The MAC cancels its fall football season

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
who says I'm spreading it... I live in a county with less then 90 cases total. the surrounding counties are all less then 100 too and all of those are mainly long term care facilities, with maybe 1 or 2 current hospitalizations. except for work I barely have to go anywhere since the Fiancee works at walmart and does the shopping after her shift. coworkers wife even works at the local hospital and they are hardly concerned about it any more..

54,199 new cases and 976 new deaths in the United States

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Because if we didn’t institute concussion protocols, every kid would want to go back out there and play, wobbling, seeing stars and all. COVID is no different.

Somebody has to be the adult in the room.

yeah but many people would say, it’s barbaric to expose these kids to brain injuries like this for nothing

In that case they would view themselves as the adult in the room, and anyone that liked or watched football the child in the room, in this case you or me are the children, it’s all a matter of perspective

I still think if your position is we can’t play football due to COVID, then I think it is very hard to advocate for ever playing football again. COVID risk will never be zero, and it is impossible to say we are not ok with COVID, but we are ok with brain injuries, broken backs, legs, spread of other diseases ...etc

the other thing is, how can you have students back on campus and say that us safe, but you can’t play sports...or how have you allowed training camp to start with no problems but now decided it’s not safe

for instance if there is a vaccine in two years...and it’s 50 percent effective, is that enough? Is 75 percent enough? 99 percent? And how many colleges are left that can play, and how many kids are left that can actually play after a couple year hiatus?

who knows, we might not have Iowa state football ever again in the same way...schools could organize and break away, nfl could form a minor league...there really is no way to keep other sports, no way to pay our coaches, no way to maintain debt or facilities...I kind of think this is the end of college football if they are going to not play, hope I’m wrong because I love college football

Last edited:

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
People have been doing this for months and it's exactly why we can't have football now. Maybe people like you will figure it out before we lose spring football too. I'm not optimistic.
maybe people like you will figure out the virus isn't going anywhere either so might as well get on living. but I'm not optimistic, hell if we can't have football I'll probably get some repair/upgrade work done on the beater this fall.. but would rather have that on in the garage while working.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
maybe people like you will figure out the virus isn't going anywhere either so might as well get on living. but I'm not optimistic, hell if we can't have football I'll probably get some repair/upgrade work done on the beater this fall.. but would rather have that on in the garage while working.

All this for better background noise, cool.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

No large gatherings, practice social distancing, wear a mask and wash your hands?

• Winner
Reactions: RealisticCy

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
yeah but many people would say, it’s barbaric to expose these kids to brain injuries like this for nothing

In that case they would view themselves as the adult in the room, and anyone that liked or watched football the child in the room, in this case you or me are the children, it’s all a matter of perspective

I still think if your position is we can’t play football due to COVID, then I think it is very hard to advocate for ever playing football again. COVID risk will never be zero, and it is impossible to say we are not ok with COVID, but we are ok with brain injuries, broken backs, legs, spread of other diseases ...etc

for instance if there is a vaccine in two years...and it’s 50 percent effective, is that enough? Is 75 percent enough? 99 percent? And how many colleges are left that can play, and how many kids are left that can actually play after a couple year hiatus?

who knows, we might not have Iowa state football ever again in the same way...schools could organize and break away, nfl could form a minor league...there really is no way to keep other sports, no way to pay our coaches, no way to maintain debt or facilities...I kind of think this is the end of college football if they are going to not play, hope I’m wrong because I love college football
this.....

L

LincolnWay187

Looking at the charts, I guess I see the MAC's point. Total cases right now are sky high 2.3 MM people with active infection! Even though new cases are trending down...that is a crazy amount of people with it right now. It is going to suck losing football for the season, but I agree people should have done more to stay home and isolate...at least wear masks for christs sake.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
All this for better background noise, cool.
then why all of college sports for injuries to begin with??? students will still have the risk of covid even with out sports....
No large gatherings, practice social distancing, wear a mask and wash your hands?
sons first birthday last month.. zero cases out of that.. social distance at the stores /masks yeah... washing hands yeah but then again they are so covered in grease/oil/dirt to begin with....

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Looking at the charts, I guess I see the MAC's point. Total cases right now are sky high 2.3 MM people with active infection! Even though new cases are trending down...that is a crazy amount of people with it right now. It is going to suck losing football for the season, but I agree people should have done more to stay home and isolate.
I see a lot about the financial side for the MAC with all the P5s going conference only...

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
then why all of college sports for injuries to begin with??? students will still have the risk of covid even with out sports....

sons first birthday last month.. zero cases out of that.. social distance at the stores /masks yeah... washing hands yeah but then again they are so covered in grease/oil/dirt to begin with....

And we've come full circle....

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
And we've come full circle....
so why hold out on sports when the risk is there no matter what?? how many times have you potentially been exposed without knowing it to begin with?? how many personally do you know that have been effected by it?

• Dumb
Reactions: Bigman38

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
You don't actually know this. I know a family that had a gathering and close to 10 of them tested positive afterwards. Only found out because one had to get tested prior to surgery.
and the the future father and mother in-law who hosted it gets tested every week for work... and no symptoms or anything for anyone else including my 86 year old grandfather.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
and the the future father and mother in-law who hosted it gets tested every week for work... and no symptoms or anything for anyone else including my 86 year old grandfather.

The family I was talking about didn't have symptoms either. Yet they had it and there was at least one more case linked to them.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

the other thing is, how can you have students back on campus and say that us safe, but you can’t play sports...or how have you allowed training camp to start with no problems but now decided it’s not safe

They wear protective gear to minimize the risk of those injuries.

Protective gear (you know, a vaccine?) does not exist yet for COVID. Once it does, the risk becomes acceptable.

You seem to think I'm not viewing this with nuance. I'm absolutely viewing this rationally. I've got skin in this game, I have a 2021 daughter whose softball recruiting has been absolutely smashed by this virus. The opportunities for college coaches to evaluate her have been virtually nil, and it's looking like that's going to continue throughout this 2020-2021 travel year. Who even knows which softball programs are going to survive this? I absolutely want this to be over, and to give her a chance to sign the NLI she's dreamed of signing since she was 10. People like the poster I've been arguing with make me absolutely blood-boiling livid.