***General Cycling Thread***

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone have recommendations for good cycling sandals with cleats?

I've heard good things about the old Shimano line but the new ones have very mixed reviews.

(Yes I realize they'll make me look like this guy, and I accept the consequences.)
005_shimano-sd5-sandals-1525185569198-16q7y1s97o186-3b988b1-e1589462726106.jpg

I changed the title since this has gone a few different directions and there isn't much for cycling threads here.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I need to put some tires on and I hate putting new tires on.

Have I got a deal for you.

I was actually shocked how easy it was. Once I cleaned out all the sealant it took me like a half hour to put my tubes in. Cleaning them out was the *****.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
All of the tube vs tubeless talk reminds me of my first car. Tubeless Dunlaps run with tubes cause wire wheel rims on the old MGB. Also the era of bias tires with radial starting to gain traction.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
My FIL has some he loves. I'll check with him. I don't really get the sandals though? It seems like the straps would rub.

Maybe. They do seem pretty popular among the RAGBRAI crowd and I pretty much live in my Chaco sandals spring-fall anyway. Plus I often end up stopping along a stream or lake during the ride to let my kid throw rocks in the water which leads to wet feet. Really they just need to make a Chaco cycling sandal and I'll never buy another shoe.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Yeah, I think I made a mistake here. I wanted to run a little lower pressure and get a little better ride and less risk of flats since I got one on my first ride without hitting anything obvious. Live an learn. Worst case I guess I buy a tube and call it a $100 lesson.

I personally would stay away from the tubeless tires. Just seems like something that is going to leave you stranded more often than the tubed tires. even if you punch a hole in a tire, you can usually put something over the hole and limp on it with a tube. I usually carry a $1 bill in my bag for this, or in case there is a strip joint on the ride.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone have recommendations for good cycling sandals with cleats?

I've got the ones from Nashbar and I like them. They're pretty comfortable, although weird tan lines that disrupt my Colorado Chaco tan. I wish I had bought the Keen cycling sandals just because every pair of Keen shoes I have tried is super comfortable, but they're hard to find anymore.

https://www.nashbar.com/nashbar-ragster-ii-cycling-sandals-37-na-rcs2-37-wh/p979928?v=898495

Reactions: LeaningCy

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Maybe. They do seem pretty popular among the RAGBRAI crowd and I pretty much live in my Chaco sandals spring-fall anyway. Plus I often end up stopping along a stream or lake during the ride to let my kid throw rocks in the water which leads to wet feet. Really they just need to make a Chaco cycling sandal and I'll never buy another shoe.

I don't know why Chaco hasn't done this. They would fly off the shelves.

There used to be a company called Retrofitz that sold a DIY kit, but they're out of business now. If I could find a set, I might try to install them on my old Chacos.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
A Peloton is probably coming before any other bike. I wish there were a cheaper alternative other than just a stationary bike but all the other ones seem to be priced pretty close or they have downfalls.
I really like our peleton, wife loves it. If I didn’t have the wife wanting the peloton I’d have considered a smart trainer and zwift type solution I think.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

I've heard good things about the old Shimano line but the new ones have very mixed reviews.

(Yes I realize they'll make me look like this guy, and I accept the consequences.)
005_shimano-sd5-sandals-1525185569198-16q7y1s97o186-3b988b1-e1589462726106.jpg
Old = good.
New = not great

I'm still looking

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I went in to get tubes last week and they had a sick Roubaix and Allez. Had to get out of there. This is worse than golf equipment and for me that's saying something.
Run. Would love the new Roubaix.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I personally would stay away from the tubeless tires. Just seems like something that is going to leave you stranded more often than the tubed tires. even if you punch a hole in a tire, you can usually put something over the hole and limp on it with a tube. I usually carry a $1 bill in my bag for this, or in case there is a strip joint on the ride.
Just carry a spare tube like you normally would. They ARE better than tubed tires once setup.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
I don't know why Chaco hasn't done this. They would fly off the shelves.

There used to be a company called Retrofitz that sold a DIY kit, but they're out of business now. If I could find a set, I might try to install them on my old Chacos.

I was looking at that too, please report back if you try it. In the meantime, I may have just sent a product suggestion email to Chaco customer service begging them to come out with a cycling sandal.

Reactions: isukendall

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
My friends who ride religiously always say "The correct number of bikes you need is n + 1" where n = the number of bikes you currently own.

N+1 is most common formula to use when you get into cycling. However, as your collection grows AND if you are in a relationship S-1 is key. In this formula "S" is the number of bikes you may own before your partner leaves your ass (separates). I've learned my "S" is somewhere around 7. I've donated 2 of my older bikes last year so I can pick up another here soon once inventory starts to build.

Last edited:

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
A Peloton is probably coming before any other bike. I wish there were a cheaper alternative other than just a stationary bike but all the other ones seem to be priced pretty close or they have downfalls.

Ditch the peloton idea and go with a smart trainer instead. You get the benefit of riding your actual bike which will likely (should) have a proper fit done on it. Plus, you can swap multiple bikes on there depending on what you are training for. You can also store it much easier than a peloton. Just my $0.02.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Full carbon?

Nah. That was going to put me significantly above what I wanted to spend and I wanted to make sure I was going to like the hobby before I spent that much. I also looked for used but didn't find much. Of course, as soon as I bought that one a bunch started popping up online. That's fine. With a few tweaks I can make that bike pretty fast and it's real comfortable. If I ever decide to get something faster, it'll be a completely different frame anyway.

Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron