Smoking with CW: Tips from Smokey D on the pork loin

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I’ve just finished curing 10 lbs of porkloin and currently it is on the smoker. Temp is set at 170 should be done in about 3-4 hours. Hopefully I get some tasty Maple Brown Sugar Canadian Bacon.

9D9B37E2-AD1E-4DDD-A288-F6F0036138EF.jpeg

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
One trick to a good pork loin is red in color (not pink), firm and very little water in the bag. Do not cook over 140, by the time you cut it it will be 145. They do not grade pork like they do beef, you need to pick good ones yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
One trick to a good pork loin is red in color (not pink), firm and very little water in the bag. Do not cook over 140, by the time you cut it it will be 145. They do not grade pork like they do beef, you need to pick good ones yourself.

Love smoking pork loin (wish my family liked it more as we would have it more often). Meat selection is key.......Most pre packaged / self serve pork cuts (butts, ribs, loins) come with ~10-12% saline solution already added to the meat (says so right on the package). Kind of a nefarious marketing / sales ploy......selling water at X.XX / lb. This is done for a lot of reasons and the main ones are it is more profitable, more forgiving, and convenient.

It's challenging, but try to find the pork that doesn't have the solution added. Look for places that sell "fresh pork". I would say Fareway, but it has been so long since I had "behind the counter" knowledge, that even they could have changed what they are selling.

Darren's advice on temp to pull is spot on for this and any real large chunk of meat that you are cooking. For Xmas, we do a rib roast and the temp will rise outside of the oven 10-15 degrees easily.

And for the love of all things holy, will someone get CW a more suitable knife to cut that loin? He's going to lose a finger! ;)

Reactions: algonacy

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Love smoking pork loin (wish my family liked it more as we would have it more often). Meat selection is key.......Most pre packaged / self serve pork cuts (butts, ribs, loins) come with ~10-12% saline solution already added to the meat (says so right on the package). Kind of a nefarious marketing / sales ploy......selling water at X.XX / lb. This is done for a lot of reasons and the main ones are it is more profitable, more forgiving, and convenient.

It's challenging, but try to find the pork that doesn't have the solution added. Look for places that sell "fresh pork". I would say Fareway, but it has been so long since I had "behind the counter" knowledge, that even they could have changed what they are selling.

Darren's advice on temp to pull is spot on for this and any real large chunk of meat that you are cooking. For Xmas, we do a rib roast and the temp will rise outside of the oven 10-15 degrees easily.

And for the love of all things holy, will someone get CW a more suitable knife to cut that loin? He's going to lose a finger! ;)
Fareway still has great loins with little/no solution, smoked at least 5 this summer.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
With larger cuts of meats I typically will inject a pork loin or pork butt with something like an apple juice/apple cider vinegar concoction to add some extra moisture and flavor too. Wrapping in foil near the end of the cook helps keep it nice and moist too IMO. The temp you pull it off is definitely key though. That is the biggest issue I get at home when I do a pork loin roast on the smoker is my wife would rather I burn the crap out of anything on the grill or smoker than to serve it with any little bit of pink which I think is just a waste of meat to do that. It's different when I am just cooking some chops or steaks on the grill because I can just cook mine on a cooler side to how I like mine and she can have hers well done but when it comes to a large cut like a roast I tell her if she doesn't like the doneness she can take her portion and cook the crap out of it in the microwave afterwards.

That 140 temp for a smoked pork loin is not a very forgiving temp if you let it get higher before pulling it off the heat. I'd rather not have to add a bunch of sauce to help moisten up a dry piece of pork. I like a good BBQ sauce but if you smoke your meats the proper way you shouldn't have to smother it in a bunch of sauce to have it taste good - the flavor of the meat should be able to stand out on its own and the sauce should compliment it either on the side or very lightly apply some prior to serving.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Oven roasted, but... you clearly have never eaten anything cooked by my grandmother.
There’s a variety of crappy food I have been fed and had to force down due to the cooking of my elders. I guess I missed out on that one.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
If I don't buy one that has water added, I inject with different mixtures. Blend onion and garlic with water and inject it.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
Also, I knew meat will still rise after you pull it but didn't think that it would carry over that many degrees. Will pay more attention to that next time! What wood/pellets did you use?

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
I just use these for everything I smoke/grill. Bacon, butts, brisket, burgers, brats, ribs, loin, chuck roasts, wings. whole chicken, turkey.

View attachment 77345

I have a vertical offset so I'm using charcoal and wood chunks. Finding that I'm not overly into hickory as it can tend to overpower the flavors of the rub and/or meat. I like pecan and cherry so far. This has been my first season of smoking. My smoker is also fairly thin metal so smoking in the winter probably wont happen unless I get a kick for a pork butt that I'll try to do but then once wrapped I'll bring it in to finish in the oven.

Reactions: cycloner29

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
What the hell are people doing smoking pork loin to 185 degrees?

One of the first I ever did, I put on, figured I had awhile so I went and picked rock for awhile and my smoker ran away on me and ran it up to 180. Thought I really ruined it. Pulled it and cut it and really it wasn't THAT bad. It wasn't great, but it wasn't what I thought.

If you can't get a pretty decent pork loin, give up on doing anything else. Doing meat just isn't your thing.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Oven roasted, but... you clearly have never eaten anything cooked by my grandmother.
For fear of trichinosis, the old grandmas would cook pork until it resembled shoe leather. Fortunately those days are gone.

Help Support Us

Become a patron