Big 12 Defenses

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yeah there are lots of SOS metrics out there and obviously no metric is complete until all the data is in. If you actually look at the differing SOS metrics they are all over the board, and it really shows that none of them by themselves are any good. I like looking at a combination of them all, but even then it is like who really cares (outside of ISU fans that is).

Heck even when Sagarin says ISU SOS is #5 and Iowa's was #30 like last year they still also said ISU wins 7 games playing Iowa schedule and Iowa wins 10 playing ISU schedule. So if a 25 spot swing in their SOS ranking in essences means +/- 0 total wins and losses it shows you that these things are so razor close anyway that it is insignificant.
This is not accurate. Sagarin had Iowa State winning 1 more game with Iowa's schedule than with their own

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Someone find the stat posted about Iowa playing B10 East teams - they only won like 38% of those games since 2010. Could you imagine how different their narrative would be if they were actually forced to play the good teams in the conference every year?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Someone find the stat posted about Iowa playing B10 East teams - they only won like 38% of those games since 2010. Could you imagine how different their narrative would be if they were actually forced to play the good teams in the conference every year?
I think you're thinking of just games against MSU, PSU, Michigan and OSU. 38% win percentage against those schools (8-13, 4 wins coming against Michigan!)

Overall though, they're 17-15 (53%) in the Big 10 when adding in Maryland, Indiana and Rutgers.

Since 2010
MSU: 2-4
PSU: 1-5
OSU: 1-2
MI: 4-2
MD: 2-1
IU: 5-1
RU: 2-0

• Informative
Reactions: ClonesFTW

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
This is not accurate. Sagarin had Iowa State winning 1 more game with Iowa's schedule than with their own

According to Sagarin ISU loses to Penn St., Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota and USC. 6 losses.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So hold on you are saying actual results don't mean anything, that Sagarin predictions should be used over actual results?
What are you talking about? According to Sagarin Iowa State goes 6-7 with their own schedule and 7-6 with Iowa's schedule. Iowa State's schedule was at least one game harder. Obviously games aren't chalk lol

Reactions: mikeiastat

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Why don't you just jump to your end game and call me a racist again because I won't answer your questions?
The fact you say racism is running rampant in college football when in reality it was just an Iowa issue is unacceptable IMO. You can admit you were wrong and say it was just an Iowa thing in CFB and be over with it

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
What are you talking about? According to Sagarin Iowa State goes 6-7 with their own schedule and 7-6 with Iowa's schedule. Iowa State's schedule was at least one game harder. Obviously games aren't chalk lol

Got it, ISU went 7-6 and would go 7-6 playing Iowa's schedule.

• Dumb

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Well technically you would expect Iowa State to go 8-5 with Iowa's schedule since they went +1 on their projections

At least we can agree that Iowa wins 11 games vs ISU's schedule. For some reason I thought it was 10 wins, but looks like only ND and OU could beat Iowa on ISU schedule. It does suck for Iowa that they would have lost twice to OU (once in the Big12 championship game), but an 11-3 season and playing in the Big12 championship game is a pretty decent year.

• Haha
Reactions: Cytown12

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
At least we can agree that Iowa wins 11 games vs ISU's schedule. For some reason I thought it was 10 wins, but looks like only ND and OU could beat Iowa on ISU schedule. It does suck for Iowa that they would have lost twice to OU (once in the Big12 championship game), but an 11-3 season and playing in the Big12 championship game is a pretty decent year.
Iowa would lose at Baylor according to Sagarin

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Iowa would lose at Baylor according to Sagarin

Ok, I thought it was 10 wins vs ISU schedule, but when I looked at it a little bit ago I was thinking the rating calculated out home field advantage. ISU still would only go 7-6 vs Iowa's schedule though. Good thing you got that SOS to brag about, seems it really would make a difference.

• Dumb

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Ok, I thought it was 10 wins vs ISU schedule, but when I looked at it a little bit ago I was thinking the rating calculated out home field advantage. ISU still would only go 7-6 vs Iowa's schedule though. Good thing you got that SOS to brag about, seems it really would make a difference.
8-5 since they were +1

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
This thread is hilarious. Iowa made a living playing in the historically poor Big 10 West and the old Big 10, before adding Nebraska or going to divisions had a lot of tough years too. Iowa won the league a couple of times, but when they did, guess what, they avoided the "co champion" and didn't have to play a championship game. And now the Big 12 is having a down year, and here they are. Look in the mirror Iowa fans. Playing in a poor league, Iowa has been there, done that, got the T-shirt and the hat.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron