College Football Claiming Poverty

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Anyone else sick of this? 8 months ago Pollard is up there touting the new mega-mall of ISU Football fandom to be built in the Hilton/JTS parking lots. Now he’s claiming poverty. I don’t care about endowments, revenue, or anything else. Was this not in the contingencies? Pandemics happen, they actually happen all of the time. I hope we have a season and we can make some money but CFB and ADs better take a good ******* look when we’re past this because it’s a horrible look.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Anyone else sick of this? 8 months ago Pollard is up there touting the new mega-mall of ISU Football fandom to be built in the Hilton/JTS parking lots. Now he’s claiming poverty. I don’t care about endowments, revenue, or anything else. Was this not in the contingencies? Pandemics happen, they actually happen all of the time. I hope we have a season and we can make some money but CFB and ADs better take a good ******* look when we’re past this because it’s a horrible look.

You have tens of millions of people you need to explain planning for the unknown to also while you lecture JP about planning for the unknown.

Reactions: dmclone

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
When was the last time a pandemic shut everything down to this extent? I’ll hang up and listen

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Just curious. Were you planning for one? And, if so, how?

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Uh when is the last time we were on the brink of canceling an entire football season? This doesn’t happen “all the time” as you put it.

I’m all for having a conservative budget and planning for a rainy day, but college sports is a huge business with fixed costs and we are on the brink of giving up essentially all income that is used to cover that cost. Businesses can’t do that and survive.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
There was literally a different SARS pandemic 10 years ago.

Not even remotely comparable and you know it. Ridiculous take.

SARS was 2003. H1N1 was 2009. 3,900 people died of H1N1 in the US in a 6 month period and there were zero shutdowns. Just absurd.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
When was the last time a pandemic shut everything down to this extent? I’ll hang up and listen

Close. Viruses dont shut things down. This is the First time ever politicians have demanded shutting down the economy.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not even remotely comparable and you know it. Ridiculous take.

SARS was 2003. H1N1 was 2009. 3,900 people died of H1N1 in the US in a 6 month period and there were zero shutdowns. Just absurd.

Sorry you are correct, but these were pandemics correct? My company had plans in place for pandemic response. Was it just the attitude of “it won’t happen here” that has caused the lack of a coherent plan?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
It's like if you're a trust fund baby and then the trust fund gets pulled away. Could you have saved some? Sure, but your mentality your entire life has been that money will keep coming.

Here's the problem with savings money within a public institution. People will complain (loudly) that since you don't "need" all of it you should lower fees or lower taxes. Plus ISU is poor compared to some of our football brethren, so what exactly would they be saving for?

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Sorry you are correct, but these were pandemics correct? My company had plans in place for pandemic response. Was it just the attitude of “it won’t happen here” that has caused the lack of a coherent plan?

The only way to financially plan for this would be to carry a years worth of revenue on the balance sheet as cash/working capital. If we did this people would throw a fit and say we aren’t fully utilizing our assets for the athletic department. You also run the risk of donors getting complacent seeing all that cash sitting there and back off on donations because of it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The only way to financially plan for this would be to carry a years worth of revenue on the balance sheet as cash/working capital. If we did this people would throw a fit and say we aren’t fully utilizing our assets for the athletic department. You also run the risk of donors getting complacent seeing all that cash sitting there and back off on donations because of it.

Mistakes were made. That would be the more honest answer instead of claiming poverty.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I disagree with the notion that college athletic departments could have had a plan in place for what we've seen this year. But, it's completely valid to examine and question athletic budgets and spending in the situation we find ourselves in. Athletic budgets are incredibly bloated. The arms race is the reason. These programs spend huge amounts of money keeping up with the Joneses. Massive coaching salaries, endless facility updates, huge recruiting budgets, etc. It all gets inflated because people are afraid that if their program didn't spend the cash, then the ones that do will get an advantage.

And that's not necessarily wrong. But it's worth acknowledging, and examining in a time like this, and consider making changes in priority. Significant change isn't likely to happen, but it's not wrong to consider it at a time like this.