If we go winless in the conference, does Prohm get fired?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I know I've said this before but he got this job based on a low major job where he was left 2 NBA guards, an absolute unicorn at that level.

The difference between the OVC level and the A10, Valley, Mountain West level and the P6 is massive (see McDermott, Greg) and the gap between the OVC/low major level and the A10, Valley, Mountain West level is huge as well. Prohm hit the jackpot and cashed in and there was no way he was ready or anywhere near capable of sustaining success at the P6 level. Would have been much better off with a P6 assistant who had at least coached and recruited at that level.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I know I've said this before but he got this job based on a low major job where he was left 2 NBA guards, an absolute unicorn at that level.

The difference between the OVC level and the A10, Valley, Mountain West level and the P6 is massive (see McDermott, Greg) and the gap between the OVC/low major level and the A10, Valley, Mountain West level is huge as well. Prohm hit the jackpot and cashed in and there was no way he was ready or anywhere near capable of sustaining success at the P6 level. Would have been much better off with a P6 assistant who had at least coached and recruited at that level.

We knew a guy.

CycloneGourd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2020

Like Otzelberger perhaps?

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
It was weird to me that JP really took a chance on Fred but then bowed to the “MUST HAVE SOMEONE WITH HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE” crowd when it came to the Prohm hire.

Pssst, (whispers) because Pollard was told he was hiring Prohm and not TJ.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
He does himself a favor by getting paid and set up for a lifetime.

That said, everyone, don't some places do these buyouts on a payment schedule rather than all up front?
Pollard's supposed to be good with numbers. Have him find a way.

Give him 10k in EE bonds. May not seem like much now...but just you wait, buddy boy.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Stanz and Fitz podcast is dead on.....we got guys and coaches that simply are not playing hard enough, and it has been that way for several years now.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Between COVID and Hunter coming in next year, he'll get another year.

A new coach will bring in a new type of player. As much as I hope Hunter pans out, you can't sacrafice your team/program for one player. If it's time to go it's time to go. I do agree COVID buys another year to show some type of glmmer of hope. But right now a good question to ask coach would be:

1. Coach can we agree were not going to win a road game this year?

2. Who will we be favored over and win the game.

3. Whats the over under on conference wins this year (3) or (2)?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Stanz and Fitz podcast is dead on.....we got guys and coaches that simply are not playing hard enough, and it has been that way for several years now.

Thats a subjective metric. To me it looks like everyone is out there thinking instead of playing. Which can create the illusion of “not trying hard”. It was good to see a lob dunk last night, that’s a sign of just playing the game for me.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Pssst, (whispers) because Pollard was told he was hiring Prohm and not TJ.

Was it this, or that he couldn't hire TJ because he'd never been a head coach and expectations needed to be higher for that team coming back than a former assistant? That's was the context as I remember it.

The equation will be different this time around.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Thats a subjective metric. To me it looks like everyone is out there thinking instead of playing. Which can create the illusion of “not trying hard”. It was good to see a lob dunk last night, that’s a sign of just playing the game for me.

Hoiberg gets tons of credit for his coaching. But those teams had the mental aspect of the game down. Ejim, Kane, Naz, Georges, Monte...all heady players for whom the game never seemed to be going too fast, even as youngsters. You can develop that in players but it has to be there.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Was it this, or that he couldn't hire TJ because he'd never been a head coach and expectations needed to be higher for that team coming back than a former assistant? That's was the context as I remember it.

The equation will be different this time around.

Similar thoughts. Our basketball program was on a completely different level in 2015, compared to our current environment. It appeared JP wanted someone with HC experience so as to not sink the program, or at least to maintain our trajectory (not a learn-on-the-job type scenario).

I think our current situation is exactly what we were trying to avoid. Although, every program tries to avoid our current situation. I would imagine our HC candidate pool has widened from the 2015 search.

kccyclone3

May 16, 2015
With a lineup of Harris, Hunter, Dubar/Blackwell, Foster, Johnson, Hinson, AND the buyout you would think that Steve will get another crack at it. Not saying it's right, but just seems like reality.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I disagree somewhat regarding effort. True, at times it doesn't seem to be there, but I see plenty of scrapping and "trying," I think what I notice more is lack of confidence plus a low degree of sharpness. How many times have we gotten a traveling call when a player is about to drive, then hesitates, but he didn't stop himself in time. Or two players in position for a rebound, nearly side-by-side, both kind of go for it, but neither secures it, then it either goes out of bounds or ball finds its way into opponent's hands for easy lay-in. (We have block-out issues, too, but this is somewhat separate from that).

Those types of things seem more glaring than pure lack of work ethic.

(I'm sure some of these deficiencies intertwine.)

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I disagree somewhat regarding effort. True, at times it doesn't seem to be there, but I see plenty of scrapping and "trying," I think what I notice more is lack of confidence plus a low degree of sharpness. How many times have we gotten a traveling call when a player is about to drive, then hesitates, but he didn't stop himself in time. Or two players in position for a rebound, nearly side-by-side, both kind of go for it, but neither secures it, then it either goes out of bounds or ball finds its way into opponent's hands for easy lay-in. (We have block-out issues, too, but this is somewhat separate from that).

Those types of things seem more glaring than pure lack of work ethic.

(I'm sure some of these deficiencies intertwine.)
A guy may try to help out and leave a 3 point shooter wide open. He may be showing effort, but he's not playing smart and following the scouting report and gives the other team an easy 3 points.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
With a lineup of Harris, Hunter, Dubar/Blackwell, Foster, Johnson, Hinson, AND the buyout you would think that Steve will get another crack at it. Not saying it's right, but just seems like reality.

No one really believes he'll be fired this year do they?

Reactions: CyBobby