm to bring in players that want to put in a little. We have too many guys who like to wine and complain and just seem to be overall head cases when things aren't going their way.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I guess that with 17 more conference games, and the pending first round loss in the Big 12 tournament, that we could lose 20 this year.
That assumes no games cancelled due to COVID, and winning 0-1 conference games.
I'll still assume wins over Jackson State and Chicago State, but nothing's out of the question.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
Watching the KSU game it is impossible to imagine that a good coach would watch that game and not make some kind of adjustment at least on O. You can’t live at the perimeter unless you are a great 3 point shooting team. It seems way too obvious.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I guess that with 17 more conference games, and the pending first round loss in the Big 12 tournament, that we could lose 20 this year.
That assumes no games cancelled due to COVID, and winning 0-1 conference games.
I'll still assume wins over Jackson State and Chicago State, but nothing's out of the question.

18 more Big 12 loses and a loss to Miss State. It's not only possible, I'd say it's likely.

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016
I don't see it that way. KSU doesn't have anyone that can get to the rack and finish like Bolton. It's on Prohm to figure out how to exploit that. I could do that for every player - they have strengths, but you can't see it in this "system".

I really believe Huggy would win 7-9 games with this squad. OK, maybe that's high, but they'd be playing much better/effective basketball.
Totally agree! Buggy, of whom I am not a fan, is not a one dimensional coach, he coaches the talent he has, not the talent he would like to have.
When Xavier Foster figures out Prohm can not develop his big game he will go elsewhere. Then, Prohm might get fired.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
How do we buyout CSP when the athletic department is $30M in the red before we extend and increase payroll to the football staff?

it's a sunk cost, you can't think about that. What he will think about is can he get people do come to games next year.

Everyone said the same things with Todd Lickliter. You can only tolerate the smell of rotting carcass for so long. As someone said earlier in this thread, if this doesn't get better the decision will be made for him.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Prohm is not going to be here long-term - we all know that.

I actually like the idea of waiting a year.

Avoid the covid issues around payouts in the next few months, and let football take the spotlight next year.

Then, instead of a scramble hire in June like when Hoiberg left, JP gets an entire year to re-evaluate and get his potential hires ready to go.

TJ will be in year 3 in vegas, can he improve? Maybe Hoiberg realizes its not going to happen in Lincoln. Maybe Prohm can't take getting is butt kicked every night and decides to move to the South.

And there's still the slim, slim change that Foster, Hinson, Hunter + this year's frosh...gives Prohm a Hail Mary season.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CyBobby

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Something is off with Prohm, and it's not just x's and o's stuff, offense/defense/rebounding flaws etc. It is between the ears of the players. We have seen it for years now. They don't play with intensity or urgency. They aren't hustling after 50/50 balls or skying for rebounds. King McClure said it best last night, a Scott Drew player so it makes sense, something along the lines of K-State was winning/won because they wanted it more. Prohm teams never seem to "want it" more than the other guys. Sometimes they can win just off of sheer talent, see the 18-19 team, but more often than not, this team comes off as lazy or disinterested. That is something you never see from Drew, Huggy, or Bruce Weber teams. Those teams might not always be the most talented, but you are always seeing 110% effort and will-to-win from them. Maybe effort can't be coached, but it's on Prohm to bring in players that want to put in a little. We have too many guys who like to wine and complain and just seem to be overall head cases when things aren't going their way.

His teams just don’t play hard. They think they are, but compared to where you need to play...they just aren’t. Fundamentally, Steve’s players don’t understand how hard you have to play at this level.

But that is only one problem.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
His teams just don’t play hard. They think they are, but compared to where you need to play...they just aren’t. Fundamentally, Steve’s players don’t understand how hard you have to play at this level.

But that is only one problem.

Also, it’s pretty telling there’s no team chemistry or passion- nothing after made free throws or pulling guys up when they’re on the floor. Kinda sad really.

Last edited:

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think there are guys trying hard but when you are putting forth effort in the wrong ways it doesn't matter. Example, if you are going for steals you can't get or overhelping off of shooters, you may be trying hard but it is hurting the team. You also have to know what the hell you are doing out there. I think a lot of times Prohm has guys playing hard but they have no direction/look lost.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
If they go winless in the conference he won’t be back.

I honestly think Prohm would walk away if they didn't win a conference game. Not sure he is the right guy, but I don't think he is really happy about what is going on either.

Not sure what they are doing in practice, but the last few years everyone with a decent shot has just gotten worse. The outside shooting for this team is awful, and it is not like they are not getting open shots.