Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Have you ever been around a college football program at all? Coaches being ******** to players is the norm. Everywhere. That's not what this is at all. It's partly sad and partly hilarious that you are trying chalk this up as coaches being ********.
Brian Ferentz called an African American a "dumb *** black player". That's not being an *** hole that's being a racist

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
In what ways did Iowa discriminate against black players? Be specific.

This report above was an internal report done by the University of Iowa in 2018. This isn't even the one done by the outside investigative team.

This link has the full report done by Husch-Blackwell.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Clear your Fu***** schedule...
I can guarantee you this moron didn't even read the entire report. He read a couple of articles written about the report, watched / listened to Barta and Kirk give their press-conferences that were miserable, and then erased this entire thing from his memory.

If he read the report, he wouldn't have asked that question.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
Well that's just not true considering a 3 month investigation proved without a doubt that African American football players were indeed being treated differently than those who are white. That internal report lays the groundwork for these lawyers to be able to prove that these players were mistreated due to their race.

Also, do you really think Iowa would've run Doyle out of the program because he was an a**hole? He would've been gone years ago when he put a dozen players in the hospital. Nah. I don't buy that for a single second and neither do you, but your true "proud" to say otherwise.

Please point out where in the report it proves “without a doubt” that black players were being treated differently than white players.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Please point out where in the report it proves “without a doubt” that black players were being treated differently than white players.
I know you're not likely to read this but this took about 3 minutes to find within the report.

"There were strong disparities in witness perceptions of football program culture, especially with respect to race. Numerous players told investigators they chose to play at Iowa because of its reputation for being disciplined. Generally speaking, these players have no concerns with the football program’s culture. Multiple players and coaches said they have never seen or observed anything racially offensive. Two current White players conveyed to investigators that people have confused a “discipline culture” with a “racist culture.” In contrast, other players of various races expressed serious concerns about the racial climate. One former player explained: “Being an Iowa football player was a daily struggle for black players. We were punished for no apparent reason, singled out by coaches, and threatened and ridiculed every day. It is hard to explain how difficult it was. Think about being under pressure every day for 4 years solely because of your race. That is how it was for me and my black teammates."

"Echoing the sentiments of many current and former players, this coach explained that it is harder to be a Black player in the program because of the player “mold.” This sentiment is consistent with the views of the current and former players we interviewed who expressed an almost universal feeling that Black players do not feel supported within the program, even if they have not directly experienced negative treatment overtly based on race."

"Another player stated that the staff would not allow players to show their personalities, and he described that the coaches preferred the players to be “fake” rather than be themselves. That player recalled a coach telling the freshmen players that they needed to “get on a boat and sail away from their old lives” to be successful in the program."

"Acknowledging extra burdens for Black players, several players and staff alike referred to a saying about the program: "If you make it through the Iowa football program as a Black player, then you can do anything." One former player explained that it is difficult for people who have not been involved with a major football program to understand how Black players are treated. As he described, “I worked hard and helped our team win games. I finished as one of the top XXXs 2 in the program’s history, but every single day was a struggle. I felt bad about myself as did many of my Black teammates. We wanted badly to be successful and to help our team and took the abuse to achieve team goals.”

"Several players, both current and former, also shared their belief that the coaching staff is not as welcoming or friendly to Black players as to their White teammates. According to the players, coaches “only become friendly with the Black players when they are contributing to the team” or if the Black player is a “superstar.” One current player, who is White, told investigators he feels supported by the whole staff, yet he acknowledged that his experience has been different than his Black teammates."

"Finally, one former player said the culture is one where it is acceptable to demean people due to disability or race. According to several players, issues within the culture were “not just a Chris Doyle problem.” Those players said the culture problems are systemic and cannot be fixed simply by getting rid of one coach. Several former players commented that Coach Doyle should not be a “scapegoat” for the systemic issues in the program."

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm and CyTwins

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
That was not the intention of the report, especially since Iowa hired them. Does show weakness of their position.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
I know you're not likely to read this but this took about 3 minutes to find within the report.

"There were strong disparities in witness perceptions of football program culture, especially with respect to race. Numerous players told investigators they chose to play at Iowa because of its reputation for being disciplined. Generally speaking, these players have no concerns with the football program’s culture. Multiple players and coaches said they have never seen or observed anything racially offensive. Two current White players conveyed to investigators that people have confused a “discipline culture” with a “racist culture.” In contrast, other players of various races expressed serious concerns about the racial climate. One former player explained: “Being an Iowa football player was a daily struggle for black players. We were punished for no apparent reason, singled out by coaches, and threatened and ridiculed every day. It is hard to explain how difficult it was. Think about being under pressure every day for 4 years solely because of your race. That is how it was for me and my black teammates."

"Echoing the sentiments of many current and former players, this coach explained that it is harder to be a Black player in the program because of the player “mold.” This sentiment is consistent with the views of the current and former players we interviewed who expressed an almost universal feeling that Black players do not feel supported within the program, even if they have not directly experienced negative treatment overtly based on race."

"Another player stated that the staff would not allow players to show their personalities, and he described that the coaches preferred the players to be “fake” rather than be themselves. That player recalled a coach telling the freshmen players that they needed to “get on a boat and sail away from their old lives” to be successful in the program."

"Acknowledging extra burdens for Black players, several players and staff alike referred to a saying about the program: "If you make it through the Iowa football program as a Black player, then you can do anything." One former player explained that it is difficult for people who have not been involved with a major football program to understand how Black players are treated. As he described, “I worked hard and helped our team win games. I finished as one of the top XXXs 2 in the program’s history, but every single day was a struggle. I felt bad about myself as did many of my Black teammates. We wanted badly to be successful and to help our team and took the abuse to achieve team goals.”

"Several players, both current and former, also shared their belief that the coaching staff is not as welcoming or friendly to Black players as to their White teammates. According to the players, coaches “only become friendly with the Black players when they are contributing to the team” or if the Black player is a “superstar.” One current player, who is White, told investigators he feels supported by the whole staff, yet he acknowledged that his experience has been different than his Black teammates."

"Finally, one former player said the culture is one where it is acceptable to demean people due to disability or race. According to several players, issues within the culture were “not just a Chris Doyle problem.” Those players said the culture problems are systemic and cannot be fixed simply by getting rid of one coach. Several former players commented that Coach Doyle should not be a “scapegoat” for the systemic issues in the program."

All you have quoted are paragraphs showing a general agreement that Iowa’s culture was more difficult to adapt to for black players (which is not discrimination), and unsubstantiated claims from various players that they perceived a difference in treatment based on race. Please point out specifically where in the report that Husch Blackwell confirmed, as a matter of fact, that black players were treated differently from white players.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Brian Ferentz called an African American a "dumb *** black player". That's not being an *** hole that's being a racist
Maybe said better - how many times did he call someone "a dumb white player?"

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
All you have quoted are paragraphs showing a general agreement that Iowa’s culture was more difficult to adapt to for black players (which is not discrimination), and unsubstantiated claims from various players that they perceived a difference in treatment based on race. Please point out specifically where in the report that Husch Blackwell confirmed, as a matter of fact, that black players were treated differently from white players.
1603131359133.png

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Maybe, just maybe, the "Iowa Culture" is actually discriminatory and that's why these black players found it more difficult to adapt to it? And Husch Blackwell's job was to report their findings, not to report their opinion. They gave back detailed accounts of former players and coaches AND they didn't even interview any of the people that are now suing Iowa! So what does that tell you?

Also, there were 70+ allegations out there describing this awful culture. You're telling me that 70+ players are lying about all of this?

You're off the rails buddy.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
Maybe, just maybe, the "Iowa Culture" is actually discriminatory and that's why these black players found it more difficult to adapt to it? And Husch Blackwell's job was to report their findings, not to report their opinion. They gave back detailed accounts of former players and coaches AND they didn't even interview any of the people that are now suing Iowa! So what does that tell you?

Also, there were 70+ allegations out there describing this awful culture. You're telling me that 70+ players are lying about all of this?

You're off the rails buddy.

You claimed that the report proved, without a doubt, that Iowa treated black players different than white players. That’s simply not true.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You claimed that the report proved, without a doubt, that Iowa treated black players different than white players. That’s simply not true.

Husch Blackwell report: Iowa football 'perpetuated racial biases'

Husch Blackwell report: Hawkeye football program 'perpetuated racial biases, over-monitored players'; read full report

Iowa football review: Program's 'Iowa Way' left Black players feeling 'isolated, targeted, and unwelcome'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron