Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
They need to flush the old guard but they won't and will suffer because of it.
Makes me sad and happy at the same time.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
That was my first thought too, but I'm not sure it necessarily means that?

Even if Doyle isn't gone, would you want to be his son and still be playing there? I think it would be a bad situation for him either way, so why not just get out.
True, but I don't think he makes that announcement right now unless he knows his dad is gone. It's just more fuel on the fire. I could be wrong, but I think this shows Doyle is gone.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
True, but I don't think he makes that announcement right now unless he knows his dad is gone. It's just more fuel on the fire. I could be wrong, but I think this shows Doyle is gone.

Maybe Kirk brought him in and told him he was sending him back to the ghetto like his dad did to players. Kirk will probably then use that to prove he doesn't know what a ghetto is.

Reactions: Acylum

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
(wipes sweat from forehead)

Just for clarification: I would have run the DJK interview through sources if I was in charge over there. I would have - based on his history - checked it for credibility. But I wouldn't have just thrown it out.

I called Rob this morning to invite him on the show to talk about all of his reporting. Then HN took it down. It bothered me so we reached out to Joe to tell him that I was going to come down on the decision and give him an opportunity to share his side.

I'm not perfect. Neither is our site. What bothered me is hanging his employee out to dry like that. That bothered me more than any of the journalistic conversation to be had - and there is a lot of it.

I feel really bad for Rob Howe tonight.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Just for clarification: I would have run the DJK interview through sources if I was in charge over there. I would have - based on his history - checked it for credibility. But I wouldn't have just thrown it out.

I called Rob this morning to invite him on the show to talk about all of his reporting. Then HN took it down. It bothered me so we reached out to Joe to tell him that I was going to come down on the decision and give him an opportunity to share his side.

I'm not perfect. Neither is our site. What bothered me is hanging his employee out to dry like that. That bothered me more than any of the journalistic conversation to be had - and there is a lot of it.

Feeling bad for a hawkeye reporter has hurt more ways than one doesn't it?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

You could always hire Rob over to the good side?

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
With all of these accounts, and what was brought to light by DJK, I think it would've been EXTREMELY difficult to show any sort of support that went against any of the coach's wishes. KF was threatening his player's futures. I know you're probably not blaming those guys for not speaking up, but I just can't see how that was a viable option at the time. That's why the discussion right now is so important.
Ever hear an abused spouse continue to support their abuser?
I think this is very similar in many respects.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

Correct me plz if I’m wrong....

But this entire story has dealt with allowing Black athletes to tell their story and have their voices heard on what happened in their life at Iowa..

DJK has as much right to tell his story as anyone...Rob Howe called the U of Iowa and gave them an opportunity to respond...they declined.

Pulling the story is exactly what is and has been wrong. We only should see and hear stories from kids who were “good kids”?

Pulling that story only adds to the narrative imo.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

But this entire story has dealt with allowing Black athletes to tell their story and have their voices heard on what happened in their life at Iowa..

DJK has as much right to tell his story as anyone...Rob Howe called the U of Iowa and gave them an opportunity to respond...they declined.

Pulling the story is exactly what is and has been wrong. We only should see and hear stories from kids who were “good kids”?

But........................Kirk is a changed man!!

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Chris, Chmelka referenced Hawkeye Nation not having a good relationship with the U of I like Cyclone Fanatic does with ISU. He said it quickly and sort of in passing so I wasn't sure if you guys heard that on the air.

Do you know what he's referencing there? A specific incident, or something more general like the U of I's known standoffishness and attempt to control the media people who cover them?

By saying he has to see everything controversial, he just killed any reason anybody ever had to take that site seriously. And maybe nobody did anyway, I don't frequent it myself so I don't know.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

Is the actual article still out there?

Chris this is more a question for you. First I have always viewed Hawkeye Nation as something in between Cyclone Fanatic and WRNL. I obviously missed the actual story and turned the radio on part way through you talking to Rob.

The impression I got and I think the difference between you and the Hawkeye Nation guy was that it seems Rob didn’t follow the procedures he was supposed to to publish that. I think that seemed to be the root issue. As you have reflected on the conversation would you agree that Rob probably hung himself out there by not following their policies? Even if you don’t like the policies.

I also wondered what you thought about the difference between posting a statement and an opinion piece. Based on my understanding a statement is just regurgitated but an opinion piece which is what this more sounded like is vetted.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Is the actual article still out there?

Chris this is more a question for you. First I have always viewed Hawkeye Nation as something in between Cyclone Fanatic and WRNL. I obviously missed the actual story and turned the radio on part way through you talking to Rob.

The impression I got and I think the difference between you and the Hawkeye Nation guy was that it seems Rob didn’t follow the procedures he was supposed to to publish that. I think that seemed to be the root issue. As you have reflected on the conversation would you agree that Rob probably hung himself out there by not following their policies?

I also wondered what you thought about the difference between posting a statement and an opinion piece. Based on my understanding a statement is just regurgitated but an opinion piece which is what this more sounded like is vetted.
Someone posted an alternate link a few pages back in this thread.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Reading DJKs story it seems to be a mixture of what he knows to be true ( first hand accounts) and what he thought to be true ( what he concluded based on the info he had). I think if the two would of be separated or clarified we'd likely see more support for the part DJK "knew to be true" of his account.

Way too much picking things apart line for line and using that to base opinion on the whole.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Technically Rob gave the U of I the chance to respond today, hours after he published DJK's story. If it were a hard news story you'd offer that chance to respond first.

This is a bit of a gray area on a number of levels. First, it was more of a guest op-ed than a news story; it's clear that it is a one-sided version of events. Second, it's being published on a fan web site where many/most are very familiar with the writer's history and their ability to judge his credibility is much higher than in a news story where the accuser was a random person nobody knew. Third, if I'm not mistaken, at least some of these accusations have been leveled before, though without this level of specificity. Finally, its contents were also part of a long string of accusations from dozens of people and you're not going to ask the U of I to comment on each of them.

For those reasons I can see why Rob decided to publish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron