NENick

Feb 14, 2017
You mask up for flu season from now on, and social distance and get your annual flu shot? Flu kills too. Wondering what level of hypocrisy we will have in the future now.

This was from 14 pages ago, but I felt it needed a response. I do get a flu shot every year and will continue to do do. Haven't worn a mask or practiced the current level of social distancing in the past. My understanding is that the U.S. and the rest of the world would have had many times the current number of deaths without the significant number of people who tried to follow guidelines. Even with that, there is no comparison between COVID-19 and a typical flu season or even a very bad one.

I wonder what level of ignorance and selfishness we'll have in the future.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This was from 14 pages ago, but I felt it needed a response. I do get a flu shot every year and will continue to do do. Haven't worn a mask or practiced the current level of social distancing in the past. My understanding is that the U.S. and the rest of the world would have had many times the current number of deaths without the significant number of people who tried to follow guidelines. Even with that, there is no comparison between COVID-19 and a typical flu season or even a very bad one.

Yeah, it really is a stupid argument they are trying to make. If the flu killed at this rate, you bet your ass it would cause the same chaos. People still can't understand it's not all about the deaths, it's also about over loading the hospitals and there being no room for people.

Reactions: Halincandenza

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, it really is a stupid argument they are trying to make. If the flu killed at this rate, you bet your ass it would cause the same chaos. People still can't understand it's not all about the deaths, it's also about over loading the hospitals and there being no room for people.

Keeping the curve flat one time seemed to mean the pandemic was over for some people.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016

So you don't think thousands of lives would be saved annually from flu related death with masks, social distance and required flu shots?

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
On yours last statement.....there has never been an effective vaccine developed for a mutating virus. Because they have no idea of what mutation will be next.....they are always playing from behind.
Add to that, due to the biological differences between every human being there is an inherent risk the vaccine could be more detrimental that the virus itself. Which means it'll always be the tail wagging the dog.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Am hoping that the parents of players will be allowed in the stadium on Saturday. The amount of time and emotion that a parent has invested not to mention the concern of injury, it would be tragic if they are not allowed to be present.

Reactions: BCClone

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Am hoping that the parents of players will be allowed in the stadium on Saturday. The amount of time and emotion that a parent has invested not to mention the concern of injury, it would be tragic if they are not allowed to be present.
Pollard said both teams will get their family allotments.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

So you don't think thousands of lives would be saved annually from flu related death with masks, social distance and required flu shots?

Lots of lives would be saved if people wore masks if they believed or knew they had the flu. That is why people in a lot of asian countries wear masks when they are sick. We just live in a more selfish society. if the flu was the same as covid though, yes, masks would be required, social distancing would be practices etc. Not that hard to understand.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Lots of lives would be saved if people wore masks if they believed or knew they had the flu. That is why people in a lot of asian countries wear masks when they are sick. We just live in a more selfish society. if the flu was the same as covid though, yes, masks would be required, social distancing would be practices etc. Not that hard to understand.

There are still pluses and minuses to this approach though. I'm all for wearing masks and taking appropriate measures for the current pandemic or other similar outbreaks. I'm not necessarily in favor of a blanket mask wearing policy for any possible ailment. There are negative effects to doing things like this - living in an environment that is too sterile generally leads to people having weaker immune systems.

Obviously, I'm not a medical professional. But I personally think it is valuable for people to be exposed to regular germs throughout their lives.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The optics of playing when the pandemic numbers are pretty rough was....um... problematic?

Press showing things like this has to fire up some heat under certain seats I would imagine.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Is there a way to know how many people die or spend time in the hospital from the flu that don't get the vaccine?

Note: I'm aware it's not 100% effective. But getting it can be effective at lessening the severity if you contract it.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
The optics of playing when the pandemic numbers are pretty rough was....um... problematic?

Press showing things like this has to fire up some heat under certain seats I would imagine.

Charts like this one are one of the reasons that epidemiology is a tool with limitations. What this chart does is compare cases in college towns. It doesn't demonstrate that playing college football is the cause of these case numbers. In fact, I would argue it shows the opposite. Obviously, our friends out east are topping the charts for the B1G, yet they are not playing football.

Epidemiology is good at showing correlation, but not causation. That's generally what epidemiologist do - they look at large groups of people and look to see what factors they may have in common that may lead to health problems. Epidemiologists are professionals who do things like study to see if exposure to various chemicals could be a cause of cancer. It's a useful tool, but not an infallible one. What this chart seems to show is that other factors are the cause of outbreaks and high case numbers. It shows that for the most part, the PAC-12 states have done a good job with their virus response, the B1G and ACC states have done average to above average, the B12 has done below average and most SEC states have done a poor job.

Reactions: Urbandale2013

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I've seen thousands of people wearing masks at the grocery store for the last six years in the US. I live in a 19% Asian city. I think it helped avoid the stigma here.

White/black/latino people were wearing masks in late Feb and early March in part because a lot of their Asian friends and neighbors had for years.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Going to add this here as well. Based on this tool, there’s a 95% chance that a gathering with 25 people in Story county has 1 person with Covid. That extrapolates to a 95% chance 1,000 people in a crowd of 25k who are moving around, yelling, screaming, etc. Social distancing of 6ft is likely insufficient, and unlikely at chokepoints like entry/exits, aisles, bathrooms, concessions, etc.

On the other hand, game days generate $9M for the Ames Community, or $2.25M at 25%. The average cost for one day of hospitalization for Covid is $73,300. The average length of a hospital stay is 10-13 days. Three hospitalizations from a game render it revenue neutral, which is a damn fine line to walk.

You can interpret the numbers as you see fit, but that’s the data.

That only works if the entire crowd is from Story county. Now do the state as a whole.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
There were several prior posts debating this but wanted to add to the conversation around will people will want the same standards when in comes to flu season as we do now with COVID. Massive caveat of course is that COVID is NOT the flu. Completely understand and agree. I am very much on board with wearing masks and taking the sensible precautions related to COVID.

Reality is however, that preventative measures for the two ARE largely the same. The best case study we have right now is Australia. They just exited their traditional flu season and turns out the flu was virtually non-existent this year. Why? Because of people wearing masks, socially distancing, heightened focus on sanitation, hand washing, etc.

When we look at a typical flu season in the US, based on 10-yr average CDC estimates, we're talking about 28.6 million symptomatic cases, 446k hospitalizations, and 37,462 deaths every year. Evidence suggests that could be effectively eliminated by following these types of protocols for the ~4-6 month flu season.

In my mind people have taken two stances. 1) "Even one COVID death is too many if caused by people not taking things seriously or following the suggested mitigation tactics" or 2) "It's survival of the fittest and the people who die are largely those who were already in poor health or very elderly"

I guess what I'm getting at is that we, as a population, are willing to accept "Stance 2" and 35,000+ deaths from the flu every year with no concern. Why do some reject that stance and move to "Stance 1" for COVID?

Will this change our mindsets and should we continue these mitigation tactics in perpetuity based on the evidence that we could largely eliminate flu season and likely other respiratory illness? I think it's clearly unsustainable to carry on like this forever, but behaviors may change that lessen flu impact.

Or do we get past COVID, a temporary (although doesn't feel like it) event, lose 200,000-300,000 lives and then turn around and forget it all and start accepting 40k deaths a year from flu like it's a foregone conclusion?

Yes, we believe death rates to be more significant than the flu and I get all that. The point is more about behaviors and how death related to COVID is viewed differently when compared to other viral infections.

Reactions: Urbandale2013

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Charts like this one are one of the reasons that epidemiology is a tool with limitations. What this chart does is compare cases in college towns. It doesn't demonstrate that playing college football is the cause of these case numbers. In fact, I would argue it shows the opposite. Obviously, our friends out east are topping the charts for the B1G, yet they are not playing football.

Epidemiology is good at showing correlation, but not causation. That's generally what epidemiologist do - they look at large groups of people and look to see what factors they may have in common that may lead to health problems. Epidemiologists are professionals who do things like study to see if exposure to various chemicals could be a cause of cancer. It's a useful tool, but not an infallible one. What this chart seems to show is that other factors are the cause of outbreaks and high case numbers. It shows that for the most part, the PAC-12 states have done a good job with their virus response, the B1G and ACC states have done average to above average, the B12 has done below average and most SEC states have done a poor job.

And playing football is absolutely nothing like having 25k in the stands for an event. The B1G is practicing so effectively they aren't doing much different yet.

Fans/no fans has always been the issue.

If conferences are going to practice they might as well play no fan games.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There were several prior posts debating this but wanted to add to the conversation around will people will want the same standards when in comes to flu season as we do now with COVID. Massive caveat of course is that COVID is NOT the flu. Completely understand and agree. I am very much on board with wearing masks and taking the sensible precautions related to COVID.

Reality is however, that preventative measures for the two ARE largely the same. The best case study we have right now is Australia. They just exited their traditional flu season and turns out the flu was virtually non-existent this year. Why? Because of people wearing masks, socially distancing, heightened focus on sanitation, hand washing, etc.

When we look at a typical flu season in the US, based on 10-yr average CDC estimates, we're talking about 28.6 million symptomatic cases, 446k hospitalizations, and 37,462 deaths every year. Evidence suggests that could be effectively eliminated by following these types of protocols for the ~4-6 month flu season.

In my mind people have taken two stances. 1) "Even one COVID death is too many if caused by people not taking things seriously or following the suggested mitigation tactics" or 2) "It's survival of the fittest and the people who die are largely those who were already in poor health or very elderly"

I guess what I'm getting at is that we, as a population, are willing to accept "Stance 2" and 35,000+ deaths from the flu every year with no concern. Why do some reject that stance and move to "Stance 1" for COVID?

Will this change our mindsets and should we continue these mitigation tactics in perpetuity based on the evidence that we could largely eliminate flu season and likely other respiratory illness? I think it's clearly unsustainable to carry on like this forever, but behaviors may change that lessen flu impact.

Or do we get past COVID, a temporary (although doesn't feel like it) event, lose 200,000-300,000 lives and then turn around and forget it all and start accepting 40k deaths a year from flu like it's a foregone conclusion?

Yes, we believe death rates to be more significant than the flu and I get all that. The point is more about behaviors and how death related to COVID is viewed differently when compared to other viral infections.

Anecdotal but my conservative ER doc friend has always told me the flu shot is worth it and the most common illness related fatality he gets is people arriving too late from flu and dying in his ER within minutes or an hour too far gone.

He just postponed his Oct wedding a year.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

There’s a highly effective vaccine for the flu. We’re at almost 200k bodies from COVID and it’s been like 6 months. Do the math.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Cyclad and NENick