Retirement Targets

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Just curious:

What age plan to retire?

What amount plan to have saved by that age?

Just curious as to when people plan to punch out for the last time and what the savings targets are. I know it varies by what you want to be able to do in retirement and health condition at that point, but just curious in general as to the two questions above.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I enjoy what I do for a main job. Self-employed so unless a kid follows me, I will probably just hire more of it done and keep going. So, if my kids are around, I may not retire. If the kids are out of state, probably around that mid 60s or so. In my mid to late 40s now and by 50 I will have things set so my wife or I could retire, but have no desire to. She can retire at 56, so we will see what happens then.

Reactions: chadly82 and yowza

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Just curious:

What age plan to retire?

What amount plan to have saved by that age?

Just curious as to when people plan to punch out for the last time and what the savings targets are. I know it varies by what you want to be able to do in retirement and health condition at that point, but just curious in general as to the two questions above.

56 1/2 which happens October 1 of this year.

Original plan was $2.5mm and that includes my lump sum pension pay-out - even with the pandemic we've humbly exceeded that. Wife is 51 and wants to keep working which is okay dokey by me. No inheritance but we are planning on social security.

We're also moving tomorrow to CoSprings for our retirement start (for me anyway).

Run the numbers, then run numbers from as many different models as you can. And you also really need your cash burn rate. Reddit sub called FIRE - financial independence retire early - is interesting but those guys are spartans when it comes to this.

Last thing - you HAVE to be confident in your models but you can never set it and fagetabboutit...

Saving money is simple and not spending money is simple. Neither are easy however...

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Trying to figure out what that right $$$ figure is. Law of 4% says it is millions... So I guess the day I hit that is the day I can retire. Only if we finally fix healthcare in this country, or it will mean we cannot retire until we can get medicare.

Reactions: FLYINGCYCLONE

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Plan is to stop working my Corp job at 55 and find something fun to do for the last 10 years to get me to 65. Wife I wld expect to do the same but could see her working her Corp job till 60. Last time I checked if we stopped saving for retirement today we would have just over $2mil at 65.

Youngsters, save early and often.

Last edited:

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I’d like to be able to retire by 60 if I want, but realistically plan on working at least part time into my 70s. I need something to hate.

Planning on a minimum 1mill in 401k If things continue on the current trajectory, Ill be in the 1.5-2mill range by my 60’s. The wife will probably have a pension and we may land a nice inheritance as well. House will be paid off in 5-10 years.

Reactions: yowza

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
My goal is the 62-65 range (12 to 15 years). I'd like to semi-retire to somewhere nice and work part time just to avoid boredom (current thought is North Carolina, or somewhere with mild winters and reasonably close to the ocean). There's too much uncertainty to say how that is all going to work out, or how much we will need, but I feel good about where we are right now.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
56 1/2 which happens October 1 of this year.

Original plan was $2.5mm and that includes my lump sum pension pay-out - even with the pandemic we've humbly exceeded that. Wife is 51 and wants to keep working which is okay dokey by me. No inheritance but we are planning on social security.

We're also moving tomorrow to CoSprings for our retirement start (for me anyway).

Run the numbers, then run numbers from as many different models as you can. And you also really need your cash burn rate. Reddit sub called FIRE - financial independence retire early - is interesting but those guys are spartans when it comes to this.

Last thing - you HAVE to be confident in your models but you can never set it and fagetabboutit...

Saving money is simple and not spending money is simple. Neither are easy however...

Sweet. Congrats. Get out while can still be active is good. This COVID deal has certainly changed our spending. Of course nowhere to go really, but has also changed the spending on small things that add up each month. We have found we really don't miss stuff we thought we had to have even though small purchases. I like cooking at home anyway as I can pretty much make anything as good as most restaurants (not a see food guy so don't prepare that type) so I don't miss going to any restaurants.

I probably look at numbers too often, like every day the market is open. Probably should not be quite that fixated.

I would plan to do current line of work for maybe 8 more years and then switch to something more fun for a few years even if much lower pay as we will have enough banked unless we get a 1929 style collapse and great depression. If that happened then I will be working up to the time they embalm me.

I am kind of "cheap" too. My phone is 5 years old and like my vehicles (all current ones have rust inside the doors and are 10 years old) I use them til they quit and then get a replacement model that is a year or two older than the new ones.

Our target before taking any distributions would be around $4M or so I think. Wife wants to travel and I have always pushed off on that as I don't really care to much, so probably will cave and travel more. I will say I do enjoy it once I go, but the idea of going I don't get excited for. I like being around home mostly. We do hope maybe to spend a few months of winter elsewhere. At least the months of January and February.

I am not really planning on social security but expect there will be something coming.

Like everyone else though, health will dictate a lot and may cost a lot in retirement. I tell my wife that stuff is not fun to plan for and save for, but man we don't want to be scrimping to pay for medical care or long term care if needed and we don't want to be dependent on kids or anyone else. Those days eventually come where the services will be needed.

I hope beyond all hope that politicians do not end up punishing us savers who sacrificed and add new taxes and fees because we are better off than a lot of others and the government has a propensity to spend.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Was gonna shoot for 60 but not sure now.

I'm in the thought process that even if/when I do I'll do something part-time to make some extra cash but also hope it's something I enjoy doing.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I’d like to be able to retire by 60 if I want, but realistically plan on working at least part time into my 70s. I need something to hate.

Planning on a minimum 1mill in 401k If things continue on the current trajectory, Ill be in the 1.5-2mill range by my 60’s. The wife will probably have a pension and we may land a nice inheritance as well. House will be paid off in 5-10 years.

But man just knowing you could walk away at any minute of any day because you have enough would put a huge damper on the hate for the job.

Sounds like you are doing great with the plan and well on track.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I enjoy what I do for a main job. Self-employed so unless a kid follows me, I will probably just hire more of it done and keep going. So, if my kids are around, I may not retire. If the kids are out of state, probably around that mid 60s or so. In my mid to late 40s now and by 50 I will have things set so my wife or I could retire, but have no desire to. She can retire at 56, so we will see what happens then.

Awesome. Has to be nice to reach that level. Was your business impacted by COVID?

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I have numbers & plans. I'm 34. My conservative plan has about $3M in today's dollars by the time I'm 67. With my pension, SS (??), and general disdain for elaborate travel that would be more than enough. And none of that counts my wife's income yet, since it is very volatile.

Could likely retire comfortably much sooner, but I'd rather take the approach of pursuing an alternative, more fulfilling career at an earlier age than I would just push like hell to retire asap. I'm just not sure what that is or what it looks like just yet.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Current age is 58, I will be 59 in the fall, I plan on working 3 more years, and get out at age 61. Wife is 60, she wants to work one more year, so she will be getting out at 61. I figure between our IPERS, SS and investments we will be drawing right around $10,000 a month before taxes
Like everyone else, I am worried about the gap years from retirement to Medicare, I talked to my employer yesterday about putting my wife on my plan when she retires and it comes to around $700 a month. She can stay on her current plan, but she would have to pay the full balance. Not sure right now what we are going to do.

My biggest headache besides the insurance, is the wife wants to move to Ames to be closer to the grandkids. I keep telling her, why do we want to leave a house we both love and is basically paid off, to purchase another house in Ames? Getting nowhere with my reasoning.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Plan is to stop working my Corp job at 55 and find something fun to do for the last 10 years to get me to 65. Wife I wld expect to do the same but could see her working her Corp job till 60. Last time I checked if we stopped saving for retirement today we would have just over $2mil at 65.

Youngsters, save early and often.

Funny - my original plan hatched in the 1980s was to work until 50 then teach. But the weird part IS, I found I really don't like children of any age...

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I'm a millenial who got a masters degree in something other than finance, so unless I return to software engineering I'm never retiring.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
But man just knowing you could walk away at any minute of any day because you have enough would put a huge damper on the hate for the job.

Sounds like you are doing great with the plan and well on track.

I made a decision 4-5 years ago after a career issue that I had to be in full control of my destiny. And since I was never going to run the place, I needed f/u money so I could call my shot and that's when we sharpened the pencils. We've ALWAYS been max savers/investors, so the foundation was there but by running and re-running numbers through all kinds of different models, consulting professionals, etc. we got to a level of trust in our plan, it's built for the long-haul, and the actual results are in OUR control at least for the burn rate.