PODCAST: Jamie Pollard on the last 14 days

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Reactions: Acylum and conmebol

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Then you missed his entire point. The whole idea was to present a unified front between the university and the athletic department. Kids in classrooms meant fans in stands. He wanted to be united in the decision with Wintersteen. Faculty bailed on Wintersteen when she was ready to move to all online (which would have meant no fans in stands).
I agree with everything until your last sentence.

They stayed aligned through where they weren’t going to have students on campus. No students, then no fans in the stands. Then the University reversed and decided instead to have students on campus. And so then, they wanted fans in the stands, because it would look bad to have in-person instruction but no fans in the stands.

So the public announcement on having fans in the stands was made Monday, after they had decided to continue with in-person instruction. After the public announcement, then, the faculty bailed.

So this is where I disagree with your last sentence.

They were all aligned (though with a little back and forth, which could explain your last sentence) until after the decision to have fans in the stands had been publicly announced that Monday.

The decision to have fans was reversed publicly on Wednesday, after Pollard received a call to this effect from Dr. Wintersteen Tuesday evening.

Last edited:

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
City of Ames has butchered a lot of development projects the past 20-30 years and never capitalized on opportunities. Iowa City was very similar to Ames in that they were difficult to deal with and never forward thinking. That's when developers turned to Coralville, NL and Tiffin to develop and build new structures. IC is catching on, but those other cities are seeing the majority of the growth.

The Ped Mall development was a big push from the University and City to this day still pushes back on future development.

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Agreed.

I just don't know if JP can come back from this--and before the freak-outs start happening, I mean from an emotional standpoint. I heard an incredibly frustrated and bitter person in that interview. He clearly can't stand the community he works in. So ask yourself this: if you've ever felt that way about your job, etc., how long did you hang around?
Disagree...if anything, I would think this makes JP want to come to work even more. He's not the sort to tuck tail and go meekly into the night. This is about positioning for more important decisions down the road...some of which will take place over the next couple of weeks.

JP is not going anywhere.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
The way I heard it, Boone had a choice between the railroad and ISU. They chose the railroad.

Neither story is true. All three and others were in competition for the college. The McHose family in Boone even ponied up the 200+ acres of their land for the campus. Ames won out for whatever reason. Probably politics. Seems like if what I remember was correct, the Nevada effort wasn't nearly as well organized.

What happened to that land in Boone earmarked for the college? Eventually it was donated it to the City of Boone by the McHose family and it became McHose Park.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I haven't seen anyone on this board who is anti-playing football. I've seen debates about fan attendance where there are good points to be made from many views (my own view on that changes daily).

They're already practicing, it's idiotic to not have no games at all like the Big Ten is doing when you're having practice.

Are there local people in Ames who are against zero fan games?
You're right, it's mostly anti fan attendance, not anti-football. I agree, almost everyone seems to be on board for playing. I should have said that differently.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Agreed.

I just don't know if JP can come back from this--and before the freak-outs start happening, I mean from an emotional standpoint. I heard an incredibly frustrated and bitter person in that interview. He clearly can't stand the community he works in. So ask yourself this: if you've ever felt that way about your job, etc., how long did you hang around?

I'm pro-playing the games (I think we all are).
I'm very skeptical of 25K in a 60k stadium but probably more open to a smaller # where distancing was more realistic.
I'm 100% behind JP as the man for his job before, during and after the process he just went through.

Hopefully he realizes a lot of people like me out there who can support what he's done without 100% agreeing on everything all the time.

I'm sure something like 50% of us have the same frustrations JP has now with our jobs (I do), but it's not forever. I've had to vent a lot, I give him a ton of latitude to vent if he wants.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You're right, it's mostly anti fan attendance, not anti-football. I agree, almost everyone seems to be on board for playing. I should have said that differently.

Just imagine if we actually WEREN'T playing like Iowa and Nebraska but just practicing.

I'd have to think 100% of their fans are against the current status of their situation. At least with the no fans, 10k fans, 15k fans, 25k fans we're all in some sort of mild disagreement or mild agreement.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Just listened and I agree the podcast was fantastic. Interesting, insightful, and informative. This is CycloneFanatic at its best.

The further along Jamie went in the interview he cleared up three questions I had. Where the 25,000 came from and who were the negative Nancy's in the 'community'. Also outlined, as I expected, what needs to happen for fans in the stands for OU and the rest of the season.

Fully support JP's stance and tone on the situation. Swirl On, Jamie!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I feel like he's trying to say we're always the good neighbor, taking advice and working with the community, but the community seldom return the favor.

I can see the point in terms of what the university gives to Ames vs what they get back. It'd be a different situation if ISU were sitting in a city of 3 million.

Were people in the community really that upset about CY Stephens winding down through this thing? I mean that falls under the no fans or far less fans just as football and basketball do. I'm thinking that's a small vocal minority that he should just ignore.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Agreed. There's a lot I love about this city, but adversity to change isn't one of those things. The Healthy life center vote was one of them. New mall, etc. Sometimes the city can't get out of its own way

I agree with most of what is said regarding the city and it's core of anti-growth vocal minority. However, some of the things they pushed back against did not make much sense. The Healthy Life Center sounded good originally, but funding kept getting pushed more and more to the bond and city, including a substantial projected operating deficit. Then it started to become clear that to help offset that the pool and space would be getting reserved by groups. The new aquatic center will always run at a deficit too. While I still think it would've been nice to have, I think as the funding started to look worse for the city, I understand why it did not pass.

Sorry, the "new mall" (saying those words together these days is a little strange) had Springfield monorail written all over it.

The problem is the city has a bunch of half-developed areas currently that could be great. Focusing on getting those areas (campustown, main street, Lincoln Way), including some public fitness space, indoor bball courts, etc. would be tremendous, and a majority of the people would support it.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: DJSteve and STLISU

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I agree with most of what is said regarding the city and it's core of anti-growth vocal minority. However, some of the things they pushed back against did not make much sense. The Healthy Life Center sounded good originally, but funding kept getting pushed more and more to the bond and city, including a substantial projected operating deficit. Then it started to become clear that to help offset that the pool and space would be getting reserved by groups. The new aquatic center will always run at a deficit too. While I still think it would've been nice to have, I think as the funding started to look worse for the city, I understand why it did not pass.

Sorry, the "new mall" (saying those words together these days is a little strange) had Springfield monorail written all over it.

The problem is the city has a bunch of half-developed areas currently that could be great. Focusing on getting those areas (campustown, main street, Lincoln Way), including some public fitness space, indoor bball courts, etc. would be tremendous, and a majority of the people would support it.
Hindsight is of course 20/20, and the new mall feels like a dodged bullet now. But with that said, at the time it was proposed, the opposition wasn't based in the thought that it would fail. The main opposition was the thought that it would be too successful and steal business away from main street.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I look at the hospitalizations pretty regular and cannot recall hospitalizations in Story co ever going above 5 - it was at 1 when I looked at it earlier today. (from the IDPH site)

I saw something on FB that had a bunch of colleges, including ISU and Iowa, maybe 25 with zero students hospitalized. Of course that is on FB, so hard to trust it.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
We are at an interesting juncture where the Univeristy, it's image/visibility, and national perceptions are being driven by Athletics. That's what happens when schools develop strong Athletic programs and teams. The results have been a rising enrollment, increasing funds, and a massive infrastructure boom. The enrollment correlation to athletic performance (specifically Football) is undeniable.

The chorus of Faculty and Ames/Story County voices should be careful not to bite the hand that feeds. They have been the direct beneficiary of the Athletic Dept success over the past 10-15 years. To undercut that and challenge JP/WW at this point is incredibly shortsighted.

I remember what Iowa State was like in the 1980s, 1990s, and even a chunk of the 2000s when our Athletic programs were largely a national joke. It was like being Kansas without a powerhouse BBall progam and not being the state's flagship University (also pretty much like Kstate.....). Truly the dark ages. To an outsider; there was no difference between Iowa State and Nebraska State/Missouri State/Minnesota State (the irony is intentional). No noteworthy athletics, middling academics, just another meh Great Plains State Univeristy. Living outside of Iowa for the past decade has helped me understand this to a greater extent.

With conference volatility still at the forefront and TV contracts looming, ISU can never rest on its laurels (certainly not its academic laurels anymore I might add:mad:). We're always on the cusp of the 64 that may or may not be ushered into the next era of college athletics. The naysays would be wise not to forget that. The collegiate athletics dark ages for ISU are never that far away. Enrollment, Academic funding, tourism,etc. are inextricably linked. Look at UConn as a very recent example.

While causing WW/JP to backpeddle might seem like a minor issue, or even logical in these times; I for one don't want an even remotely disenfranchised JP, MC, SP, etc. The Ath. Dept is firing on all cylinders right now and ISU has far too many natural obstacles to add any more to the list. We can't forget where we came from and the driving force that got us here. Let's get the fans back in the stands for OU!